Thunder Comeback Falls Short in Loss to Beast
BRAMPTON, ON - The Adirondack Thunder came out flat in the opening period as they fell 8-5 in Brampton, ON on Thursday night to the Beast.
Jared Gomes (2x), Lindsay Sparks (3x) and Matt Petgrave each scored in the first period for Brampton as Adirondack came out flat to start the game. Matt Salhany scored the lone Thunder goal in the first period, beating Beast netminder Alex Dubeau on a 2-on-1 at 8:19 of the first period. Ryan Walker was credited with the lone assist.
Eamon McAdam made nine saves on 14 shots in the first period before he was replaced by Chris Nell, who appeared in a game for Adirondack for the first time since December of 2017.
After the Thunder failed to capitalize on a powerplay to start the second, Jared Gomes completed his hat-trick at 7:33 to give Brampton a 7-1 lead.
Nikita Popugaev scored a highlight-reel breakaway goal for Adirondack in the third period to pull his team back to within five. The goal was Popugaev's first ECHL goal and was assisted by Ara Nazarian and Hayden Verbeek.
Casey Pierro-Zabotel netted the puck twice in the third and James Henry scored a goal of his own to make it 7-5.
Daniel Leavens sealed the Brampton victory with an empty-net goal with less than a minute left.
The Thunder outshot the Beast and went 0-for-4 on the powerplay while surrendering two goals on the man advantage to the Beast on four opportunities.
The Thunder face off against the Railers on Sunday afternoon at 1:35pm in Worcester.
Images from this story
Adirondack Thunder center Casey Pierro-Zabotel (left) vs. the Brampton Beast
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from November 21, 2019
- Greenville Edges Jacksonville on Thursday - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Gomes and Sparks Electric as Beast Down Thunder - Brampton Beast
- Thunder Comeback Falls Short in Loss to Beast - Adirondack Thunder
- Conner Bleackley Returns from PTO, Colton Point Assigned to Texas - Idaho Steelheads
- Goalie Hunter Miska Returns to Grizzlies Roster - Utah Grizzlies
- ECHL Transactions - November 21 - ECHL
- Parisi Signs PTO with Belleville Senators - South Carolina Stingrays
- Swavely Recalled from Loan by Lehigh Valley - Reading Royals
- Elmer Reassigned to Mariners, Savage Recalled to Milwaukee - Maine Mariners
- Messner recalled to Providence - Atlanta Gladiators
- Marly Quince Agrees to ECHL Deal with Royals - Reading Royals
- Admirals Snap out of Skid, Crush Mariners, 6-1 - Norfolk Admirals
- Fucale Shines Again for Solar Bears in Win over Steelheads - Orlando Solar Bears
- Quennevile's Late Tally Helps Rush Grease out Win against Oilers - Rapid City Rush
- Oilers Drop First of Three Games in Rapid City - Tulsa Oilers
- Steelheads Fall 3-0 to Solar Bears - Idaho Steelheads
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.