Swarm, Allegacy Raise $2,450 for Backpack Beginnings
(GREENSBORO, N.C.) - The Greensboro Swarm, the NBA G League affiliate of the Charlotte Hornets, and Allegacy Federal Credit Union raised $2,450 to donate to BackPack Beginnings via silent auction from the Swarm's theme jersey night, back on March 2. In addition to the funds raised for the game-worn jerseys, Allegacy will contribute $1,000 to bring the final donation amount to $3,450 for BackPack Beginnings.
"We are so appreciative of Allegacy, BackPack Beginnings and our fans for making another theme night so successful," Swarm President Steve Swetoha said. "This has become an annual occurrence to sell the game-worn jerseys to our passionate fans to positively impact the community. Three seasons in a row we have partnered with Allegacy to bring awareness and raise funds for a local nonprofit as a part of our continued efforts to support those in the Triad that supports us."
The theme jersey reflected BackPack Beginnings' commitment to the community, especially with children in need of food, clothing and nurturing. The all-black design included a backpack and pair of cargo shorts with the BackPack Beginnings logo. Fans purchased through a silent auction during the game, with winners recognized in a special postgame presentation with players on the court.
"We are thrilled to be able to recognize and support the incredible work that BackPack Beginnings is doing in the community with Guilford County children," said Chrystal Parnell, Allegacy Senior Vice President, Marketing. "When children are hungry they can't focus on what's important at school. At Allegacy, we understand that necessity and focus our efforts on organizations that address food insecurity, education support and promoting health care. Our employees also embody our continuing commitment to our community, completing almost 6,000 hours of volunteer time to area nonprofits last year."
BackPack Beginnings helps over 7,000 children experiencing hunger and trauma in the community. They serve children in need in 52 Guilford County Schools and 22 Child Assistance Organizations in Guilford, Forsyth and Alamance Counties. Through several programs, BackPack Beginnings makes a positive impact on the health and well-being of the children in the community.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from March 15, 2019
- Blue Coats Fall to Bulls on Road - Delaware Blue Coats
- Christian Wood Comes up Big in Fourth to Give Herd Win over Magic - Wisconsin Herd
- Stars Win Fifth-Straight with Victory at Skyforce - Salt Lake City Stars
- Crawford Leads Hustle Past Oklahoma City for Third Straight Win - Memphis Hustle
- Windy City Bulls Clinch Spot in 2018-19 NBA G League Playoffs - Windy City Bulls
- Skyforce Woes Continue in Ninth Straight Loss - Sioux Falls Skyforce
- Record Crowd Witnesses Drive Victory - Grand Rapids Drive
- Strong 4th Lifts Red Claws over Nets - Maine Red Claws
- Elie Okobo Recalled from Northern Arizona Suns - Northern Arizona Suns
- Heat Signs Charles Cooke to 10-Day Contract - Sioux Falls Skyforce
- Austin Spurs to Host Youth Sports and Fan Appreciation Games - Austin Spurs
- Stockton Kings Become "Stockton Asparaguys" to Celebrate Country Themed Game - Stockton Kings
- Knicks Visit Conference Leading Rival Nets Saturday - Westchester Knicks
- San Antonio Recalls Chimezie Metu from Austin Spurs - Austin Spurs
- Swarm, Allegacy Raise $2,450 for Backpack Beginnings - Greensboro Swarm
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.