Sellan's Hat-Trick Propels Mavericks to 6-1 Win
INDEPENDENCE, Missouri - Karl Sellan recorded the first hat-trick in team history and the Missouri Mavericks cruised to a 6-1 victory over the Mississippi RiverKings Saturday night in front of a sold out crowd of 5,800 fans at Independence Events Center. Sellan also had an assist to become the first player other than Jeff Christian to record a four-point game for the Mavericks. Toby Lafrance had three assists and Mavericks' goaltender Charlie Effinger stopped 39 of 40 shots for his second straight win. Missouri (22-22-4) reached the .500 mark and sits just two points below the RiverKings for the fifth and final playoff spot.
Sellan scored twice in the opening period to put the home team in the lead. His first goal came at the 6:37 mark when he lifted a rebound over the glove of RiverKings' goaltender Mark Sibbald. Sellan notched his second goal less than four minutes later when he took a centering pass from Simon Watson and again lifted it over the shoulder of Sibbald. That was all the offense the Mavericks would need, but the home team kept coming.
The Mavericks recorded just four shots in the second period, but kept the RiverKings off the board as well despite allowing 13 shots on net.
Missouri tied a team record with four goals in the third period on only nine shots. Jeff MacDermid scored his 18th goal of the season on the power play just 21 seconds into the final frame. Todd Paul registered his first goal of the season at 6:13 on assists from Nick Sirota and Lafrance. Sellan capped his hat-trick at the 10:10 mark on the Mavericks' third power play goal of the night. Sellan banged in a pass from Lafrance and MacDermid and the hats flooded the Independence Events Center ice.
Stephen Margeson tallied the RiverKings' only goal of the game at 12:37, a power play goal, but Missouri answered with Sirota's empty-net goal. The Mavericks' six goals marked the third time this season in which every fan in attendance was awarded a burger from Backyard Burgers.
Missouri heads to Tulsa Tuesday night to take on the Oilers in a pivotal Northern Conference match-up. Tune into all the action live on KCWJ 1030-AM, or watch live on CHL-TV. The Mavericks will cap the home and home with the Oilers when the teams faceoff at Independence Events Center on Thursday, February 18 at 7:05 p.m. For tickets call (866) 443-8849 or visit MissouriMavericks.com for more information.
• Discuss this story on the Central Hockey League message board...
Central Hockey League Stories from February 13, 2010
- IceRays knock out Mudbugs and cancer on Pink in the Rink night - Corpus Christi IceRays
- Brahmas send Americans across town with a loss - Fort Worth Brahmas
- Sellan's Hat-Trick Propels Mavericks to 6-1 Win - Kansas City Mavericks
- Third Period Undoes 'Bugs in Corpus - Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs
- Bucks Score Two in Third To Best Bees - Laredo Bucks
- Arizona Wins Fourth Straight Road Game, Tops Thunder, 2-1, in Shootout - Arizona Sundogs
- Sellan, Mavericks Stop RiverKings - Mississippi RiverKings
- Tulsa slides past Amarillo - Amarillo Gorillas
- Thunder Edged by Arizona - Wichita Thunder
- Rush Help Raise A record Breaking $60,000 For the Fight Against Cancer - Rapid City Rush
- RiverKings Meet Mavericks In Missouri Tonight - Mississippi RiverKings
- Tonight's Match Up - Tulsa Oilers
- Mudbugs To Celebrate Mardi Gras, Face IceRays Tomorrow - Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs
- Bucks Look To Bounce Back Tonight In Rio - Laredo Bucks
- Jaeger Slams Door To Catapult Brahmas Over Laredo In Standings - Fort Worth Brahmas
- Game On: Brahmas And Bucks Faceoff Tonight At NYTEX On $1 Coke Night - Fort Worth Brahmas
- IceRays Get Big 5-3 Win In Rio Grande Valley - Corpus Christi IceRays
- IceRays Announce Schedule Change - Corpus Christi IceRays
- Central Hockey League Introduces Game Live - CHL
- Oilers Edge RiverKings In Overtime - Mississippi RiverKings
- RiverKings Start Three-Game Weekend In Tulsa Tonight - Mississippi RiverKings
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Kansas City Mavericks Stories
- Mavs Blanked 3-0 on Getaway Day in Utah
- Mavs Monday: KC Wraps up Set with Utah, Heads for Saturday Showdown vs. Kalamazoo
- Mavs Ride Another Clutch Goaltending Performance to 2-1 Shootout Win at Utah
- Mavs Sign D-Man Roshen Jaswal to ATO
- Schneider Dazzles in Mavs 1-0 Shutout Win at Utah