Record Crowd Witnesses Drive Victory
GRAND RAPIDS - Kalin Lucas poured in 38 points as the Grand Rapids Drive (25-20) picked up a big 135-112 victory at home against the Stockton Kings (28-19) Friday night. The Drive scored 82 points in the first half for a franchise record, and also welcomed 6,319 fans to the DeltaPlex for Ben Wallace Night, the largest home crowd in franchise history.
Lucas went 7-of-14 from deep on his way to the 38 points, also dishing six assists. He scored 30 points in the first half alone. Fellow two-way player Isaiah Whitehead also had a big game for the Drive, scoring 25 points. Marcus Thornton also scored 20 points and Adam Woodbury scored 13 on only four field goal attempts with a team-high 15 rebounds. Speedy Smith added 10 points and a team-high 13 assists off the bench.
The three leading scorers for Stockton on the night all came from the bench, with Troy Williams putting up 25 points (23 of which came in the first half), Daniel Ochefu picking up 18 points and 10 rebounds, and Gabe Vincent also scoring 18 points. Among the starters for the Kings, Matt Jones chipped in 17 points and Cody Demps narrowly missed the triple-double with eight points, 10 rebounds and 11 assists.
The Drive scored a whopping 51 points in the second quarter and flew by their season best for points in a half, eclipsing it by a full 10 points. In the first half they shot 64 percent from the floor, hit 11 threes and racked up 18 assists. Lucas scored 17 in the first quarter and Whitehead followed him up with 14 in the second quarter.
The 135 points, their second-highest total of the season for Grand Rapids, were achieved on only 89 field goal attempts on the night. They missed just two of their 21 free throw attempts. For the second time this season, none of the Drive's shots were blocked.
The Drive will stay at home for their next contest, which will take place on Monday night against the Wisconsin Herd. The Kings, who have already clinched a playoff berth, will head back home for a Sunday tilt with the Greensboro Swarm.
Highlights:GAME >>> https://bit.ly/2UCuxoM
Kalin Lucas (38pts, 6ast, 2stl & 7 3pm) >>> https://bit.ly/2O6hxVS
Isaiah Whitehead (25pts & 2stl) >>> https://bit.ly/2ucgpH4
Marcus Thornton (20pts & 4 3pm) >>> https://bit.ly/2TLWKgE
Adam Woodbury (13pts & 15reb) >>> https://bit.ly/2VWs09c
Michael Bethea Jr. (12pts) >>> https://bit.ly/2Y2OcjC
Speedy Smith (10pts, 13ast & 2stl) >>> https://bit.ly/2T9gGVw
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from March 15, 2019
- Blue Coats Fall to Bulls on Road - Delaware Blue Coats
- Christian Wood Comes up Big in Fourth to Give Herd Win over Magic - Wisconsin Herd
- Stars Win Fifth-Straight with Victory at Skyforce - Salt Lake City Stars
- Crawford Leads Hustle Past Oklahoma City for Third Straight Win - Memphis Hustle
- Windy City Bulls Clinch Spot in 2018-19 NBA G League Playoffs - Windy City Bulls
- Skyforce Woes Continue in Ninth Straight Loss - Sioux Falls Skyforce
- Record Crowd Witnesses Drive Victory - Grand Rapids Drive
- Strong 4th Lifts Red Claws over Nets - Maine Red Claws
- Elie Okobo Recalled from Northern Arizona Suns - Northern Arizona Suns
- Heat Signs Charles Cooke to 10-Day Contract - Sioux Falls Skyforce
- Austin Spurs to Host Youth Sports and Fan Appreciation Games - Austin Spurs
- Stockton Kings Become "Stockton Asparaguys" to Celebrate Country Themed Game - Stockton Kings
- Knicks Visit Conference Leading Rival Nets Saturday - Westchester Knicks
- San Antonio Recalls Chimezie Metu from Austin Spurs - Austin Spurs
- Swarm, Allegacy Raise $2,450 for Backpack Beginnings - Greensboro Swarm
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.