Third Period Undoes 'Bugs in Corpus
CORPUS CHRISTI, TX - The Corpus Christi IceRays scored three third period goals to defeat the Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs 5-2 Saturday night at the American Bank Center. The game was tied at two after two periods before the IceRays took control in the third to drop the Mudbugs to 25-17-4 this season.
David Rutherford scored a goal and assisted on another, while Simon Mangos chipped in two more assists to stay hot as well for Bossier-Shreveport. Chad Woollard (1g, 3a) and Justin Quenneville (2g, 2a) each had four-point nights for Corpus Christi.
The Bugs escaped the first period deadlocked at one after killing off five Corpus Christi powerplays, including about a minute of 5-on-3 time. Justin Quenneville opened the scoring for the IceRays, knocking a rebound past John DeCaro at 4:04. David Rutherford answered for the Mudbugs with a pretty goal as he stickhandled through the Corpus Christi zone before executing a give-and-go with Simon Mangos and scoring on his backhand at 8:57 to tie the game at one.
Ryan Garbutt scored on another rebound opportunity four minutes into the second period to put the IceRays back on top 2-1. Just over two minutes later, the Mudbugs tied it up once again as David Rutherford drove down the left wing boards and centered a pass for Justin Aikins, who banged in his eighth goal of the season to make it 2-2 entering the third period.
Quenneville notched the game-winner on the powerplay just 52 seconds into the third period and the IceRays never looked back. Matt Smyth added a goal less than three minutes later to extend the lead to 4-2. The Bugs fired 12 shots on net in the third period, but couldn't beat Kevin Beech again before Woollard put the game away at 17:49 with his league-leading 31st goal of the season.
John DeCaro made 31 saves in the loss as the Mudbugs were outshot 36-27. Kevin Beech stopped 25 shots to earn the win for the Rays. Bossier-Shreveport was 0 for 2 on the powerplay, while Corpus Christi was 1 for 7.
The teams will now travel to Bossier City for the second game of this weekend's back-to-back set at 4:05 pm tomorrow at the CenturyTel Center. Group ticket packages and mini-plans are available through the Mudbugs office at 752-BUGS, while individual tickets are on sale through Ticketmaster at 741-9700.
• Discuss this story on the Central Hockey League message board...
Central Hockey League Stories from February 13, 2010
- IceRays knock out Mudbugs and cancer on Pink in the Rink night - Corpus Christi IceRays
- Brahmas send Americans across town with a loss - Fort Worth Brahmas
- Sellan's Hat-Trick Propels Mavericks to 6-1 Win - Kansas City Mavericks
- Third Period Undoes 'Bugs in Corpus - Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs
- Bucks Score Two in Third To Best Bees - Laredo Bucks
- Arizona Wins Fourth Straight Road Game, Tops Thunder, 2-1, in Shootout - Arizona Sundogs
- Sellan, Mavericks Stop RiverKings - Mississippi RiverKings
- Tulsa slides past Amarillo - Amarillo Gorillas
- Thunder Edged by Arizona - Wichita Thunder
- Rush Help Raise A record Breaking $60,000 For the Fight Against Cancer - Rapid City Rush
- RiverKings Meet Mavericks In Missouri Tonight - Mississippi RiverKings
- Tonight's Match Up - Tulsa Oilers
- Mudbugs To Celebrate Mardi Gras, Face IceRays Tomorrow - Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs
- Bucks Look To Bounce Back Tonight In Rio - Laredo Bucks
- Jaeger Slams Door To Catapult Brahmas Over Laredo In Standings - Fort Worth Brahmas
- Game On: Brahmas And Bucks Faceoff Tonight At NYTEX On $1 Coke Night - Fort Worth Brahmas
- IceRays Get Big 5-3 Win In Rio Grande Valley - Corpus Christi IceRays
- IceRays Announce Schedule Change - Corpus Christi IceRays
- Central Hockey League Introduces Game Live - CHL
- Oilers Edge RiverKings In Overtime - Mississippi RiverKings
- RiverKings Start Three-Game Weekend In Tulsa Tonight - Mississippi RiverKings
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.