Stingers Winning in Willmar
Willmar, Minn. - The Stingers get one back from the Rox in the summer series. The Highway 23 rivalry is at 2-1 still in favor of St. Cloud.
Jack Zigan (Minn. State-Mankato) had a strong start for the Stingers with six complete innings. He allowed two runs, one earned, on five hits. Zigan was efficient in the zone only walking one batter and striking out five.
The Rox struck first, scoring in the fourth and fifth innings. One hit was recorded in the fourth which scored a run. 1-0 Rox. In the fifth, an additional run was brought across by St. Cloud. Zigan was able to get out of a bases loaded situation to keep the score at 2-0 Rox.
In the bottom half of the fifth, a solo home run off the bat of Justin King (Alabama) scored the first run for the Stingers. Later that inning, Branden Boissiere (Arizona) scored off a ground ball from Walsh. 2-2 tie ballgame.
Casey Cobb (Alabama) was first in relief for the Stingers in the seventh. He went the next two innings while not allowing a hit, run or walk. Cobb had two strikeouts out of the six batters he faced. In the Stingers half of the seventh, Sam Baier (Augustana) scored off a ball put in play by Trousdale. 3-2 Stingers.
Aldo Fernandez (New Mexico State) came in to close for the Stingers, making his first appearance. Fernandez got the job done for a final score of 3-2 Stingers.
The 2019 Stingers season is presented by J.D. Kreps Financial Group. For more coverage of the Stingers visit the West Central Tribune online at www.wctrib.com.
• Discuss this story on the Northwoods League message board...
Northwoods League Stories from June 12, 2019
- Loggers use six-run 7th inning to top Thunder Bay 12-5 - La Crosse Loggers
- Stingers Winning in Willmar - Willmar Stingers
- Huskies Drop 5th Straight Game - Duluth Huskies
- Bombers Sweep Doubleheader against Growlers - Battle Creek Bombers
- Woodchucks Only Allow One Run in First of Two-Game Series with Green Bay - Wisconsin Woodchucks
- Weather Postpones Rafters Game with Dock Spiders - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Dock Spiders Game Postponed - Fond du Lac Dock Spiders
- Mallards Game against Chinooks Postponed Due to Rain - Madison Mallards
- Waterloo Throttles Duluth 13-4 - Waterloo Bucks
- Rafters Travel to Fond du Lac for Series Opener - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Mallards Looking for Redemption at Home against Chinooks - Madison Mallards
- Duluth Huskies Promotions Weekly Update - Duluth Huskies
- Chinooks' Offense Erupts in 13-4 Win - Lakeshore Chinooks
- Ketelsen Carves, Smiley Shoves, Bucks Dump Duluth 7-3 - Waterloo Bucks
- Rafters Split Doubleheader with Woodchucks - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Green Bay Victorious over Madison - Green Bay Booyah
- Stingers Complete Sweep - Willmar Stingers
- Mallards Drop Third-Straight Game - Madison Mallards
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Willmar Stingers Stories
- Northwoods League Coronavirus (COVID-19) Update (May 7)
- Impacts of COVID-19 on Stingers 2020 Season
- Share the Glove: Stingers Seek Applications for $2,000 Baseball Grant
- Stingers Introduce New Ticket Membership Option for 2020 Season
- Cardinal Alum Drey Dirksen Signs with Stingers