Luukkonen Named ECHL Goaltender of the Month
Cincinnati, OH - The Cincinnati Cyclones, in conjunction with the ECHL, have announced that goaltender Ukko-Pekka Luukkonen has been named the recipient of the Warrior Hockey / ECHL Goaltender of the Month for November. The rookie sensation posted a record of 6-2-1-0 along with a 1.88 goals-against average and a .925 save percentage.
Hailing from Espoo, FIN, Luukkonen allowed more than two goals on just three occasions, and stopped 22 or more shots in seven of his nine contests. His month was highlighted by back-to-back shutouts on November 14 and 16, stopping all 22 shots he faced in a 1-0 win over the Allen Americans, before steering aside all 23 shots he faced in a 5-0 win over the Ft. Wayne Komets two nights later. He was named the Warrior Hockey / ECHL Goaltender of the Week for his efforts.
Drafted by the Buffalo Sabres, Cincinnati's National Hockey League (NHL) affiliate, in the second round of the 2017 NHL Entry Draft, Luukkonen ranks third in the ECHL in GAA and is fifth in save percentage.
Luukkonen is coming off a successful season with the Sudbury Wolves in the Ontario Hockey League (OHL) where he posted a record of 38-11-2, along with a 2.50 goals-against average and a .920 save percentage. He was named OHL Goaltender of the Year for his efforts, and he also earned the Red Tilson Trophy, which is given to the Most Outstanding Player in the League. He is the first European import player to earn that award.
Luukkonen made his North American debut late last season, stopping 32 shots in a 4-2 win over the Belleville Senators on April 14. He has also seen time on the international stage with the Finnish National Team, earning a gold medal in both the 2019 Under-20 World Junior Championships and 2017 Under-18 World Junior Championships, and he helped backstop the Finnish squad to a silver medal in the 2017 U18 WJC. Luukkonen has also suited up on the Finnish club level for the HPK program from 2014-18, winning a Jr. A SM-liiga Championship in 2017.
The 2019-20 Cincinnati Cyclones season is upon us! The defending Brabham Cup champion Cyclones are looking to build off of last season's success, and we invite YOU to join us for the ride! Single game tickets, along with season and group ticket packages for every game this season are on sale now, and you can get more info by calling (513) 421-PUCK! Stay on top of all the latest team updates and information on Facebook, Twitter (@CincyCyclones), and Instagram, along with our website , www.cycloneshockey.com!
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from December 4, 2019
- Game Preview: Everblades at IceMen, December 4, 2019 - Jacksonville IceMen
- IceMen Edge Everblades in Overtime Shootout Thriller - Jacksonville IceMen
- 'Blades Earn Point against IceMen to Close Road Trip - Florida Everblades
- Stingrays Top Atlanta 5-3 for 11th Road Win - South Carolina Stingrays
- 3-Goal Second Not Enough at Newfoundland, 6-4 - Reading Royals
- Growlers Dethrone the Royals 6-4 - Newfoundland Growlers
- ECHL Transactions - December 4 - ECHL
- Mariners Raise $3870 for Men's Health in "Movember" - Maine Mariners
- Tyler Coulter Named Howie's Hockey Tape ECHL Rookie of the Month - Rapid City Rush
- Rapid City's Coulter Named Howies Hockey Tape/ECHL Rookie of the Month - ECHL
- Allen Americans Game Capsule - Allen Americans
- Late Rally Not Enough as Walleye Fall to Adirondack - Toledo Walleye
- ECHL Announces Fine, Suspension - ECHL
- Taylor Returns to Kalamazoo, Pope Reassigned to Utica - Kalamazoo Wings
- Beast Shutout on School Day - Brampton Beast
- Railers Register First Shutout of Season with 2-0 Win in Brampton - Worcester Railers HC
- Atlanta Gets Boost on Offense - Atlanta Gladiators
- Thunder School Walleye in Education Day Battle, 3-2 - Adirondack Thunder
- Cuddemi Is 4th Royal to Win Player of Month Award - Reading Royals
- Reading's Cuddemi Named Warrior Hockey/ECHL Player of the Month - ECHL
- D Graves Traded to Wichita - Reading Royals
- Thunder Acquires Defenseman from Reading - Wichita Thunder
- Cincinnati's Luukkonen Named Warrior Hockey/ECHL Goaltender of the Month - ECHL
- Luukkonen Named ECHL Goaltender of the Month - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Royals and Growlers Match up for 9th Time - Reading Royals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.