Remy Dazzles, But Cubs Topped by TinCaps 3-1
Fort Wayne, IN: The South Bend Cubs have lost a series for the first time in over two weeks. After beating Cedar Rapids, Peoria, Bowling Green, and Dayton, South Bend fell to the Fort Wayne TinCaps on Wednesday afternoon by a final of 3-1 to lose their third game of the series. The Cubs are now going into the series finale tomorrow.
After the game started on a 90 minute delay due to rain cutting across the state of Indiana, South Bend turned to usual reliever Peyton Remy on the mound for his first start of 2019. Coming into the start, Remy was riding over eight innings of scoreless baseball over his past few appearances.
Remy was excellent in five shutout innings. In the transition from the bullpen to the rotation, he did not miss a beat. Remy controlled the game and managed to work around jams. In his five shutout innings, he walked just one and struck out five in a no-decision.
After Remy's 5th inning, Buddy Bailey turned to his bullpen to carry the club the rest of the way. The only arm out of the pen on Wednesday was right-hander Zach Mort. After a leadoff double in the 6th inning by Lee Solomon, the red hot swinging Justin Lopez came to the plate for the TinCaps.
Lopez, with the help of the wind blowing out to center field, crushed his fourth home run of the year over the right-center field wall to put Fort Wayne up 3-1. Solomon scored Fort Wayne's only run yesterday, and he continued to produce today by scoring on the Lopez round tripper.
The Cubs put themselves within a run as the game turned for the 7th. Tyler Durna continued his hot stretch and scored Nelson Velazquez on a RBI single to make it 2-1.
The next batter was Christopher Morel, who rocketed a baseball on a line drive straight to third baseman Luis Almanzar. With Durna off of first, Almanazar threw cross-field to turn it into a double play. South Bend's rally in the 7th was cut short due to the twin killing.
In the late innings, the Cubs hit the ball hard off of TinCaps closer Adrian Rodriguez, but could not get anything down and Fort Wayne walked away with the 3-1 win.
The Cubs will look to salvage the final game of the series tomorrow night at 7:05 p.m. from Parkview Field. Faustino Carrera is the expected starter for South Bend.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from May 22, 2019
- Captains Escape, Edge Dragons in 10 - Lake County Captains
- Let the Good Times Roll - Great Lakes Loons
- Captains Escape Late Trouble, Edge Dragons in 10 Innings, 3-2 - Dayton Dragons
- Lugnuts' Comeback Bid Falls Short, 7-6 - Lansing Lugnuts
- Wisconsin Takes Third Straight with 7-2 Win Over Peoria - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Chiefs Mistakes Help Wisconsin Win Wednesday - Peoria Chiefs
- Tonight's Game Suspended - Beloit Snappers
- Kernels Toss No-Hitter in Twin Bill Split - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Thomas, Explosive Offense Carry Cougars - Kane County Cougars
- Remy Dazzles, But Cubs Topped by TinCaps 3-1 - South Bend Cubs
- Bandits Leave 13 on Base in 9-3 Loss to Cougars - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Fort Wayne Pitching Wows Again, and TinCaps Win Again - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Hot Rods Gut out 3-2 Win on Wednesday - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Wolf, Whitecaps Take Tough-Luck Loss - West Michigan Whitecaps
- CareSource, Dragons Team up to Honor Local Veterans - Dayton Dragons
- Dragons Notes for Wednesday - Dayton Dragons
- Stay Late Saturdays Back By Popular Demand - Clinton LumberKings
- RHP Jayson Schroeder transferred from extended spring training to Quad Cities - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Hot Rods Game Notes - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- TinCaps Game Notes: May 22 vs. South Bend (Game 43) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Captains Split with Dayton - Lake County Captains
- It's Fry-Day as the Rattlers Walkoff Peoria for Doubleheader Sweep - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Chiefs Blow Late Lead, Swept in Double Header - Peoria Chiefs
- Cubs Whitewashed for Second Time this Season, Lose 1-0 - South Bend Cubs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent South Bend Cubs Stories
- Cubs Snatch Series from Snappers with 6-4 Finale Win
- Santa Stu to help South Bend Cubs celebrate 'Christmas in July' during upcoming homestand
- Cubs and Snappers Split Sunday Doubleheader 4-3, 5-1
- Timber Rattlers Sweep Cubs in Rain-Shortened 2-1 Finale
- Roederer's Two Homers Not Enough as Wisconsin Tops South Bend 5-4