Sellan, Mavericks Stop RiverKings
INDEPENDENCE, MO --- Missouri's Karl Sellan scored a three-goal hat-trick and Charlie Effinger's goaltending led the Missouri Mavericks to a 6-1 victory over Mississippi RiverKings in Central Hockey League action in Independence, Missouri on Saturday, February 13th.
Sellan got the Mavericks off to a quick start in the first period with a pair of goals, including one on the power play.
The first goal came at 6:37 of the first period, followed by the power play goal just over half-way through the initial session of the game.
There was no scoring in the second period, although the RiverKings outshot the Mavericks by a 13-4 margin.
Missouri struck quickly in the third period when Jeff MacDermid scored his 18th goal of the year just 21 seconds into the final period.
Todd Paul added to the Missouri lead at 6:13, followed by Sellan's hat-trick goal at 10:10 for a 5-0 Mavericks' lead.
Stephen Margeson averted the shutout after a nifty move to beat Effinger for Margeson's fifth goal of the year at 12:37. Elias Godoy and Derek Landmesser earned assists on the power play goal.
Nick Sirota finished off the scoring for the night with an empty-net goal with less than three minutes remaining in the game.
Mississippi was 1-for-9 on the power play, while Missouri scored twice in seven power play chances.
The RiverKings outshot the Mavericks by a 40-19 margin, including 14 shots in the final period.
Mark Sibbald fell to 5-4-0 for the season with the loss, despite a 14-save effort. Effinger was 39-of-40 in the crease, as his record moved to 10-3-1 with the victory.
Mississippi falls to 22-20-6 with the loss entering Sunday's game at home against Wichita at 3:05 PM.
It's Pink in the Rink night for the American Cancer Society and breast cancer awareness. The RiverKings will wear special game jerseys which will be auctioned off after the game and there will be a post-game skate for fans after the game is done.
For RiverKings' ticket information, call 662-342-1755 or go online to www.riverkings.com today!
• Discuss this story on the Central Hockey League message board...
Central Hockey League Stories from February 13, 2010
- IceRays knock out Mudbugs and cancer on Pink in the Rink night - Corpus Christi IceRays
- Brahmas send Americans across town with a loss - Fort Worth Brahmas
- Sellan's Hat-Trick Propels Mavericks to 6-1 Win - Kansas City Mavericks
- Third Period Undoes 'Bugs in Corpus - Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs
- Bucks Score Two in Third To Best Bees - Laredo Bucks
- Arizona Wins Fourth Straight Road Game, Tops Thunder, 2-1, in Shootout - Arizona Sundogs
- Sellan, Mavericks Stop RiverKings - Mississippi RiverKings
- Tulsa slides past Amarillo - Amarillo Gorillas
- Thunder Edged by Arizona - Wichita Thunder
- Rush Help Raise A record Breaking $60,000 For the Fight Against Cancer - Rapid City Rush
- RiverKings Meet Mavericks In Missouri Tonight - Mississippi RiverKings
- Tonight's Match Up - Tulsa Oilers
- Mudbugs To Celebrate Mardi Gras, Face IceRays Tomorrow - Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs
- Bucks Look To Bounce Back Tonight In Rio - Laredo Bucks
- Jaeger Slams Door To Catapult Brahmas Over Laredo In Standings - Fort Worth Brahmas
- Game On: Brahmas And Bucks Faceoff Tonight At NYTEX On $1 Coke Night - Fort Worth Brahmas
- IceRays Get Big 5-3 Win In Rio Grande Valley - Corpus Christi IceRays
- IceRays Announce Schedule Change - Corpus Christi IceRays
- Central Hockey League Introduces Game Live - CHL
- Oilers Edge RiverKings In Overtime - Mississippi RiverKings
- RiverKings Start Three-Game Weekend In Tulsa Tonight - Mississippi RiverKings
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.