October 17, 2019 Proclaimed "The Las Vegas Aces Day in the City of Las Vegas"
LAS VEGAS - The City of Las Vegas Office of the City Council today proclaimed October 17, 2019 to be The Las Vegas Aces Day in the City of Las Vegas.
Councilman Cedric Crear of Ward 5 delivered the proclamation to the Aces' front office staff; Wild Card Crew; and mascot, BUCKET$, at Wednesday's city council meeting.
The proclamation reads in part ...
Whereas; The Mayor and Las Vegas City Council are proud to recognize the Women's National Basketball Association (WNBA) Las Vegas Aces Basketball Team as a premier basketball team representing the City of Las Vegas, Nevada; and
Whereas; The Las Vegas Aces advanced this past season to the WNBA Semifinals in just their second year, going 21-13 during the regular season. The Aces have three players named All-Star Starters: Liz Cambage, Kayla McBride & A'ja Wilson. Additionally, Dearica Hamby was named WNBA Sixth Woman of the Year; and
Whereas; The Las Vegas Aces boasted the best defense in the league, and set a league record for rebounds ...; and
Whereas; The Las Vegas Aces established two major community initiatives: The "Lace Up Mentorship Program," which brings the Aces together with local high school girls basketball teams to teach life skills as well as basketball skills, and the "Slam Dunk Health Challenge," which promotes health and fitness in the Clark County School District elementary schools; and
Whereas; The Mayor and Las Vegas City Council are proud to have The Aces in Las Vegas representing our great city. They are comprised of a team who is involved in education, and promoting health education. We recognize their involvement, community spirit, and volunteerism. And now,
Therefore; We the Mayor and members of the Las Vegas City Council do hereby proudly proclaim October 17, 2019 The Las Vegas Aces Day In the City of Las Vegas.
"The Las Vegas Aces are extremely honored that the City Council chose to recognize the team for its efforts on the court and in the community this season," said Aces Assistant General Manager Christine Monjer. "Our players, coaches and front office staff remain deeply committed to making a positive impact on the city, and we are excited about what our third season of WNBA basketball has to offer."
• Discuss this story on the Women's National Basketball Association message board...
Women's National Basketball Association Stories from October 16, 2019
- October 17, 2019 Proclaimed "The Las Vegas Aces Day in the City of Las Vegas" - Las Vegas Aces
- New York Liberty Announce Head Coach Katie Smith's Contract Not Renewed - New York Liberty
- OSC Weekly Ratings Wrapup - OSC Original by David Carlson
- Las Vegas Aces Jackie Young Scores Game-High 9, But USAB Falls, 14-12, to Brazil in Quarterfinals - Las Vegas Aces
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Las Vegas Aces Stories
- Aces Come up Short as Storm Win Fourth WNBA Championship
- Storm Take 2-0 Lead with 104-91 Victory over Las Vegas
- A'ja Wilson Unanimous All-WNBA First Team Selection
- Stewart, Bird, Loyd Lead Storm to 93-80 Win over Las Vegas
- Aces Punch Ticket to WNBA Finals With 66-63 Victory over Sun