Chinooks' Offense Erupts in 13-4 Win
Fond du lac, WI - After dropping the first game of the double header 4-1, the Chinooks had an impressive offensive outing in the second game, defeating the Dock Spiders by 9 runs.
Lakeshore created traffic on the bases early, with Savier Pinales working a leadoff walk which was followed by a single by Cameron Hart and another walk issued to Justin Olson to load the bases. The run scored when Pinales crossed the plate as Austin Murr hit into a fielder's choice. The Dock Spiders answered in the bottom of the first and tied the game at one.
In the second, Trent Bauer hit a leadoff double and Ross Messina had an RBI-double to score Bauer and give the Chinooks the lead once more. Messina advanced to third with Jake Malec batting and scored on a wild pitch to give Lakeshore a two-run lead.
Lakeshore went down in order in the top of third and Fond du lac took advantage. Chinooks' relief pitcher Tony Grabowske issued a walk to Max Downs who advanced to third with a single from Zeb Adreon and scored on an RBI-double from Andrew Schleusner. Charlie Maxwell tied the game at three with a sacrifice fly to right fielder Dalton Wingo.
Lakeshore had a 5-run forth inning, taking a commanding lead. Griffin Doersching, the leadoff man in the inning, reached on an error by the Dock Spiders' third baseman and Trent Bauer took a base on balls. With runners on first and second, Fond du lac brought in reliever Parker Johnson who gave up a single to Messina, the first batter he faced, to load the bases. Malec followed with a double, scoring both Doersching and Bauer. With one out and runners on second and third, Cameron Hart hit a 2 RBI-double and Olson followed with an RBI-double of his own to make it an 8-3 game. The Dock Spiders plated one run in the fourth off a single from Kellen Sarver, but strong defense from the Chinooks allowed them to keep their lead.
Lakeshore's bats were still on fire in the fifth inning. Bauer and Messina had back-to-back singles and the bases were loaded with no outs after Malec was hit by a pitch. Pinales struck out for the first out, but Hart came up bit with a bases clearing triple. Wingo then gave the Chinooks another run with an RBI-single to allow Hart to cross the plate and make it 12-4.
Both teams went down in order in the sixth inning but the Chinooks weren't done and added another run in the seventh inning after a ground-rule, leadoff double for Malec who then advanced to third. Olson had an RBI-single to score Malec and make it 13-4.
Grabowske was the winning pitcher, going 4.1 innings and Parker Kirkpatrick recorded a save for Lakeshore, pitching three innings and recording five strikeouts. Hart was 2-5 on the night with 5 RBIs. Messina, Bauer, and Malec also had strong nights offensively going 3-5 with and RBI, 3-4, and 3-3 with 2 RBIs respectively.
This win improves the Chinooks to 5-11 on the season, but they are still last in the Great Lakes West division. Tomorrow, the Chinooks will face the Madison Mallards, leaders of the Great Lakes West, at Warner Park. First pitch is at 1:05pm.
• Discuss this story on the Northwoods League message board...
Northwoods League Stories from June 12, 2019
- Loggers use six-run 7th inning to top Thunder Bay 12-5 - La Crosse Loggers
- Stingers Winning in Willmar - Willmar Stingers
- Huskies Drop 5th Straight Game - Duluth Huskies
- Bombers Sweep Doubleheader against Growlers - Battle Creek Bombers
- Woodchucks Only Allow One Run in First of Two-Game Series with Green Bay - Wisconsin Woodchucks
- Weather Postpones Rafters Game with Dock Spiders - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Dock Spiders Game Postponed - Fond du Lac Dock Spiders
- Mallards Game against Chinooks Postponed Due to Rain - Madison Mallards
- Waterloo Throttles Duluth 13-4 - Waterloo Bucks
- Rafters Travel to Fond du Lac for Series Opener - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Mallards Looking for Redemption at Home against Chinooks - Madison Mallards
- Duluth Huskies Promotions Weekly Update - Duluth Huskies
- Chinooks' Offense Erupts in 13-4 Win - Lakeshore Chinooks
- Ketelsen Carves, Smiley Shoves, Bucks Dump Duluth 7-3 - Waterloo Bucks
- Rafters Split Doubleheader with Woodchucks - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Green Bay Victorious over Madison - Green Bay Booyah
- Stingers Complete Sweep - Willmar Stingers
- Mallards Drop Third-Straight Game - Madison Mallards
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.