Growlers Dethrone the Royals 6-4
The Newfoundland Growlers broke out the brooms Tuesday night sweeping the mid-week series against the Reading Royals in a 6-4 victory at Mile One Centre to re-claim the top seed in the North Division.
Joseph Duszak picked up right where he left off in last night's game where he was the overtime hero and opened the scoring just 1:29 into the game after capitalizing on a 3-on-1 and beating Felix Sandstrom glove-side to give the Growlers an early 1-0 lead. Evan Neugold doubled the lead to 2-0 with 1:56 remaining in the opening period after his wrister deflected off a Royals player, and Brady Ferguson sniped a powerplay goal blocker-side with 57 seconds remaining in the first period sending the Growlers to the dressing room up 3-0 after 20 minutes of play.
Matt Bradley looked to extend the lead to 4-0 at the three-minute mark of the second period after beating Sandstrom cleanly, but the puck struck iron and bounced out. Ralph Cuddemi continued his dominating start to the season 4:22 into the middle frame to get Reading on the board after beating Maksim Zhukov for his 20th goal in 23 games and to cut the Growlers lead to 3-1.
Marcus Power re-stored the three-goal lead with 9:02 remaining in the second period after cleaning up a mess in the Royals crease and sliding it home for a 4-1 score, but Max Willman made good on a cross-ice feed and fired home a power-play goal at 14:30 for a 4-2 game.
Trevor Gooch cut the lead to one with 1:14 remaining in the second period after capitalizing on a turnover for a partial break that beat Zhukov for a 4-3 Growlers lead after 40 minutes of play.
Evan Neugold hit the empty net with 1:26 to play in the game for a 5-3 lead, and Eric Knodel brought the Royals to within one just 30 seconds later, but Giorgio Estephan hit another empty netter with 14 seconds left sealing the deal for a 6-4 final score.
Grand Falls-Winsor native A.J. Whiffen was signed as an emergency backup prior to puck drop
Evan Neugold extended his point streak to six games
The three stars were 3 - F. DiChiara (REA), 2 - E. Neugold (NFL) and 1 - B. Ferguson (NFL)
The Newfoundland Growlers continue their four-game homestand Friday night against the Worcester Railers, ECHL affiliate of the New York Islanders on Batman night where the Growlers will wear special Batman themed jerseys. Puck drop is 7 p.m. Tickets are available at the Mile One Centre Box Office or online at mileonecentre.com.
Reading Royals (13-6-4-0) at Newfoundland Growlers (15-8-0-0)
Wednesday, December 4th at Mile One Centre
V-H # Per Team Time Goals Assists Type On Ice (+/-)
0 - 1 1 1st NFL 1:29 J. Duszak (4) B. Ferguson V 8 15 27 28 67 H 3 9 21 22 39
0 - 2 2 1st NFL 18:04 E. Neugold (4) G. Estephan, T. Skirving V 5 18 19 36 81 H 8 15 27 29 36
0 - 3 3 1st NFL 19:03 B. Ferguson (12) M. Hollowell, R. Woods PP V 5 15 27 81 H 9 11 13 22 29
1 - 3 4 2nd REA 4:22 R. Cuddemi (20) J. Mazza V 15 27 28 67 77 H 4 9 11 22 39
1 - 4 5 2nd NFL 10:58 M. Power (7) C. Conrad, G. Johnston V 7 8 9 20 77 H 3 4 9 22 39
2 - 4 6 2nd REA 14:33 M. Willman (3) F. DiChiara, E. Knodel PP V 5 15 21 28 67 H 8 27 29 36
3 - 4 7 2nd REA 18:46 T. Gooch (2) F. DiChiara V 7 8 9 19 21 H 3 9 11 13 17
3 - 5 8 3rd NFL 18:34 E. Neugold (5) EN V 7 8 9 27 28 36 H 8 15 22 29 36
4 - 5 9 3rd REA 19:03 E. Knodel (4) G. Cockerill V 5 15 19 21 28 67 H 3 9 13 21 27
4 - 6 10 3rd NFL 19:45 G. Estephan (8) M. Kapla EN V 5 15 19 21 28 67 H 8 15 22 29 36
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from December 4, 2019
- Game Preview: Everblades at IceMen, December 4, 2019 - Jacksonville IceMen
- IceMen Edge Everblades in Overtime Shootout Thriller - Jacksonville IceMen
- 'Blades Earn Point against IceMen to Close Road Trip - Florida Everblades
- Stingrays Top Atlanta 5-3 for 11th Road Win - South Carolina Stingrays
- 3-Goal Second Not Enough at Newfoundland, 6-4 - Reading Royals
- Growlers Dethrone the Royals 6-4 - Newfoundland Growlers
- ECHL Transactions - December 4 - ECHL
- Mariners Raise $3870 for Men's Health in "Movember" - Maine Mariners
- Tyler Coulter Named Howie's Hockey Tape ECHL Rookie of the Month - Rapid City Rush
- Rapid City's Coulter Named Howies Hockey Tape/ECHL Rookie of the Month - ECHL
- Allen Americans Game Capsule - Allen Americans
- Late Rally Not Enough as Walleye Fall to Adirondack - Toledo Walleye
- ECHL Announces Fine, Suspension - ECHL
- Taylor Returns to Kalamazoo, Pope Reassigned to Utica - Kalamazoo Wings
- Beast Shutout on School Day - Brampton Beast
- Railers Register First Shutout of Season with 2-0 Win in Brampton - Worcester Railers HC
- Atlanta Gets Boost on Offense - Atlanta Gladiators
- Thunder School Walleye in Education Day Battle, 3-2 - Adirondack Thunder
- Cuddemi Is 4th Royal to Win Player of Month Award - Reading Royals
- Reading's Cuddemi Named Warrior Hockey/ECHL Player of the Month - ECHL
- D Graves Traded to Wichita - Reading Royals
- Thunder Acquires Defenseman from Reading - Wichita Thunder
- Cincinnati's Luukkonen Named Warrior Hockey/ECHL Goaltender of the Month - ECHL
- Luukkonen Named ECHL Goaltender of the Month - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Royals and Growlers Match up for 9th Time - Reading Royals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Newfoundland Growlers Stories
- Growlers Earn Sixteenth Straight Win at Mile One Centre
- Growlers Earn Fifteenth Straight Win at Mile One Centre
- Growlers Pregame Notes: January 14 vs. Kansas City Mavericks
- Growlers Shutout the Mariners, Earn Ninth Straight Victory
- Growlers Halt the Railers 5-3, Earn 8th Straight Victory