LAFC and MLS Announce Continuation of 2020 Regular Season in Home Markets
The Los Angeles Football Club (LAFC) and Major League Soccer (MLS) today announced that the league's 25th season will continue in the home markets of the 26 clubs beginning Wednesday, August 12. LAFC's first match is scheduled for Saturday, August 22 against the Galaxy at Banc of California Stadium without fans in attendance.
Each club will play 18 additional regular season games in a phased approach, culminating with Decision Day on Sunday, Nov. 8. LAFC's first phase of matches features six games against Western Conference Clubs including Seattle Sounders FC, Portland Timbers, Real Salt Lake, San Jose Earthquakes and Galaxy. Media credential information for LAFC home matches will be sent out at a later date.
Following the Aug. 22 match against the Galaxy, LAFC will travel east to take on Real Salt Lake on Wednesday, August 26. The Club then heads to Seattle for a Sunday afternoon matchup against the Sounders FC on Aug. 30, before returning home to host San Jose on Wednesday, September 2. The Black & Gold will round out the first phase of matches with a second Galaxy matchup on Sunday, Sep. 6 and home matchup against Timbers FC on Sunday, Sep. 13.
MLS plans to announce the balance of the regular season schedule by early September as the league continues to work with infectious disease experts, league and club medical personnel, and government officials in all markets in charting a course for the completion of the 2020 season.
The return to play in home markets will feature comprehensive health and safety protocols, as MLS continues to work closely with the league's infectious disease advisors as well as advisors for the MLSPA on the plan for testing. All clubs are forming testing partnerships with a local certified lab, and all players, technical staff, and essential club staff will be tested every other day, including the day before each match day. Also, guidelines will be provided to players, coaches and essential staff to avoid the risk of contracting and spreading COVID-19 during their time away from club facilities.
In addition to adhering to health, safety and medical protocols, another focus of the new schedule is efficient travel. Teams will take chartered flights, and for the majority of road trips will arrive in the host market on matchday and depart after the match later that evening.
The continuation of Major League Soccer's 25th Season will air nationally in the U.S. on ESPN, FOX and Univision platforms, as well as regionally through individual club broadcast partners. All matches not aired by an English-language network will be streamed live in English on Twitter. Canadian broadcast schedules will be announced at a later date.
At this time, the majority of the matches in local markets will be played without fans in attendance. MLS and club leadership are working with local health authorities and government officials on a plan for limited capacity at certain games where allowed.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from August 8, 2020
- Rapids Announce Upcoming Regular Season Scheduling, Beginning August 22 against RSL - Colorado Rapids
- Inaugural Season Continues with Home Debut on August 22 - Inter Miami CF
- Everything You Need to Know About Resuming the 2020 MLS Season - Colorado Rapids
- Nashville Soccer Club Unveils Return to Play Plans Through September 12 - Nashville SC
- Major League Soccer Announces Continuation of Play in MLS Home Markets - New York Red Bulls
- Real Salt Lake Continues 2020 Season - Real Salt Lake
- LA Galaxy's First Six Matches of Continued Major League Soccer Season Announced - LA Galaxy
- MLS' 25th Season Continues in Local Markets in August - D.C. United
- MLS Announces Schedule for Continuation of 25th Regular Season - Atlanta United FC
- Timbers Continue Regular Season against Seattle Sounders FC at Providence Park on August 23 - Portland Timbers
- Chicago Fire FC to Continue 2020 MLS Regular Season at Soldier Field - Chicago Fire
- Philadelphia Union Announce Schedule for Continuation of Play in Home Markets - Philadelphia Union
- Sporting Releases Schedule for Next Six Matches, Announces Reduced-Capacity Plan - Sporting Kansas City
- First six games of FC Cincinnati's continuation of the regular season unveiled - FC Cincinnati
- Revolution Announce Six Games as MLS Season Continues in Home Markets - New England Revolution
- Orlando City SC Announces Schedule for In-Market Continuation of Play - Orlando City SC
- Columbus Crew SC's 25th Regular Season to Continue as Major League Soccer Announces Plan to Return to Home Markets - Columbus Crew SC
- MLS Regular Season to Continue in Local Markets in August - San Jose Earthquakes
- New York City FC Announces Continuation of Play with Phase 1 of 2020 MLS Regular Season - New York City FC
- MNUFC to Continue MLS Season in Local Markets - Minnesota United FC
- FC Dallas Resumes MLS Play with Two Home Matches vs Nashville SC - FC Dallas
- Houston Dynamo Return to BBVA Stadium in MLS Play August 21 vs. FC Dallas - Houston Dynamo
- MLS' 25th Season Continues in Local Markets in August - MLS
- Pizarro, Robles Excited for Continuation of MLS in South Florida - Inter Miami CF
- MLS' 25th Season Continues in Local Markets in August - Philadelphia Union
- Major League Soccer Announces Schedule for 2020 Continuation of Play - Seattle Sounders FC
- LAFC and MLS Announce Continuation of 2020 Regular Season in Home Markets - Los Angeles FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Los Angeles FC Stories
- LAFC and Banc of California to Host Week-Long 'Banc of Resources' Virtual Content Series Beginning October 19
- LAFC Draws the Portland Timbers 1-1 on Sunday at Providence Park
- LAFC Travels to Face the Portland Timbers Tomorrow at Providence Park
- Banc Of California Stadium To Serve As Regional Voting Center Between October 30 - November 3
- LAFC Falls to Vancouver Whitecaps FC 2-1 on Wednesday at Providence Park