New York Liberty Announce Head Coach Katie Smith's Contract Not Renewed
NEW YORK - The New York Liberty announced today that Head Coach Katie Smith's contract will not be renewed for the 2020 season. The search for a new coach will begin immediately.
"On behalf of the entire Liberty organization, we want to thank Katie for her time with our franchise," said New York Liberty General Manager, Jonathan Kolb. "These decisions are never easy to make, but we felt it necessary to move our organization forward in a new direction. We wish her all the best."
Smith was named head coach of the New York Liberty on Oct.16, 2017 after spending two seasons as an assistant to former head coach Bill Laimbeer. She assumed the role of associate head coach beginning with the 2016-17 campaign. In two seasons as head coach of the Liberty, she netted a cumulative record of 17-51.
• Discuss this story on the Women's National Basketball Association message board...
Women's National Basketball Association Stories from October 16, 2019
- October 17, 2019 Proclaimed "The Las Vegas Aces Day in the City of Las Vegas" - Las Vegas Aces
- New York Liberty Announce Head Coach Katie Smith's Contract Not Renewed - New York Liberty
- OSC Weekly Ratings Wrapup - OSC Original by David Carlson
- Las Vegas Aces Jackie Young Scores Game-High 9, But USAB Falls, 14-12, to Brazil in Quarterfinals - Las Vegas Aces
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent New York Liberty Stories
- New York Liberty Launch Sales Academy Pilot Program
- Liberty Statement on Nancy Darsch
- Sabrina Ionescu Undergoes Successful Ankle Procedure
- Nets, Liberty, Barclays Center Host Bus Tour to Encourage Census Completion, Voter Registration
- Jazmine Jones Named to WNBA's 2020 All-Rookie Team