Thunder School Walleye in Education Day Battle, 3-2
TOLEDO, OH - The Adirondack Thunder won their second straight game as they downed the Toledo Walleye in a morning contest from the Huntington Center 3-2.
The Thunder got off to another fast-paced start in the game, putting two shots on goal in the first 20 seconds of the game. But it wouldn't be until the 8:52 mark that Adirondack found the back of the net. Matt Salhany created a rush from his own blueline and sprung Hayden Verbeek and James Phelan on an odd-man rush. Salhany received the puck as the trailer and wristed a shot past Filip Larsson for his sixth of the season.
Toledo answered with a powerplay goal at 12:54 after Tommy Parran took a slashing penalty. Eamon McAdam made a flurry of saves but the follow up try on the goalmouth scramble would result in Loggins' third goal of the season and tied the game.
Adirondack regained the lead at 16:45 when Matt Salhany created another odd-man rush. He found Robbie Payne in the offensive zone on a two-on-one. Payne was able to step around a Walleye d-man and find Mike Szmatula on the back door for his sixth of the season
The Thunder extended their lead to two when Charlie Curti took a seeing-eye wrist shot from the center point that was re-directed into the back of the net. Curti's fourth of the season was assisted by Ara Nazarian at 10:32 of the second period.
Toledo pulled within one when Charle-Edouard D'Astous pounced on the rebound for his second goal of the season, but Adirondack hung on thanks to some game saving stops by Eamon McAdam to win by a final score of 3-2.
Adirondack had two powerplay chances and could not convert while Toledo cashed in on one of their two powerplay opportunities of the game. The Thunder were outshot by Toledo 30-20.
The Thunder battle the Maine Mariners on Friday night at Cool Insuring Arena. Puck drop is scheduled for 7:00pm!
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from December 4, 2019
- Game Preview: Everblades at IceMen, December 4, 2019 - Jacksonville IceMen
- IceMen Edge Everblades in Overtime Shootout Thriller - Jacksonville IceMen
- 'Blades Earn Point against IceMen to Close Road Trip - Florida Everblades
- Stingrays Top Atlanta 5-3 for 11th Road Win - South Carolina Stingrays
- 3-Goal Second Not Enough at Newfoundland, 6-4 - Reading Royals
- Growlers Dethrone the Royals 6-4 - Newfoundland Growlers
- ECHL Transactions - December 4 - ECHL
- Mariners Raise $3870 for Men's Health in "Movember" - Maine Mariners
- Tyler Coulter Named Howie's Hockey Tape ECHL Rookie of the Month - Rapid City Rush
- Rapid City's Coulter Named Howies Hockey Tape/ECHL Rookie of the Month - ECHL
- Allen Americans Game Capsule - Allen Americans
- Late Rally Not Enough as Walleye Fall to Adirondack - Toledo Walleye
- ECHL Announces Fine, Suspension - ECHL
- Taylor Returns to Kalamazoo, Pope Reassigned to Utica - Kalamazoo Wings
- Beast Shutout on School Day - Brampton Beast
- Railers Register First Shutout of Season with 2-0 Win in Brampton - Worcester Railers HC
- Atlanta Gets Boost on Offense - Atlanta Gladiators
- Thunder School Walleye in Education Day Battle, 3-2 - Adirondack Thunder
- Cuddemi Is 4th Royal to Win Player of Month Award - Reading Royals
- Reading's Cuddemi Named Warrior Hockey/ECHL Player of the Month - ECHL
- D Graves Traded to Wichita - Reading Royals
- Thunder Acquires Defenseman from Reading - Wichita Thunder
- Cincinnati's Luukkonen Named Warrior Hockey/ECHL Goaltender of the Month - ECHL
- Luukkonen Named ECHL Goaltender of the Month - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Royals and Growlers Match up for 9th Time - Reading Royals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Adirondack Thunder Stories
- McAdam Earns Shutout as Thunder Rout Railers, 5-0
- Disallowed Goal in Third Costs Adirondack in 4-2 Loss to Reading
- Thunder Drop Home Tilt against Mariners, 4-1
- John Edwardh Returns to Thunder as Part of Three-Team Trade
- Thunder Penalty Kill Shines in 4-2 Win over Mariners