Waterloo Throttles Duluth 13-4
In game one of Wednesday's split doubleheader, the Waterloo Bucks (8-8) slid back into a tie for first place with a 13-4 win over the Duluth Huskies (7-9).
Despite falling behind 2-0 in the first for the second straight game, Waterloo stormed back with two runs in the second, three in the third, one in the fourth and four in the fifth.
Cole Brooks drew a walk with two outs in the second, then Bennett Hostetler lifted a fairly routine single to right. An errant throw by Duluth's rightfielder allowed Brooks to score and gave Hostetler third base. The Bucks' shortstop promptly scampered home on a wild pitch, knotting the game at two.
Dylan Phillips roped a double in the second, setting up a go-ahead RBI single off the bat of Blake Berry. Caleb LittleJim hammered a triple off the left field wall, knocking in Berry, then scored on an ensuing Brooks base hit.
Phillips added a run in the fourth with an RBI triple belted off the center field fence. Already leading 6-2, Hostetler worked a bases-loaded walk in the fifth, setting up a three-run double by Alonzo Rubalcaba.
Bucks starter Austin VanDeWiele tossed 6.0 innings of four-run baseball, scattering 7 hits and two walks in earning his second win of the summer. The righthander struck out two, working at a 64.3% first-pitch strike rate and keeping Duluth off-balance throughout the afternoon.
Lorenzo Elion tacked on another run in the eighth with an RBI single. In the ninth, Sam Olson was hit by a pitch with the bases loaded immediately before Jake Gitter drew a walk to add the final two tallies.
Jack Parisi fired 3.o scoreless relief frames to earn his first save. Parisi struck out three and allowed just two hits and a pair of walks.
The Bucks turn their attention to a series win during the second game of Wednesday's doubleheader, with first pitch at 6:35 p.m. on the Bucks Radio Network powered by 1650 The Fan.
• Discuss this story on the Northwoods League message board...
Northwoods League Stories from June 12, 2019
- Loggers use six-run 7th inning to top Thunder Bay 12-5 - La Crosse Loggers
- Stingers Winning in Willmar - Willmar Stingers
- Huskies Drop 5th Straight Game - Duluth Huskies
- Bombers Sweep Doubleheader against Growlers - Battle Creek Bombers
- Woodchucks Only Allow One Run in First of Two-Game Series with Green Bay - Wisconsin Woodchucks
- Weather Postpones Rafters Game with Dock Spiders - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Dock Spiders Game Postponed - Fond du Lac Dock Spiders
- Mallards Game against Chinooks Postponed Due to Rain - Madison Mallards
- Waterloo Throttles Duluth 13-4 - Waterloo Bucks
- Rafters Travel to Fond du Lac for Series Opener - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Mallards Looking for Redemption at Home against Chinooks - Madison Mallards
- Duluth Huskies Promotions Weekly Update - Duluth Huskies
- Chinooks' Offense Erupts in 13-4 Win - Lakeshore Chinooks
- Ketelsen Carves, Smiley Shoves, Bucks Dump Duluth 7-3 - Waterloo Bucks
- Rafters Split Doubleheader with Woodchucks - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Green Bay Victorious over Madison - Green Bay Booyah
- Stingers Complete Sweep - Willmar Stingers
- Mallards Drop Third-Straight Game - Madison Mallards
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.