Oilers Edge RiverKings In Overtime
TULSA, OK --- Dan Riedel's goal at 1:02 of the overtime period gave the Tulsa Oilers a 3-2 victory over the Mississippi RiverKings on Friday, February 12 at the BOK Center in Tulsa.
The loss increased a RiverKings winless streak to six games (0-5-1), dating back to January 30th entering a Saturday night conference game in Missouri against the Mavericks.
Mississippi got on the scoreboard first when Elias Godoy banged in a rebound past Tulsa goaltender Trevor Cann at 4:12 of the first period for a 1-0 lead. Bobby Chaumont and Matt Summers were given assists as Godoy came into the slot and shot the puck behind the Oilers' goaltender.
Tulsa tied the game just over five minutes later on a goal from Sean Erickson, assisted by Troy Riddle and Jim Henkemeyer, a goal that tied the game at 1-1 after one period of play.
There was no scoring in the second period as the RiverKings outshot the Oilers by a 12-7 margin in the period.
But, Tulsa got on the board early in the final frame to take a 2-1 lead on a goal from T.J. Caig, his 21st of the season at 1:36.
Mississippi continued the offensive pressure, which finally resulted in a power play goal from Matt Summers, who scored his ninth goal of the year from Chaumont and Godoy at 11:37 for a 2-2 tie.
Riedel's goal came after Derek Landmesser was called for cross-checking at 1:02 of the overtime period.
Mississippi was 1-for-7 on the power play, while Tulsa finished 1-for-3.
RiverKings goaltender Tim Boron saw his record fall to 1-5-2 with the overtime loss, despite stopping 23 shots on net. Cann was the winning goalie for Tulsa with a 31 save effort, as he moved his season record to 10-6-1.
Despite the loss, Mississippi remains in fourth place, one point ahead of the Oilers, as the RiverKings now have a 22-19-6 record for 50 points.
Next home action for the RiverKings comes this Sunday afternoon against Wichita at 3:05 PM. It's Pink in the Rink night for the American Cancer Society and breast cancer awareness. The RiverKings will wear special game jerseys which will be auctioned off after the game and there will be a post-game skate for fans after the game is done.
For RiverKings' ticket information, call 662-342-1755 or go online to www.riverkings.com today!
• Discuss this story on the Central Hockey League message board...
Central Hockey League Stories from February 13, 2010
- IceRays knock out Mudbugs and cancer on Pink in the Rink night - Corpus Christi IceRays
- Brahmas send Americans across town with a loss - Fort Worth Brahmas
- Sellan's Hat-Trick Propels Mavericks to 6-1 Win - Kansas City Mavericks
- Third Period Undoes 'Bugs in Corpus - Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs
- Bucks Score Two in Third To Best Bees - Laredo Bucks
- Arizona Wins Fourth Straight Road Game, Tops Thunder, 2-1, in Shootout - Arizona Sundogs
- Sellan, Mavericks Stop RiverKings - Mississippi RiverKings
- Tulsa slides past Amarillo - Amarillo Gorillas
- Thunder Edged by Arizona - Wichita Thunder
- Rush Help Raise A record Breaking $60,000 For the Fight Against Cancer - Rapid City Rush
- RiverKings Meet Mavericks In Missouri Tonight - Mississippi RiverKings
- Tonight's Match Up - Tulsa Oilers
- Mudbugs To Celebrate Mardi Gras, Face IceRays Tomorrow - Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs
- Bucks Look To Bounce Back Tonight In Rio - Laredo Bucks
- Jaeger Slams Door To Catapult Brahmas Over Laredo In Standings - Fort Worth Brahmas
- Game On: Brahmas And Bucks Faceoff Tonight At NYTEX On $1 Coke Night - Fort Worth Brahmas
- IceRays Get Big 5-3 Win In Rio Grande Valley - Corpus Christi IceRays
- IceRays Announce Schedule Change - Corpus Christi IceRays
- Central Hockey League Introduces Game Live - CHL
- Oilers Edge RiverKings In Overtime - Mississippi RiverKings
- RiverKings Start Three-Game Weekend In Tulsa Tonight - Mississippi RiverKings
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.