Hot Rods Gut out 3-2 Win on Wednesday
Comstock Park, MI - Caleb Sampen held the West Michigan Whitecaps to one run on four hits in a gutty 3-2 victory for the Bowling Green Hot Rods on Wednesday at Fifth Third Ballpark. The Hot Rods improve to 26-20 on the season and will play the series finale on Thursday with a 10:00 AM CDT first pitch.
West Michigan took a first-inning lead against Caleb Sampen and the Hot Rods. Johnny Valente led off with an infield single and went to third when Chris Proctor singled to left. Proctor advanced to second on the play, but third baseman Jake Palomaki made an errant throw to second in an attempt to throw him out that allowed Valente to score and give the Whitecaps a 1-0 edge.
The Hot Rod were held to one hit over the first six innings of play by West Michigan starter Adam Wolf, but Bowling Green finally got to the southpaw in the seventh inning to take the lead and chase him from the game. Grant Witherspoon led off the inning with his second single of the game. With two outs, Jake Palomaki grounded a double to left, scoring Witherspoon to tie the game. Beau Brundage singled in the next at-bat to drive in Palomaki and give the Hot Rods a 2-1 advantage.
Bowling Green added another run in the eighth to chase reliever Michael Gizzi from the game. With one out, Ford Proctor singled to left and went to second when Kaleo Johnson reached on a fielding error. With two outs, Roberto Alvarez walked to load the bases for Chris Betts. Betts earned a walk to force home Proctor, extending the Bowling Green lead to 3-1.
The Whitecaps came within a run in the eighth against Hot Rods reliever Nick Sprengel. Chris Proctor singled to center with one out and went to third when Jordan Pearce singled to center. Ulrich Bojarski lifted a sacrifice fly to right, scoring Proctor to cut the Hot Rods lead to one, but Sprengel struck out Rey Rivera to end the inning. Joel Peguero faced the minimum in the ninth, getting a double play and a ground ball to end the game and give the Hot Rods their 26th victory of the season.
Sampen (3-2) earned the win after hurling six innings while holding the Whitecaps to a run on four hits with two walks and three strikeouts. Sprengel tossed two innings while allowing a run on two hits with two strikeouts in his second hold of the season. Peguero picked up his fourth save of the year, throwing a spotless ninth inning.
Notes: Sampen earned his first road win of his career... Brundage extended his hit streak to four games... Gregorio has a three-game hitting streak... Proctor has a five-game hit streak... Michael Smith tied a season high with two walks... Peguero tied Chris Muller for the team lead in saves with four... Witherspoon had his seventh multi-hit game... All seven of those games are two-hit efforts... Eight Hot Rods reached by walk or hit... The Hot Rods have been walked-off three times on this road trip, and have won the following game all three times... The Hot Rods are 12-10 on the road this season, including 4-3 on this road trip... The team is 9-7 in one-run games... They're 8-3 in day games this season... Bowling Green is 5-8 in games the opponent starts a left-handed pitcher... The club improves to 10-12 in games their opponent scores first... Wednesday was the fourth time this season the Hot Rods has an equal number of hits to their opponent... They're 3-1 in those games... The Hot Rods will finish the four-game series with the West Michigan Whitecaps on Thursday with a 10:00 AM CDT first pitch...The Hot Rods will send LH Shane McClanahan (3-3, 3.16) to the mound against Whitecaps RH Wilkel Hernandez (4-3, 4.25)... Fans can catch all the action with Shawn Murnin on Willie 107.9 FM, as well as, with their smart phones via the MiLB First Pitch app and TuneIn Radio app.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from May 22, 2019
- Captains Escape, Edge Dragons in 10 - Lake County Captains
- Let the Good Times Roll - Great Lakes Loons
- Captains Escape Late Trouble, Edge Dragons in 10 Innings, 3-2 - Dayton Dragons
- Lugnuts' Comeback Bid Falls Short, 7-6 - Lansing Lugnuts
- Wisconsin Takes Third Straight with 7-2 Win Over Peoria - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Chiefs Mistakes Help Wisconsin Win Wednesday - Peoria Chiefs
- Tonight's Game Suspended - Beloit Snappers
- Kernels Toss No-Hitter in Twin Bill Split - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Thomas, Explosive Offense Carry Cougars - Kane County Cougars
- Remy Dazzles, But Cubs Topped by TinCaps 3-1 - South Bend Cubs
- Bandits Leave 13 on Base in 9-3 Loss to Cougars - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Fort Wayne Pitching Wows Again, and TinCaps Win Again - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Hot Rods Gut out 3-2 Win on Wednesday - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Wolf, Whitecaps Take Tough-Luck Loss - West Michigan Whitecaps
- CareSource, Dragons Team up to Honor Local Veterans - Dayton Dragons
- Dragons Notes for Wednesday - Dayton Dragons
- Stay Late Saturdays Back By Popular Demand - Clinton LumberKings
- RHP Jayson Schroeder transferred from extended spring training to Quad Cities - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Hot Rods Game Notes - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- TinCaps Game Notes: May 22 vs. South Bend (Game 43) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Captains Split with Dayton - Lake County Captains
- It's Fry-Day as the Rattlers Walkoff Peoria for Doubleheader Sweep - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Chiefs Blow Late Lead, Swept in Double Header - Peoria Chiefs
- Cubs Whitewashed for Second Time this Season, Lose 1-0 - South Bend Cubs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Bowling Green Hot Rods Stories
- Hot Rods Release 2020 Home Game Times
- Hot Rods Praise Congressional Effort to Save Minor League Baseball
- Hot Rods and Legends Announce 2020 Exhibition in Lexington, KY
- Hot Rods Announce Second-Annual Charity Dinner and Silent Auction
- Hot Rods to Join Copa de la Diversion as Bolidos