Arizona Wins Fourth Straight Road Game, Tops Thunder, 2-1, in Shootout
PRESCOTT VALLEY, Ariz. - Playing in their ninth consecutive one-goal game, the Arizona Sundogs extended their season-long road win streak to four games with a 2-1 shootout win over the Wichita Thunder Saturday night at INTRUST Bank Arena in Wichita, Kansas.
Doug Groenestege turned aside 40 shots through 65 minutes of play and all five Wichita skaters in the shootout improving to 6-0 in shootouts this season while Kyle Hood netted the game-winner, connecting in the shootout's first round with a backhand effort over Thunder goaltender Ian Keserich.
Arizona climbs to two games above .500 (12-10-3) away from Tim's Toyota Center.
Mark Belanger saw his 11-game point streak come to an end against his former team as he was held scoreless for just the second time in 14 games since joining the Sundogs.
Defenseman Mike Nesdill helped Arizona to an early 1-0 lead with his first professional goal 7:31 into the opening period.
On their first of five power-play chances on the evening, the Sundogs cycled the puck around the perimeter before Nesdill released a shot from the point that found its way through traffic and past Keserich. Jason Visser and rookie Joey Sides collected assists on the man-advantage marker.
Groenestege kept Wichita off the scoreboard early in the contest with arguably his biggest save of the night as a Thunder dump-in ricocheted off a seam along the glass onto the stick of Brent Ottmann in the slot. Behind the net to play the puck, Groenestege dove back across the crease making a stick save along the ice.
Brad Thompson converted on a Wichita power-play chance early in the third period to knot the score at one, redirecting a Mark Adamek shot from the top of the far circle over Groenestege at the 2:44 mark.
In overtime, Arizona killed off a Thunder power play for 1:57 after Linus Fagemo was whistled for a five-minute cross checking major late in regulation.
Wichita outshot Arizona, 41-31, in the contest. Both clubs finished 1-for-5 with the man-advantage.
In roster moves, Sundogs Head Coach and General Manager Marco Pietroniro earlier in the day announced Chris Bartolone and Cedric Bernier have been moved to the 30-day I.R. while Matt Foy has been placed on season-ending I.R.
The Sundogs close out a three-game road trip tomorrow afternoon at 3:05pm (Arizona time) against the Amarillo Gorillas at the Amarillo Civic Center in Amarillo, Texas. Listen to the game live on KDDL Cattle Country' 94.3FM, the Official Radio Home of Arizona Sundogs Hockey, and online at www.cattlecountryradio.com.
• Discuss this story on the Central Hockey League message board...
Central Hockey League Stories from February 13, 2010
- IceRays knock out Mudbugs and cancer on Pink in the Rink night - Corpus Christi IceRays
- Brahmas send Americans across town with a loss - Fort Worth Brahmas
- Sellan's Hat-Trick Propels Mavericks to 6-1 Win - Kansas City Mavericks
- Third Period Undoes 'Bugs in Corpus - Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs
- Bucks Score Two in Third To Best Bees - Laredo Bucks
- Arizona Wins Fourth Straight Road Game, Tops Thunder, 2-1, in Shootout - Arizona Sundogs
- Sellan, Mavericks Stop RiverKings - Mississippi RiverKings
- Tulsa slides past Amarillo - Amarillo Gorillas
- Thunder Edged by Arizona - Wichita Thunder
- Rush Help Raise A record Breaking $60,000 For the Fight Against Cancer - Rapid City Rush
- RiverKings Meet Mavericks In Missouri Tonight - Mississippi RiverKings
- Tonight's Match Up - Tulsa Oilers
- Mudbugs To Celebrate Mardi Gras, Face IceRays Tomorrow - Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs
- Bucks Look To Bounce Back Tonight In Rio - Laredo Bucks
- Jaeger Slams Door To Catapult Brahmas Over Laredo In Standings - Fort Worth Brahmas
- Game On: Brahmas And Bucks Faceoff Tonight At NYTEX On $1 Coke Night - Fort Worth Brahmas
- IceRays Get Big 5-3 Win In Rio Grande Valley - Corpus Christi IceRays
- IceRays Announce Schedule Change - Corpus Christi IceRays
- Central Hockey League Introduces Game Live - CHL
- Oilers Edge RiverKings In Overtime - Mississippi RiverKings
- RiverKings Start Three-Game Weekend In Tulsa Tonight - Mississippi RiverKings
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.