Major League Soccer Announces Continuation of Play in MLS Home Markets
HARRISON, N.J. - Major League Soccer announced today plans for the continuation of the MLS season with matches in home markets. The next phase of the regular season will feature six regionalized matches, with the Red Bulls slate of games kicking off against New York City FC on Thursday, August 20. The return to play in home markets will feature comprehensive health and safety protocols, including regular testing of players, coaches and essential staff for COVID-19.
Each club will play 18 additional regular season games in a phased approach, culminating with Decision Day on Sunday, Nov. 8. In an expansion of the postseason for 2020, 18 clubs will compete in the Audi MLS Cup Playoffs -- up from 14 teams last year. MLS Cup will be played on Dec. 12.
MLS announced today the initial phase of the league's revised schedule with each U.S. club playing six matches by Sept. 14. The Red Bulls will host NYCFC, D.C. United and Philadelphia Union, with trips to D.C., Philadelphia and New England scheduled as well. The full schedule is below.
Red Bull Arena will also be the host venue for New York City FC's home matches.
For the health and safety of all involved, and in an attempt to limit the spread of COVID-19 in our community, matches at Red Bull Arena will resume without fans.
"Our fans are at the center of everything we do, and while we miss seeing them at Red Bull Arena, the safest thing for everyone involved is to limit the opportunities for exposure in our community," said General Manager Marc de Grandpre. "We are all excited about getting back on the field, but we must do so in the safest and most responsible way possible."
MSG Networks will broadcast five of the six matches, while the Red Bulls will play on FS1 once, a meeting with the New England Revolution at Gillette Stadium on Saturday, August 29. Red Bulls Radio will carry all matches as well.
New York Red Bulls schedule
DATE OPPONENT VENUE Time (ET)
Thursday, Aug 20 (MSG) NYCFC Red Bull Arena 7:00 p.m.
Tuesday, Aug 25 (MSG) Philadelphia Union Subaru Park 7:30 p.m.
Saturday, Aug 29 (FS1) NE Revolution Gillette Stadium 8:00 p.m.
Wednesday, Sept 2 (MSG) D.C. United Red Bull Arena 7:30 p.m.
Sunday, Sept 6 (MSG) Philadelphia Union Red Bull Arena 7:00 p.m.
Saturday, Sept 12 (MSG) D.C. United Audi Field 7:00 p.m.
MLS plans to announce the balance of the regular season schedule by early September as the league continues to work with infectious disease experts, league and club medical personnel, and government officials in all markets in charting a course for the completion of the 2020 season.
As with the MLS is Back Tournament, COVID-19 testing protocols will again play an important role in MLS' competition framework. MLS continues to work closely with the league's infectious disease advisors as well as advisors for the MLSPA on the plan for testing. All clubs are forming testing partnerships with a local certified lab, and all players, technical staff, and essential club staff will be tested every other day, including the day before each match day. Also, guidelines will be provided to players, coaches and essential staff to avoid the risk of contracting and spreading COVID-19 during their time away from club facilities.
In addition to adhering to health, safety and medical protocols, another focus of the new schedule is efficient travel. Teams will take chartered flights, and for the majority of road trips will arrive in the host market on matchday and depart after the match later that evening.
The continuation of Major League Soccer's 25th Season will air nationally in the U.S. on ESPN, FOX Sports and Univision platforms, as well as regionally through individual club broadcast partners. All matches not aired by an English-language network will be streamed live in English on Twitter. Canadian broadcast schedules will be announced at a later date.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from August 8, 2020
- Rapids Announce Upcoming Regular Season Scheduling, Beginning August 22 against RSL - Colorado Rapids
- Inaugural Season Continues with Home Debut on August 22 - Inter Miami CF
- Everything You Need to Know About Resuming the 2020 MLS Season - Colorado Rapids
- Nashville Soccer Club Unveils Return to Play Plans Through September 12 - Nashville SC
- Major League Soccer Announces Continuation of Play in MLS Home Markets - New York Red Bulls
- Real Salt Lake Continues 2020 Season - Real Salt Lake
- LA Galaxy's First Six Matches of Continued Major League Soccer Season Announced - LA Galaxy
- MLS' 25th Season Continues in Local Markets in August - D.C. United
- MLS Announces Schedule for Continuation of 25th Regular Season - Atlanta United FC
- Timbers Continue Regular Season against Seattle Sounders FC at Providence Park on August 23 - Portland Timbers
- Chicago Fire FC to Continue 2020 MLS Regular Season at Soldier Field - Chicago Fire
- Philadelphia Union Announce Schedule for Continuation of Play in Home Markets - Philadelphia Union
- Sporting Releases Schedule for Next Six Matches, Announces Reduced-Capacity Plan - Sporting Kansas City
- First six games of FC Cincinnati's continuation of the regular season unveiled - FC Cincinnati
- Revolution Announce Six Games as MLS Season Continues in Home Markets - New England Revolution
- Orlando City SC Announces Schedule for In-Market Continuation of Play - Orlando City SC
- Columbus Crew SC's 25th Regular Season to Continue as Major League Soccer Announces Plan to Return to Home Markets - Columbus Crew SC
- MLS Regular Season to Continue in Local Markets in August - San Jose Earthquakes
- New York City FC Announces Continuation of Play with Phase 1 of 2020 MLS Regular Season - New York City FC
- MNUFC to Continue MLS Season in Local Markets - Minnesota United FC
- FC Dallas Resumes MLS Play with Two Home Matches vs Nashville SC - FC Dallas
- Houston Dynamo Return to BBVA Stadium in MLS Play August 21 vs. FC Dallas - Houston Dynamo
- MLS' 25th Season Continues in Local Markets in August - MLS
- Pizarro, Robles Excited for Continuation of MLS in South Florida - Inter Miami CF
- MLS' 25th Season Continues in Local Markets in August - Philadelphia Union
- Major League Soccer Announces Schedule for 2020 Continuation of Play - Seattle Sounders FC
- LAFC and MLS Announce Continuation of 2020 Regular Season in Home Markets - Los Angeles FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent New York Red Bulls Stories
- White's Late-Match Equalizer Secures Point from Orlando City
- New York and Orlando City Conclude Home-And-Home at RBA
- Red Bulls Blank Atlanta United Again, 1-0, in 2020
- New York Red Bulls Name Bernd Eibler Assistant Coach
- New York and Toronto FC Clash at Rentschler Field on Wednesday