Christian Wood Comes up Big in Fourth to Give Herd Win over Magic
OSHKOSH, Wis. - The Wisconsin Herd ended their final home game of the season with a 116-114 win over the Lakeland Magic in front of a sellout crowd at Menominee Nation Arena Friday night.
Both teams struggled to gain an advantage over the other in the first half. Lakeland looked to have broken the game open early, jumping out to an 11-point lead, its largest of the first half, with 1:09 remaining in the first quarter. The Magic struggled to build on that gap in the second, however, as the Herd crept back toward the end of the half. Wisconsin tied the game at 49 with 3:17 left to play before the break and took the lead on the next possession. There were four lead changes in the final 2:45 of the half (seven total).
The second half was much of the same, with the Herd and Magic both scoring 29 points in the third quarter to give Lakeland an 89-84 advantage heading into the final frame. Wisconsin found its stride in the fourth, shooting 47.1 percent (8-17) from the field and 60 percent (3-5) from beyond the arc, outscoring Lakeland 32 to 25 to earn the win. They were propelled to victory by Bucks assignee Christian Wood's 15-point quarter on perfect shooting (4-4 FG, 1-1 3FG, 6-6 FT).
Wisconsin was led by Wood, who earned another 30-point double-double with 35 points and 15 rebounds to go with three blocks. The Herd's back court combination of Xavier Munford (10 points, 4 rebounds and 5 assists) and Trevon Duval (15 points and 8 assists) had strong nights defensively, combining for six steals and two blocks.
Lakeland had seven scorers finish in double figures, led by forward Troy Caupain's 23 points. The two-way player also added seven rebounds and three steals. Guard Gabe York also impressed, tallying a 20-point, 10-rebound double-double.
The Herd closed their final three-game homestand of the year with the win tonight but embark on a four-game road trip to close the season beginning with Iowa tomorrow night. The Magic also play on the road in their next game, heading to Maine to take on the Red Claws on Sunday.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from March 15, 2019
- Blue Coats Fall to Bulls on Road - Delaware Blue Coats
- Christian Wood Comes up Big in Fourth to Give Herd Win over Magic - Wisconsin Herd
- Stars Win Fifth-Straight with Victory at Skyforce - Salt Lake City Stars
- Crawford Leads Hustle Past Oklahoma City for Third Straight Win - Memphis Hustle
- Windy City Bulls Clinch Spot in 2018-19 NBA G League Playoffs - Windy City Bulls
- Skyforce Woes Continue in Ninth Straight Loss - Sioux Falls Skyforce
- Record Crowd Witnesses Drive Victory - Grand Rapids Drive
- Strong 4th Lifts Red Claws over Nets - Maine Red Claws
- Elie Okobo Recalled from Northern Arizona Suns - Northern Arizona Suns
- Heat Signs Charles Cooke to 10-Day Contract - Sioux Falls Skyforce
- Austin Spurs to Host Youth Sports and Fan Appreciation Games - Austin Spurs
- Stockton Kings Become "Stockton Asparaguys" to Celebrate Country Themed Game - Stockton Kings
- Knicks Visit Conference Leading Rival Nets Saturday - Westchester Knicks
- San Antonio Recalls Chimezie Metu from Austin Spurs - Austin Spurs
- Swarm, Allegacy Raise $2,450 for Backpack Beginnings - Greensboro Swarm
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Wisconsin Herd Stories
- Wisconsin Herd Relieves Jordan Brady from Head Coaching Duties
- Christian Wood Comes up Big in Fourth to Give Herd Win over Magic
- Herd Wins Double-Overtime Thriller against Blue Coats
- Wisconsin Herd Teams up with Bergstrom Automotive to Support Make-A-Wish Wisconsin
- Herd Falls to Lakers Down the Stretch