New York Liberty Announce Barclays Center as Home Venue Beginning in 2020
BROOKLYN - The New York Liberty are moving to Brooklyn. Beginning with the 2020 WNBA season, the team will play its home games at Barclays Center.
In addition to the change in venue, this will also be the first full season under new leadership. Joe Tsai acquired the Liberty in January 2019, and recently purchased Barclays Center and the remaining interest in the Brooklyn Nets, becoming Governor of the team. Immediately following the closing of the transaction, David Levy was named CEO of the Brooklyn Nets and Barclays Center, and President of J Tsai Sports, which operates the Liberty.
"We are committed to the Liberty's long-term success in New York and relocating the team to Brooklyn will provide the franchise with tremendous opportunity," said Levy. "With many of our fans based in the five boroughs, moving to Barclays Center will make the Liberty more centrally located, allowing us to bring back the original fan base and attract new supporters. The venue change, along with the first pick in the 2020 WNBA Draft, has positioned the team for an exciting future."
"The New York Liberty are part of the foundation of the W and have many of the most accomplished players and passionate fans since the inaugural season," said WNBA Commissioner Cathy Engelbert. "Barclays Center is the perfect venue to host New York's team and showcase world-class women's basketball. This move is key to driving the league to the next level."
For the past two seasons, the Liberty played at Westchester County Center, where the capacity was 2,100. The move to Barclays Center will expand the capacity to more than 8,000, with opportunity for growth. This is the fourth home venue in the Liberty's illustrious history as one of the eight original franchises in the WNBA. The team played in the first-ever WNBA game in 1997 defeating the Los Angeles Sparks and has claimed some of the league's biggest names, including Becky Hammon, Kym Hampton, Vickie Johnson, Rebecca Lobo, Teresa Weatherspoon, and Sue Wicks.
Liberty season ticket holders will soon receive information regarding ticket renewals, seat locations and additional changes. Single game and group ticket packages will go on sale at a later date. The team's 2020 season schedule will be announced in the coming months. For ticket information, call 914-908-5980 or email [email protected]
• Discuss this story on the Women's National Basketball Association message board...
Women's National Basketball Association Stories from October 17, 2019
- Aces, A'ja Wilson Team up with NIKE to Grow the Game for Girls in Las Vegas - Las Vegas Aces
- Connecticut Sun Teams up with Nike to Grow the Game for Girls in New England - Connecticut Sun
- USBWA Names National Freshman Honor After Tamika Catchings - Indiana Fever
- New York Liberty Announce Barclays Center as Home Venue Beginning in 2020 - New York Liberty
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent New York Liberty Stories
- Nets, Liberty, Barclays Center Host Bus Tour to Encourage Census Completion, Voter Registration
- Jazmine Jones Named to WNBA's 2020 All-Rookie Team
- New York Liberty Star Kia Nurse Joins TSN as Basketball Analyst
- New York Liberty to Celebrate Inaugural Hispanic Heritage Month Presented by HSS
- New York Liberty Postgame Notes vs. Dallas Wings