Strong 4th Lifts Red Claws over Nets
Portland, ME - The Maine Red Claws, presented by Unum, turned a close game into a rout in the 4th quarter, defeating the Long Island Nets, 125-114, snapping Long Island's 10 game winning streak.
Maine (19-27) was led by a huge performance from Archie Goodwin, who finished with 33 points off the bench. P.J. Dozier added 26 points, 5 rebounds and 8 assists, and Sheldon Jeter scored 21 points. Andrew White scored 20 points, his 6th 20+ point game in his last 7. John Bohannon was again near a triple-double with 11 points, 15 rebounds and 8 assists.
Long Island (31-16) was led by Brooklyn Nets assignee Dzanan Musa with 34 points to lead all scorers. Mitch Creek added 22 points in the loss, while Kamari Murphy recorded a 15 point-10 rebound double-double.
Bohannon picked up where he left off from Wednesday's triple-double performance, picking up an early assist, rebound and slam dunk. The Red Claws and Nets would trade baskets and leads in the first half of the period, with Musa's dunk giving the Nets a 13-10 lead. Musa's telegraph pass to Davis for a slam put Long Island up 7. White rattled in a three to stop the run for Maine. Goodwin buried a three to cut it to 2 points, but McCall's triple righted the ship for Long Island. The Nets led 29-23 after 1.
In the 2nd, Nick King knocked in a corner three to cut the deficit to 4, then followed that up with a driving lay-up. Dozier's bucket from Bohannon tied the game at 32. Musa's three stopped the run. Shannon Scott's three put Long Island up 4. White would keep the Red Claws in the game, knocking in another trey late in the shot clock. Jordan McLaughlin hit a late three to put the Nets up 4. At the half, Long Island led 60-56. Musa led all scorers with 18 points, while Goodwin had 15 at the break to lead Maine.
Long Island opened the 3rd quarter with 9 straight points, capped by a Kamari Murphy three-point play on a fast break. Musa's driving three-point play made it a 12-0 run to open the period and a 71-56 lead. White buried a long three to stop the bleeding. Sheldon Jeter knocked in back-to-back three's to get the Red Claws back to single digits at 76-68. Creek and the Nets quickly go the lead back to 10. Hunter finally broke through, making a three to cut it to 6. Musa continued to take over the game offensively. Still, the Red Claws shot well from downtown, with Goodwin knocking another one in. Vitto Brown's dunk made it a 97-94 game after 3.
In the 4th, the Red Claws quickly got it to 1 point. Goodwin gave Maine the lead with a 15-foot jump shot. Murphy drove and scored to put the Nets back on top. Dozier kept the Claws right there, scoring big buckets. Dozier beat the shot clock with a deep three to put Maine up 107-105. Goodwin's emphatic slam put Maine up 5, and Bohannon's tip in made it 113-106 Claws. The Red Claws out-scored Long Island 31-17 in the 4th quarter to cruise to victory.
Maine shot 51.2% (44-86) from the floor, 50% (16-32) from three-point range, and 21-25 from the free throw line. Long Island shot 48.2% (41-85) from the field, 31% (9-29) from beyond the arc, and 23-31 from the charity stripe.
The Red Claws return to action Sunday for the final home game of the season. Tickets are on sale by calling 207-210-6655 or visiting MaineRedClaws.com.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from March 15, 2019
- Blue Coats Fall to Bulls on Road - Delaware Blue Coats
- Christian Wood Comes up Big in Fourth to Give Herd Win over Magic - Wisconsin Herd
- Stars Win Fifth-Straight with Victory at Skyforce - Salt Lake City Stars
- Crawford Leads Hustle Past Oklahoma City for Third Straight Win - Memphis Hustle
- Windy City Bulls Clinch Spot in 2018-19 NBA G League Playoffs - Windy City Bulls
- Skyforce Woes Continue in Ninth Straight Loss - Sioux Falls Skyforce
- Record Crowd Witnesses Drive Victory - Grand Rapids Drive
- Strong 4th Lifts Red Claws over Nets - Maine Red Claws
- Elie Okobo Recalled from Northern Arizona Suns - Northern Arizona Suns
- Heat Signs Charles Cooke to 10-Day Contract - Sioux Falls Skyforce
- Austin Spurs to Host Youth Sports and Fan Appreciation Games - Austin Spurs
- Stockton Kings Become "Stockton Asparaguys" to Celebrate Country Themed Game - Stockton Kings
- Knicks Visit Conference Leading Rival Nets Saturday - Westchester Knicks
- San Antonio Recalls Chimezie Metu from Austin Spurs - Austin Spurs
- Swarm, Allegacy Raise $2,450 for Backpack Beginnings - Greensboro Swarm
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.