Thunder Let Fans Paint the Ice
On Sunday, the Stockton Thunder, proud ECHL affiliate of the NHL's New York Islanders and the AHL's Bridgeport Sound Tigers, hosted "Kids Take Over Stockton Arena Night" presented by We Paint, Dr. Lester Low Family and Cosmetic Dentistry, and Naf's Ice Paints, as the Thunder defeated the San Francisco Bulls 5-1 in front of 4,774 fans.
The game allowed 47 members of "Thor's Puck Patrol" kids club to shadow many different arena and team jobs like broadcasters, journalists, photographers, ushers, ticket sales, and many more, so that they could experience what it takes to put on a hockey game.
"It is important to us as an organization to continue to grow our sport," team marketing manager Brandon Kisker said. "This event was put in place to give some of our youngsters an idea of what it takes to work for a sports team, while also teaching them a few lessons of what it takes to be a good writer, public address announcer, sales person, etc. Hopefully the kids learned a lot, had a ton of fun, and if they didn't already, have a great passion for the sport of hockey. "
After the game, the Thunder allowed kids and their parents down onto the Stockton Arena ice to paint on the actual surface itself. A total of 845 people participated, showcasing their artwork and painting alongside Thunder players who joined them.
"The goal was to do something new, unique and different both for Stockton and for hockey in general," team President Brian Sandy said. "We also wanted to give our young fans an opportunity to showcase their creativity and to have a chance to interact with our players in a fun environment."
The ice will now be sealed over and Stockton will play its next home game on the newly redecorated surface on January 3rd for "WE PAINT the Ice Night" as the Thunder make hockey history as the first team to play on ice covered in fan artwork. Friday's game will be at 7:30 p.m. PST, also against the San Francisco Bulls.
Check out the link below to see video of the painting process in action: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2kGlYlwtQI
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from December 30, 2013
- Three-point night from Parkes helps Walleye past K-Wings - Kalamazoo Wings
- Solar Bears Erase Two Goal Deficit in 4-3 Win - Orlando Solar Bears
- Blades' Strong Start Spoiled by Orlando Surge - Florida Everblades
- Elmira Jackals Weekly - Elmira Jackals
- Grizzlies Host Las Vegas Tuesday; Then to Orlando - Utah Grizzlies
- Walleye and Road Warriors Trade Players - Toledo Walleye
- Wranglers Reveal Indoor Winter Classic 2 Jersey - Las Vegas Wranglers
- Gameday: Everblades at Solar Bears, December 30, 2013 - Florida Everblades
- Thunder Let Fans Paint the Ice - Stockton Thunder
- Grizzlies Galiardi Begins Food Drive Initiative - Utah Grizzlies
- Blades Add Forward Stanfield - Florida Everblades
- ECHL Transactions - December 30 - ECHL
- Wheeling Nailers Weekly Report - Wheeling Nailers
- Elmira Jackals Announce this Season's 4-For-$44 - Elmira Jackals
- Game Preview: Solar Bears vs. Florida Everblades - Orlando Solar Bears
- Nailers, Penguins Swap Players - Wheeling Nailers
- Forward Dustin Gazley and Goaltender Riley Gill Recalled - Reading Royals
- Foster Earns First Bulls Call-Up of the Season - San Francisco Bulls
- Condors extend winning streak to three games - ECHL
- Weekly Sports League and Franchise Report - OSC Original by Dan Krieger
- The Weekly Warrior - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Stingrays Call up Forward Steve Mele from Columbus - South Carolina Stingrays
- Defenseman Little Back with Blades - Florida Everblades
- Condors Weekly: Smokin' Hot Condors Roll into 2014 - Bakersfield Condors
- Komets Host Walleye New Year's Eve - Fort Wayne Komets
- Cyclones Weekly - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Gladiators Heading into 2014 on a High Note - Atlanta Gladiators
- Burgdoerfer Earns First AHL Call-Up to Oklahoma City - Bakersfield Condors
- Countdown to Face-Off: Kalamazoo Wings vs Toledo Walleye - Kalamazoo Wings
- K-Wings Weekly - Kalamazoo Wings
- K-Wings Home Three Times this Week - Kalamazoo Wings
- New Year's Bash Game Time Changed - Kalamazoo Wings
- Stingrays Weekly: Stingrays Ring in the New Year with 2x2 Tuesday, Family Friday and Darius Rucker N - South Carolina Stingrays
- ECHL Transactions - December 30 - ECHL
- Thunder Start Great, Beat Bulls 5-1 - Stockton Thunder
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.