Svechnikov Recalled, Biega Assigned by Red Wings
GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. - The Detroit Red Wings on Tuesday recalled forward Evgeny Svechnikov from the Grand Rapids Griffins and assigned defenseman Alex Biega to the Griffins.
After missing all of the 2018-19 campaign due to injury, the 22-year-old Svechnikov ties for third on the Griffins in scoring with four points (1-3-4) in three games this season.
Selected 19th overall by the Red Wings in the 2015 NHL Entry Draft, Svechnikov has skated in 16 NHL games from 2016-18 and registered four points (2-2-4). The 6-foot-3, 208-pound forward became the 164th Griffins alumnus to play in the NHL when he debuted with Detroit on April 3, 2017 vs. Ottawa.
A native of Yuzhno-Sakhalinsk, Russia, Svechnikov made his North American pro debut with the Griffins during the 2016 Calder Cup Playoffs and has appeared in 134 regular season contests with Grand Rapids, accounting for 78 points (28-50-78) and 131 penalty minutes. He has tallied 14 points (6-8-14) while suiting up in 26 career Calder Cup Playoff contests and helped the Griffins hoist the Calder Cup as a rookie in 2016-17.
Biega, 31, was acquired by the Red Wings on Oct. 6 in exchange for forward David Pope and he has appeared in two games with Detroit this season.
Originally selected in the fifth round, 147th overall, by the Buffalo Sabres in the 2006 NHL Entry Draft, Biega has suited up in 181 games in the NHL since 2014-15 and recorded 36 points (4-32-36) and 94 PIM. A 5-foot-10, 199-pound defenseman, Biega ranked fourth among Vancouver Canucks blueliners in points last season behind a career-high 16 points (2-14-16) in 41 games.
A 10-year pro, Biega has skated in 351 AHL contests since 2010-11 between the Portland Pirates, Rochester Americans and Utica Comets, and amassed 115 points (20-95-115), a plus-16 rating and 245 PIM. He shows 10 points (1-9-10) in 40 Calder Cup Playoff games and helped Utica reach the Calder Cup Finals in 2015, when the Comets defeated Grand Rapids in the Western Conference Finals.
The Griffins (2-2-0-1) return to Van Andel Arena this week to begin a four-game homestand. The Milwaukee Admirals are first up on Wednesday at 7 p.m.
Single-game tickets are currently on sale. Fans can secure their full-season, select-season or group ticket packages by calling (616) 774-4585 ext. 2 or visit griffinshockey.com for more information.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from October 22, 2019
- Legace Stonewalls Sound Tigers - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Lagace Earns Second Shutout, P-Bruins Defeat Bridgeport, 4-0 - Providence Bruins
- Condors Host Two Games on Wednesday and Stranger Things Saturday - Bakersfield Condors
- Crunch Weekly - Syracuse Crunch
- Syracuse Crunch to Host Halloween Spooktacular Presented by New York's 529 College Savings Program Direct Plan October 27 - Syracuse Crunch
- Penguins Recall Macoy Erkamps from Wheeling - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Griffins Assign Loggins - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Roadrunners "Frozen 4-Pack" on Sale Now for Saturday - Tucson Roadrunners
- Phantoms Power Play - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Bears Weekly #3: Surging Bears to Face Amerks, Comets this Week - Hershey Bears
- Griffins Open Homestand against Admirals, Moose and Stars - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Svechnikov Recalled, Biega Assigned by Red Wings - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Percy Excited to Re-Join Senators - Belleville Senators
- Flames Recall Oliver Kylington - Stockton Heat
- Weekly: Penguins Rolling with First Win Streak of Season - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Monsters Continue Expansion of STEM Learning Program in Northeast Ohio - Cleveland Monsters
- Tinordi Suspended Three Games by AHL - Milwaukee Admirals
- American Hockey League Announces Suspensions - Grand Rapids Griffins
- American Hockey League Announces Suspensions - AHL
- Russell Dickerson to Perform Post-Game February 22 - Milwaukee Admirals
- Devils Sign Defenseman Kelly Summers to PTO - Binghamton Devils
- Penguins Recall Brandon Hawkins - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Sound Tigers Battle Bruins Tonight at 7 p.m. - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Last Week around the Leagues - OSC Original by Fran Stuchbury
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.