It's Fry-Day as the Rattlers Walkoff Peoria for Doubleheader Sweep
GRAND CHUTE, WI - David Fry stayed hot as he drove in both runs for the Wisconsin Timber Rattlers in a 2-1 walkoff victory over the Peoria Chiefs in the nightcap of Tuesday's doubleheader at Neuroscience Group Field at Fox Cities Stadium. The win gave the Rattlers a twinbill sweep over their division rivals.
The Chiefs (19-25) jumped in front with a run in the top of the first inning. Freisis Adames walked Brandon Riley with one out. An error on an infield single by Ivan Herrera put runners at second and third. Brady Whalen, who drove in four runs in game one of the doubleheader, knocked in Riley with a ground out to second.
Wisconsin (20-23) got their first hit of the game in the bottom of the fourth inning as Brice Turang doubled to right-center. He was left at third base when the inning ended as Peoria starter Mike Brettell got a strikeout and a pair of ground outs to maintain a 1-0 lead.
The Rattlers tied the game with a rally in the bottom of the sixth. Turang walked with one out. Connor McVey was next and he singled to right and an error on the play allowed Turang to take third base.
Fry stepped to the plate with two outs and runners at the corners and cracked a single to left-center to score Turang with the tying run. The hit extended Fry's hitting streak to twelve games.
Neither team scored in the seventh inning and the game went to extra innings.
The Chiefs started the eighth inning with Brandon Riley at second base. Wilfred Salaman, Wisconsin's third pitcher of the night, entered the game to try to keep the game tied and he did by getting a strikeout, a lineout, and another strikeout to set the stage for the walkoff win.
McVey started the bottom of the eighth at second and the Chiefs walked Jesús Lujano intentionally before bringing Franyel Casadilla into the game to face Fry.
Fry fell behind in the count 1-2, but laced the next pitch to left field for a single and McVey raced home with the winning run.
Fry knocked in a total of four runs in Tuesday's doubleheader to help the Rattlers to the sweep.
Wisconsin received a solid start from Freisis Adames, who was making his Midwest League debut in the game. Adames allowed an unearned run on two hits with five walks and six strikeouts over 4-2/3 innings. Chad Whitmer added 2-1/3 scoreless innings to his season total out of the Wisconsin bullpen.
Game four of the series is set for Wednesday night at Neuroscience Group Field at Fox Cities Stadium. Aaron Ashby (2-1, 4.19) is the scheduled starting pitcher for the Timber Rattlers. Colin Schmid (1-0, 0.00) has been named the starter for the Chiefs. Game time is 6:35pm.
Wednesday is a Bang for Your Buck night with Y100. Everyone can enjoy Cher-Make hotdogs and 16-ounce Pepsi products for $1. There are also 16-ounce domestic beers available for $2 to those of legal drinking age.
If you can't make it to the ballpark, there are several ways to catch the action. The radio broadcast is on AM1280, WNAM and the TuneIn Radio app starting with the Papa John's Pizza Pregame Show at 6:15pm. MiLB.tv subscribers can watch the game over the internet.
R H E
PEO 100 000 00 - 1 2 1
WIS 000 001 01 - 2 4 3
Click here for the boxscore of Game Two
WP: Wilfred Salaman (3-3)
LP: Freddy Pacheco (0-1)
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from May 22, 2019
- Captains Escape, Edge Dragons in 10 - Lake County Captains
- Let the Good Times Roll - Great Lakes Loons
- Captains Escape Late Trouble, Edge Dragons in 10 Innings, 3-2 - Dayton Dragons
- Lugnuts' Comeback Bid Falls Short, 7-6 - Lansing Lugnuts
- Wisconsin Takes Third Straight with 7-2 Win Over Peoria - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Chiefs Mistakes Help Wisconsin Win Wednesday - Peoria Chiefs
- Tonight's Game Suspended - Beloit Snappers
- Kernels Toss No-Hitter in Twin Bill Split - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Thomas, Explosive Offense Carry Cougars - Kane County Cougars
- Remy Dazzles, But Cubs Topped by TinCaps 3-1 - South Bend Cubs
- Bandits Leave 13 on Base in 9-3 Loss to Cougars - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Fort Wayne Pitching Wows Again, and TinCaps Win Again - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Hot Rods Gut out 3-2 Win on Wednesday - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Wolf, Whitecaps Take Tough-Luck Loss - West Michigan Whitecaps
- CareSource, Dragons Team up to Honor Local Veterans - Dayton Dragons
- Dragons Notes for Wednesday - Dayton Dragons
- Stay Late Saturdays Back By Popular Demand - Clinton LumberKings
- RHP Jayson Schroeder transferred from extended spring training to Quad Cities - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Hot Rods Game Notes - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- TinCaps Game Notes: May 22 vs. South Bend (Game 43) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Captains Split with Dayton - Lake County Captains
- It's Fry-Day as the Rattlers Walkoff Peoria for Doubleheader Sweep - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Chiefs Blow Late Lead, Swept in Double Header - Peoria Chiefs
- Cubs Whitewashed for Second Time this Season, Lose 1-0 - South Bend Cubs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Wisconsin Timber Rattlers Stories
- Promotions Announced for Front Offices of Wisconsin Timber Rattlers and Fond du Lac Dock Spiders
- River Bandits Beat Rattlers in Season Finale
- Early Lead Is Enough For Rattlers Win at Quad Cities
- Wisconsin Edges Quad Cities 4-3
- Wisconsinâ??s Home Season Ends with a Close Loss to Kane County