Houston Dynamo Return to BBVA Stadium in MLS Play August 21 vs. FC Dallas
HOUSTON - The Houston Dynamo will play their first match at BBVA Stadium in more than five months when they host their in-state rivals FC Dallas on Friday, Aug. 21, the Club and Major League Soccer announced today.
The Dynamo vs. FC Dallas match will be closed to fans and will have limited media access. That contest, and all other locally-televised Dynamo matches this season, will be broadcast live throughout the Greater Houston area on QuestTEXAS Ch. 55 as part of the Club's new broadcast agreement with TEGNA Inc.
Today's MLS announcement laid out the league's plans for its continuation of the 2020 season, which will include 18 matches from late August through Decision Day on November 8. Added to the two matches clubs played prior to the suspension of the season and three group-stage matches in the MLS Is Back Tournament, which counted toward regular-season records, clubs will each play 23 matches in the season. Houston resumes play with a cumulative record of 0-2-3 on the season.
The first phase of the return to play in home markets includes six matches for each club, three at home and three away. The return to play in home markets will feature comprehensive health and safety protocols, including regular testing of players, coaches and essential staff for COVID-19. The Dynamo continue to work with local health officials on protocols to facilitate a safe environment for fans to return to BBVA Stadium later this year.
Following the (re)opening day against FC Dallas, Houston's schedule will include a trip to Sporting Kansas City on Tuesday, Aug. 25 followed by back-to-back home matches against Minnesota United FC on Wednesday, Sept. 2 and Sporting Kansas City on Saturday, Sept. 5. The Dynamo wrap up the six-game opening stretch with visits to the Colorado Rapids on Wednesday, Sept. 9 and FC Dallas on Monday, Sept. 14.
As with the MLS is Back Tournament, COVID-19 testing protocols will again play an important role in MLS' competition framework. MLS continues to work closely with the league's infectious disease advisors as well as advisors for the MLSPA on the plan for testing. All clubs are forming testing partnerships with a local certified lab, and all players, technical staff, and essential club staff will be tested every other day, including the day before each match. Also, guidelines will be provided to players, coaches and essential staff to avoid the risk of contracting and spreading COVID-19 during their time away from club facilities.
In addition to adhering to health, safety and medical protocols, another focus of the new schedule is efficient travel. Teams will take chartered flights, and for the majority of road trips will arrive in the host market on matchday and depart after the match later that evening.
The full Dynamo schedule for Phase 1 of the league's continuation of play can be found below. MLS plans to announce the balance of the regular season schedule by early September as the league continues to work with infectious disease experts, league and club medical personnel, and government officials in all markets in charting a course for the completion of the 2020 season.
HOUSTON DYNAMO MLS PHASE 1 RESTART SCHEDULE
DATE OPPONENT TIME (CT) TELEVISION
Friday, Aug. 21 vs. FC Dallas 7:00 p.m. QuestTEXAS Ch. 55
Tuesday, Aug. 25 at Sporting Kansas City 7:30 p.m. QuestTEXAS Ch. 55
Wednesday, Sept. 2 vs. Minnesota United FC 7:00 p.m. QuestTEXAS Ch. 55
Saturday, Sept. 5 vs. Sporting Kansas City 7:00 p.m. QuestTEXAS Ch. 55
Wednesday, Sept. 9 at Colorado Rapids 8:00 p.m. QuestTEXAS Ch. 55
Monday, Sept. 14 at FC Dallas 7:30 p.m. QuestTEXAS Ch. 55
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from August 8, 2020
- Rapids Announce Upcoming Regular Season Scheduling, Beginning August 22 against RSL - Colorado Rapids
- Inaugural Season Continues with Home Debut on August 22 - Inter Miami CF
- Everything You Need to Know About Resuming the 2020 MLS Season - Colorado Rapids
- Nashville Soccer Club Unveils Return to Play Plans Through September 12 - Nashville SC
- Major League Soccer Announces Continuation of Play in MLS Home Markets - New York Red Bulls
- Real Salt Lake Continues 2020 Season - Real Salt Lake
- LA Galaxy's First Six Matches of Continued Major League Soccer Season Announced - LA Galaxy
- MLS' 25th Season Continues in Local Markets in August - D.C. United
- MLS Announces Schedule for Continuation of 25th Regular Season - Atlanta United FC
- Timbers Continue Regular Season against Seattle Sounders FC at Providence Park on August 23 - Portland Timbers
- Chicago Fire FC to Continue 2020 MLS Regular Season at Soldier Field - Chicago Fire
- Philadelphia Union Announce Schedule for Continuation of Play in Home Markets - Philadelphia Union
- Sporting Releases Schedule for Next Six Matches, Announces Reduced-Capacity Plan - Sporting Kansas City
- First six games of FC Cincinnati's continuation of the regular season unveiled - FC Cincinnati
- Revolution Announce Six Games as MLS Season Continues in Home Markets - New England Revolution
- Orlando City SC Announces Schedule for In-Market Continuation of Play - Orlando City SC
- Columbus Crew SC's 25th Regular Season to Continue as Major League Soccer Announces Plan to Return to Home Markets - Columbus Crew SC
- MLS Regular Season to Continue in Local Markets in August - San Jose Earthquakes
- New York City FC Announces Continuation of Play with Phase 1 of 2020 MLS Regular Season - New York City FC
- MNUFC to Continue MLS Season in Local Markets - Minnesota United FC
- FC Dallas Resumes MLS Play with Two Home Matches vs Nashville SC - FC Dallas
- Houston Dynamo Return to BBVA Stadium in MLS Play August 21 vs. FC Dallas - Houston Dynamo
- MLS' 25th Season Continues in Local Markets in August - MLS
- Pizarro, Robles Excited for Continuation of MLS in South Florida - Inter Miami CF
- MLS' 25th Season Continues in Local Markets in August - Philadelphia Union
- Major League Soccer Announces Schedule for 2020 Continuation of Play - Seattle Sounders FC
- LAFC and MLS Announce Continuation of 2020 Regular Season in Home Markets - Los Angeles FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Houston Dynamo Stories
- Dynamo & 76 to Host Drive-In Watch Party for FC Dallas Match at Space City Shows
- Dynamo Rally Late for 2-2 Draw at Minnesota
- Three Points: Houston Dynamo Travel to Allianz Field to Face Minnesota United FC
- Dynamo Fall to Nashville SC 3-1
- Three Points: Houston Dynamo Close Two-Game Stretch Versus Eastern Conference Opponents against Nashville SC