IceRays knock out Mudbugs and cancer on Pink in the Rink night
Justin Quenneville and Chad Woollard each had four point nights, and for the second straight night the Corpus Christi IceRays scored the final three goals of the game to beat the Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs 5-2 on Saturday night at the American Bank Center on Pink in the Rink Night. The game was part of a fundraiser with the American Cancer Society to raise money for the fight against breast cancer. The IceRays improved to 21-20-7 on the year, and increased their lead to four points ahead of Rio Grande Valley for the final playoff spot in the Southern Conference. The IceRays and Mudbugs will complete four-game weeks with a Sunday afternoon rematch in Bossier-Shreveport at 4:05pm. The game can be heard on ESPN 1230AM, beginning at 3:45pm. For more information, please call the IceRays at 361.814.PUCK or visit them online at www.goicerays.com.
The IceRays took the first lead of the game for a league-best 30th time this year when Justin Quenneville scored from the right circle after a Mudbugs turnover at 4:04. The IceRays lead was erased after David Rutherford capped off a great shift with a backhand goal past Kevin Beech at 8:57 to make it 1-1. The IceRays outshot the Mudbugs 16-10 in the period, and the teams went into the locker room tied at first intermission.
In the second period the IceRays again jumped ahead of the Bugs when Ryan Garbutt scored on a second effort snap shot from the left circle at 4:00. But again, the Bugs came back to tie the score as Justin Aikins tapped in a Rutherford setup from the IceRays crease at 6:13. The IceRays outshot the Mudbugs 9-5 in the period, and the clubs went to the third tied 2-2.
The IceRays pulled away and put the game out of reach in the third. Quenneville scored on a power play 52 seconds into the third period to give the Rays a 3-2 lead, and they never looked back. Matt Smyth scored on a slap shot from the right point at 3:46 to increase the lead to 4-2. Woollard then put on the finishing touch with his 200th CHL/WPHL goal from the left circle at 17:49 to extend his season-long goal scoring streak to five games.
Kevin Beech (10-5-3) earned the win, making 25 saves on 27 shots. John DeCaro (16-11-1) took the loss making 31 saves on 36 shots. The IceRays power play went 1-7 and the Bugs went 0-2. The IceRays outshot the Bugs 26-27 in the game.
The IceRays and Mudbugs will complete four-game weeks with a Sunday afternoon rematch in Bossier-Shreveport at 4:05pm. The game can be heard on ESPN 1230AM, beginning at 3:45pm. For more information, please call the IceRays at 361.814.PUCK or visit them online at www.goicerays.com.
• Discuss this story on the Central Hockey League message board...
Central Hockey League Stories from February 13, 2010
- IceRays knock out Mudbugs and cancer on Pink in the Rink night - Corpus Christi IceRays
- Brahmas send Americans across town with a loss - Fort Worth Brahmas
- Sellan's Hat-Trick Propels Mavericks to 6-1 Win - Kansas City Mavericks
- Third Period Undoes 'Bugs in Corpus - Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs
- Bucks Score Two in Third To Best Bees - Laredo Bucks
- Arizona Wins Fourth Straight Road Game, Tops Thunder, 2-1, in Shootout - Arizona Sundogs
- Sellan, Mavericks Stop RiverKings - Mississippi RiverKings
- Tulsa slides past Amarillo - Amarillo Gorillas
- Thunder Edged by Arizona - Wichita Thunder
- Rush Help Raise A record Breaking $60,000 For the Fight Against Cancer - Rapid City Rush
- RiverKings Meet Mavericks In Missouri Tonight - Mississippi RiverKings
- Tonight's Match Up - Tulsa Oilers
- Mudbugs To Celebrate Mardi Gras, Face IceRays Tomorrow - Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs
- Bucks Look To Bounce Back Tonight In Rio - Laredo Bucks
- Jaeger Slams Door To Catapult Brahmas Over Laredo In Standings - Fort Worth Brahmas
- Game On: Brahmas And Bucks Faceoff Tonight At NYTEX On $1 Coke Night - Fort Worth Brahmas
- IceRays Get Big 5-3 Win In Rio Grande Valley - Corpus Christi IceRays
- IceRays Announce Schedule Change - Corpus Christi IceRays
- Central Hockey League Introduces Game Live - CHL
- Oilers Edge RiverKings In Overtime - Mississippi RiverKings
- RiverKings Start Three-Game Weekend In Tulsa Tonight - Mississippi RiverKings
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Corpus Christi IceRays Stories
- Don'T Forget About Justin Quenneville's Retirement Party Tonight
- IceRays Host Street Hockey Challenge
- IceRays Season Ends With 2-0 Loss At Texas
- IceRays Fall 5-4 In Overtime To Brahmas, Trail Series 1-0
- IceRays Beat Killer Bees 6-3 In Regular Season Finale