Cubs Whitewashed for Second Time this Season, Lose 1-0
Fort Wayne, IN: The South Bend Cubs have scored just one run combined through the first two games of their four game series against the Fort Wayne TinCaps. Tonight from Parkview Field, the Cubs were shutout for the second time this season by a final of 1-0 and could not mount a rally in the late innings.
Cubs starter Cam Sanders tossed a quality start and gave up just one run through five complete innings. Unfortunately for Sanders, this is the second consecutive start he gave up one run and took the loss. Sanders walked four batters, and picked up four strikeouts.
The lone TinCaps run was tallied early on after Lee Solomon walked with one out in the 2nd inning. Juan Fernandez came up and crushed a triple over the head of left fielder D.J. Artis to easily score Solomon.
After the 2nd, the bats went quiet on both sides. South Bend received hitting to start frames, but were not able to drive runners in as they went 0/5 with runners in scoring position.
Out of the bullpen, Eugenio Palma continued his scoreless innings streak to just over nine innings after 2.2 innings of scoreless baseball and two strikeouts. Ethan Roberts was tasked with getting the final out of the 8th inning with the bases loaded. Roberts stayed calm, cool, and collected and got the Cubs out of the jam with no damage.
South Bend went quietly in the 9th and the TinCaps won their second game of the series. Going into tomorrow morning's game at 11:05 a.m. the Cubs record will sit at 24-19. They will look to bounce back with right-hander Peyton Remy on the mound. This will be Remy's first start of the season.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from May 22, 2019
- Captains Escape, Edge Dragons in 10 - Lake County Captains
- Let the Good Times Roll - Great Lakes Loons
- Captains Escape Late Trouble, Edge Dragons in 10 Innings, 3-2 - Dayton Dragons
- Lugnuts' Comeback Bid Falls Short, 7-6 - Lansing Lugnuts
- Wisconsin Takes Third Straight with 7-2 Win Over Peoria - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Chiefs Mistakes Help Wisconsin Win Wednesday - Peoria Chiefs
- Tonight's Game Suspended - Beloit Snappers
- Kernels Toss No-Hitter in Twin Bill Split - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Thomas, Explosive Offense Carry Cougars - Kane County Cougars
- Remy Dazzles, But Cubs Topped by TinCaps 3-1 - South Bend Cubs
- Bandits Leave 13 on Base in 9-3 Loss to Cougars - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Fort Wayne Pitching Wows Again, and TinCaps Win Again - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Hot Rods Gut out 3-2 Win on Wednesday - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Wolf, Whitecaps Take Tough-Luck Loss - West Michigan Whitecaps
- CareSource, Dragons Team up to Honor Local Veterans - Dayton Dragons
- Dragons Notes for Wednesday - Dayton Dragons
- Stay Late Saturdays Back By Popular Demand - Clinton LumberKings
- RHP Jayson Schroeder transferred from extended spring training to Quad Cities - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Hot Rods Game Notes - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- TinCaps Game Notes: May 22 vs. South Bend (Game 43) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Captains Split with Dayton - Lake County Captains
- It's Fry-Day as the Rattlers Walkoff Peoria for Doubleheader Sweep - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Chiefs Blow Late Lead, Swept in Double Header - Peoria Chiefs
- Cubs Whitewashed for Second Time this Season, Lose 1-0 - South Bend Cubs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.