Thunder Edged by Arizona
WICHITA, KS- The Wichita Thunder lost 2-1 in a shootout to the Arizona Sundogs at the INTRUST Bank Arena on Saturday night. Arizona's Kyle Hood scored the lone goal in the shootout, while Doug Gronestege saved 40 of 41 in overtime and regulation for the win.
The Sundogs struck first with a power play goal at 7:31 in the first period. Mike Nesdill ripped a shot from the top of the right faceoff circle that bounced past the stick side of Ian Keserich. Wichita came within inches of scoring a goal early in the game. Groenestege, who is now 11-0-0 all-time against the Thunder, had to dive in front of a vacated crease to stick check a shot from Brent Ottmann that appeared headed for the back of the net.
After a scoreless second, the Thunder tied the game at 2:44 in the third on a power play goal from Brad Thompson. Mark Adamek took a slapshot from the blue line that Thompson redirected under the crossbar. Thompson nearly won the game in overtime, ripping a shot from the point of his own that got past Groenestege and clanked off the left post. Just seconds later, Joel Hanson appeared to beat Groenestege as well, but his shot also missed to the left by several inches.
Each team went 1 for 5 on the power play. The 41 shots for the Thunder were a new season-high. The game was the first overtime/shootout contest in the history of the INTRUST Bank Arena.
The Thunder heads to Mississippi to take on the RiverKings on Sunday at 3:05 p.m. All the action can be heard live worldwide at www.wichitathunder.com and www.allinbroadcasting.com The Thunder returns home on Wednesday when the RiverKings make another visit to the INTRUST Bank Arena. For tickets, call the Thunder office at (316) 264-GOAL.
• Discuss this story on the Central Hockey League message board...
Central Hockey League Stories from February 13, 2010
- IceRays knock out Mudbugs and cancer on Pink in the Rink night - Corpus Christi IceRays
- Brahmas send Americans across town with a loss - Fort Worth Brahmas
- Sellan's Hat-Trick Propels Mavericks to 6-1 Win - Kansas City Mavericks
- Third Period Undoes 'Bugs in Corpus - Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs
- Bucks Score Two in Third To Best Bees - Laredo Bucks
- Arizona Wins Fourth Straight Road Game, Tops Thunder, 2-1, in Shootout - Arizona Sundogs
- Sellan, Mavericks Stop RiverKings - Mississippi RiverKings
- Tulsa slides past Amarillo - Amarillo Gorillas
- Thunder Edged by Arizona - Wichita Thunder
- Rush Help Raise A record Breaking $60,000 For the Fight Against Cancer - Rapid City Rush
- RiverKings Meet Mavericks In Missouri Tonight - Mississippi RiverKings
- Tonight's Match Up - Tulsa Oilers
- Mudbugs To Celebrate Mardi Gras, Face IceRays Tomorrow - Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs
- Bucks Look To Bounce Back Tonight In Rio - Laredo Bucks
- Jaeger Slams Door To Catapult Brahmas Over Laredo In Standings - Fort Worth Brahmas
- Game On: Brahmas And Bucks Faceoff Tonight At NYTEX On $1 Coke Night - Fort Worth Brahmas
- IceRays Get Big 5-3 Win In Rio Grande Valley - Corpus Christi IceRays
- IceRays Announce Schedule Change - Corpus Christi IceRays
- Central Hockey League Introduces Game Live - CHL
- Oilers Edge RiverKings In Overtime - Mississippi RiverKings
- RiverKings Start Three-Game Weekend In Tulsa Tonight - Mississippi RiverKings
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Wichita Thunder Stories
- Rapid City Grabs OT Win vs. Wichita
- Rosters Changes Announced Ahead of 2020 Warrior ECHL All-Star Game, Presented by Toyota
- MeiGray to Auction Jerseys from 2020 Warrior ECHL All-Star Classic, Presented by Toyota
- Thunder Weekly, January 20
- Desharnais Returns to Wichita from Bako