Last Week around the Leagues
by Fran Stuchbury
October 22, 2019 - American Hockey League (AHL)
Last week North Texas Soccer Club claimed the inaugural USL League One Championship, the Can-Am League and the Frontier League announced a historic merger and the Women's National Basketball Association's New York Liberty announced a move to Barclays Center in Brooklyn for the 2020 WNBA season. Highlights from this week are from United Soccer League One, Major League Soccer, the National Women's Soccer League, American Hockey League, ECHL, North American Hockey League and Canadian Football League.
United Soccer League One
Arturo Rodriguez scored the lone goal of the game and goalkeeper Kyle Zobeck made the crucial late saves as North Texas Soccer Club claimed the inaugural USL League One Final with a 1-0 victory against Greenville Triumph SC in front of a crowd of 3,245 fans at Toyota Stadium.
Here are the highlights of the game:
Major League Soccer
Philadelphia Union won their first playoff game in franchise history in front of a sellout crowd. In the first playoff game at home since 2011, the club came back from a two-goal deficit twice in the game to beat Red Bulls 4-3 in overtime.
A stunning goal by Toronto FC midfielder Nick DeLeon:
National Women's Soccer League
The North Carolina Courage are heading back to the NWSL Championship for the third time in as many years after defeating Reign FC 4-1.
Chicago Red Stars booked a ticket to their first NWSL Championship on the strength of another Sam Kerr goal assisted by Yuki Nagasato this year in their 1-0 victory over the Portland Thorns.
Can-Am League and Frontier League
The Can-Am League and the Frontier League are announcing a historic merger resulting in the creation of the largest league in all of Independent Professional Baseball. The newly formed Frontier League will begin play in 2020 with a soon to be revealed 96-game schedule spanning from mid-May through September.
American Hockey League
The American Hockey League and NHL Network today announced a schedule of 20 live AHL broadcasts on NHL Network during the 2019-20 season, marking the most live AHL regular-season game telecasts ever in a single season on NHL Network.
With the clock winding down, Tyler Sikura gets a breakaway and the win for the Rockford IceHogs in overtime.
Checkout the Newfoundland Growlers 2019 Kelly Cup Championship rings by Baron Championship Rings, the official championship ring of the ECHL.
North American Hockey League
Wichita Falls Team President Jason Rent and NAHL Commissioner Mark Frankenfeld about their thoughts about the new NAHL team in Wichita Falls.
Western Hockey League
2020 NHL Draft prospect Dylan Garand of the Kamloops Blazers comes up with an incredible glove save to keep his team in front.
Women's National Basketball Association
The New York Liberty announced that Head Coach Katie Smith's contract will not be renewed for the 2020 season. The search for a new coach will begin immediately.
The New York Liberty are moving to Brooklyn. Beginning with the 2020 WNBA season, the team will play its home games at Barclays Center.
Prior to its inaugural draft last week, the XFL announced initial quarterback assignments for each of the league's eight teams.
Of the 568 XFL players drafted/assigned, 201 were on an in-season, 52-man Alliance of American Football roster, or 35.4%.
Canadian Football League
Watch out. Marcus Sayles forces the fumble then takes it to the house for a Winnipeg Blue Bombers touchdown.
Did we miss anything newsworthy or downright fun? Have a nomination for next week's column? Contact us today and let us know.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from October 22, 2019
- Legace Stonewalls Sound Tigers - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Lagace Earns Second Shutout, P-Bruins Defeat Bridgeport, 4-0 - Providence Bruins
- Condors Host Two Games on Wednesday and Stranger Things Saturday - Bakersfield Condors
- Crunch Weekly - Syracuse Crunch
- Syracuse Crunch to Host Halloween Spooktacular Presented by New York's 529 College Savings Program Direct Plan October 27 - Syracuse Crunch
- Penguins Recall Macoy Erkamps from Wheeling - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Griffins Assign Loggins - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Roadrunners "Frozen 4-Pack" on Sale Now for Saturday - Tucson Roadrunners
- Phantoms Power Play - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Bears Weekly #3: Surging Bears to Face Amerks, Comets this Week - Hershey Bears
- Griffins Open Homestand against Admirals, Moose and Stars - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Svechnikov Recalled, Biega Assigned by Red Wings - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Percy Excited to Re-Join Senators - Belleville Senators
- Flames Recall Oliver Kylington - Stockton Heat
- Weekly: Penguins Rolling with First Win Streak of Season - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Monsters Continue Expansion of STEM Learning Program in Northeast Ohio - Cleveland Monsters
- Tinordi Suspended Three Games by AHL - Milwaukee Admirals
- American Hockey League Announces Suspensions - Grand Rapids Griffins
- American Hockey League Announces Suspensions - AHL
- Russell Dickerson to Perform Post-Game February 22 - Milwaukee Admirals
- Devils Sign Defenseman Kelly Summers to PTO - Binghamton Devils
- Penguins Recall Brandon Hawkins - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Sound Tigers Battle Bruins Tonight at 7 p.m. - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Last Week around the Leagues - OSC Original by Fran Stuchbury
The opinions expressed in this article are those of the writer(s), and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.