IceRays Get Big 5-3 Win In Rio Grande Valley
In the biggest game of the season for both teams, the Corpus Christi IceRays got goals from five different players en route to a 5-3 win over the Rio Grande Valley Killer Bees on Friday night. The IceRays scored three unanswered goals in the final 23 minutes to beat the Bees and break a tie for the fifth and final playoff spot in the Southern Conference. The IceRays improved to 20-20-7 on the year, two points ahead of Rio Grande Valley and just five points behind Laredo. The IceRays will return home on Saturday, Feb. 13th at 7:45pm for Pink in the Rink Night. Come be a part of the IceRays fundraising night supporting the fight against breast cancer. For more information, please call the IceRays at 361.814.PUCK or visit them online at www.goicerays.com.
Corpus Christi scored first with a nifty backhand by the CHL's leading scorer Chad Woollard. At 10:01, Woollard took the puck from the bottom of the left circle and deked to slide the puck through Andy Franck to make it 1-0 IceRays. The goal was Woollard's 31st of the year, giving him at least 30 goals in six straight seasons, and seven of the last eight years. The IceRays lead, however, was short lived. 58 seconds later Grant Goeckner-Zoeller scored from just outside the crease to tie the score. At 13:41, the IceRays reclaimed the lead at 2-1 when Adam Powell scored a power play goal on a shot from the slot on a two-man advantage. With 1:52 remaining in the period, IceRays forward Ryan Garbutt checked Tom Sawatske through the glass, shattering it, and the teams were sent to the dressing room early for the first intermission.
After a scoreless conclusion to the first period, the IceRays took a 2-1 lead into the second. It remained that way into the second half of the frame until Andrew Davis scored shorthanded from the right point at 11:41 to tie the game. The Bees then took their first lead on a Goeckner-Zoeller power play rebound goal at 15:05. The IceRays tied the score at 3-3 shortly after when Ryan Garbutt scored from the low slot at 17:42, to send the game to the third tied.
The IceRays broke the tie on a Chris Richards goal at 7:48 to make the score 4-3 on a shot from the slot. Just over a minute later at 8:58, Morgan MacLean fired a slapshot from the right circle off the arm of Franck and into the net to make it 5-3 and help secure the Rays win.
Kevin Beech (9-5-3) earned the win, making 20 saves on 23 shots. Andy Franck (11-13-5) took the loss making 36 saves on 41 shots. The IceRays power play went 1-11 and the Bees went 1-3. The IceRays outshot the Bees 41-23 in the game.
The IceRays will return home to host the Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs on Pink in the Rink Night, presented by Andrew's Distributing and Radiology & Imaging this Saturday night at 7:45pm. Pink in the Rink Night is an annual event where the Rays join with the American Cancer Society of Corpus Christi to help the fight against breast cancer. The IceRays will wear special pink jerseys that will be auctioned off to fans at the game. They will also use pink sticks and give away pink t-shirts this Saturday. Proceeds from the game go to benefit the American Cancer Society. Caller-Times Family Four packs of tickets are available for just $34, and tickets in an all-you-can-eat section are also available for $18 for adults and $12 for children. Additionally, tickets on game day can be purchased in the Flint Hill's Chill Zone for just $7 each.
Saturday's Pink in the Rink Night is also another installment of the Fine Jewelry Outlet Great Diamond Giveaway. One lucky fan will win an $8,000 diamond at the game, GUARANTEED. To register, simply visit Fine Jewelry Outlet in the Sunrise Mall then attend Saturday's game. Registration is free and quick. For more information, please call the IceRays at 361.814.PUCK or visit them online at www.goicerays.com.
• Discuss this story on the Central Hockey League message board...
Central Hockey League Stories from February 13, 2010
- IceRays knock out Mudbugs and cancer on Pink in the Rink night - Corpus Christi IceRays
- Brahmas send Americans across town with a loss - Fort Worth Brahmas
- Sellan's Hat-Trick Propels Mavericks to 6-1 Win - Kansas City Mavericks
- Third Period Undoes 'Bugs in Corpus - Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs
- Bucks Score Two in Third To Best Bees - Laredo Bucks
- Arizona Wins Fourth Straight Road Game, Tops Thunder, 2-1, in Shootout - Arizona Sundogs
- Sellan, Mavericks Stop RiverKings - Mississippi RiverKings
- Tulsa slides past Amarillo - Amarillo Gorillas
- Thunder Edged by Arizona - Wichita Thunder
- Rush Help Raise A record Breaking $60,000 For the Fight Against Cancer - Rapid City Rush
- RiverKings Meet Mavericks In Missouri Tonight - Mississippi RiverKings
- Tonight's Match Up - Tulsa Oilers
- Mudbugs To Celebrate Mardi Gras, Face IceRays Tomorrow - Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs
- Bucks Look To Bounce Back Tonight In Rio - Laredo Bucks
- Jaeger Slams Door To Catapult Brahmas Over Laredo In Standings - Fort Worth Brahmas
- Game On: Brahmas And Bucks Faceoff Tonight At NYTEX On $1 Coke Night - Fort Worth Brahmas
- IceRays Get Big 5-3 Win In Rio Grande Valley - Corpus Christi IceRays
- IceRays Announce Schedule Change - Corpus Christi IceRays
- Central Hockey League Introduces Game Live - CHL
- Oilers Edge RiverKings In Overtime - Mississippi RiverKings
- RiverKings Start Three-Game Weekend In Tulsa Tonight - Mississippi RiverKings
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Corpus Christi IceRays Stories
- Don'T Forget About Justin Quenneville's Retirement Party Tonight
- IceRays Host Street Hockey Challenge
- IceRays Season Ends With 2-0 Loss At Texas
- IceRays Fall 5-4 In Overtime To Brahmas, Trail Series 1-0
- IceRays Beat Killer Bees 6-3 In Regular Season Finale