Thomas, Explosive Offense Carry Cougars
Geneva, Illinois - Alek Thomas paced the Kane County Cougars (25-21) with four hits in a 9-3 victory over the Quad Cities River Bandits (28-14) on Wednesday afternoon at Northwestern Medicine Field. The win snapped the Cougars' three-game losing streak.
Thomas' first hit of the day began a two-run first inning for the Cougars. Eduardo Diaz scored Thomas from first on a double, then Buddy Kennedy brought Diaz to the plate with a sacrifice fly. Thomas scored his second run of the day in the third inning when Kennedy wrapped into a double play. That made it 3-0 Cougars.
In non-Alek Thomas related scoring, Joe Gillette hit a solo homer in the fourth inning.
Thomas was right back at in the fifth. He singled back-to-back with Eduardo Diaz and both men came into score on Zack Shannon's RBI single, extending the Cougar lead to 6-0.
Quad Cities cracked the board for the first time in the sixth on Jonathan Lacroix's RBI single. The Cougars bounced back for two runs in the bottom of the inning, on a two-RBI single by Thomas. Kennedy doubled later in the inning to make it 9-1. Ramiro Rodriguez's two-run triple for Quad Cities completed the scoring in eighth inning.
Kai-Wei Lin (1-0) earned his first Midwest League win in 1.1 innings of one-run relief. Jose Alberto (0-2) took the loss for Quad Cities. He allowed six runs in five innings.
The Cougars and River Bandits play the finale of the four-game series on Thursday night at 6:30 P.M. For tickets call 630-232-8811 or order online at kccougars.com.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from May 22, 2019
- Captains Escape, Edge Dragons in 10 - Lake County Captains
- Let the Good Times Roll - Great Lakes Loons
- Captains Escape Late Trouble, Edge Dragons in 10 Innings, 3-2 - Dayton Dragons
- Lugnuts' Comeback Bid Falls Short, 7-6 - Lansing Lugnuts
- Wisconsin Takes Third Straight with 7-2 Win Over Peoria - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Chiefs Mistakes Help Wisconsin Win Wednesday - Peoria Chiefs
- Tonight's Game Suspended - Beloit Snappers
- Kernels Toss No-Hitter in Twin Bill Split - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Thomas, Explosive Offense Carry Cougars - Kane County Cougars
- Remy Dazzles, But Cubs Topped by TinCaps 3-1 - South Bend Cubs
- Bandits Leave 13 on Base in 9-3 Loss to Cougars - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Fort Wayne Pitching Wows Again, and TinCaps Win Again - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Hot Rods Gut out 3-2 Win on Wednesday - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Wolf, Whitecaps Take Tough-Luck Loss - West Michigan Whitecaps
- CareSource, Dragons Team up to Honor Local Veterans - Dayton Dragons
- Dragons Notes for Wednesday - Dayton Dragons
- Stay Late Saturdays Back By Popular Demand - Clinton LumberKings
- RHP Jayson Schroeder transferred from extended spring training to Quad Cities - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Hot Rods Game Notes - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- TinCaps Game Notes: May 22 vs. South Bend (Game 43) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Captains Split with Dayton - Lake County Captains
- It's Fry-Day as the Rattlers Walkoff Peoria for Doubleheader Sweep - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Chiefs Blow Late Lead, Swept in Double Header - Peoria Chiefs
- Cubs Whitewashed for Second Time this Season, Lose 1-0 - South Bend Cubs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Kane County Cougars Stories
- Cougars Reveal Promotional Lineup for 2020 Season
- Cougars Announce Seasonal Job Fair Scheduled for February 8 and 23
- Cougars Announce Capital Improvements Ahead of 30th Anniversary Season
- Cougars Reveal Economic Impact Statement
- Harrison Returns to Manage Cougars for 2020 Season