Rafters Split Doubleheader with Woodchucks
Wausau, Wis. - The Wisconsin Rapids Rafters (8-8) rode a strong performance by Jake Dunham and survived a late rally by the Wisconsin Woodchucks (9-7) to win game two of a doubleheader Tuesday by a final of 5-2.
Dunham broke a scoreless tie in the sixth inning with a solo home run to left field. One inning later, Dunham hit a three-RBI double in a bases-loaded situation to put the Rafters up 4-0 heading to the eighth. Wisconsin Rapids added an insurance run with a Dunham RBI single in the top of the ninth.
The Woodchucks responded with two runs in the bottom of the ninth and threatened with the bases loaded, but Richie Schiekofer caught a long fly ball to left field to secure the win for the Rafters.
Rafters starter Nate Barnes pitched five shutout innings, striking out three batters and giving up just three hits on his way to earning the win. Garret French pitched three innings out of the bullpen for Rapids, giving up two hits.
Chris Sparks got the first out of the ninth inning and Jimmy Borzone pitched the rest of the way for the save. Woodchucks pitcher Myles Gayman gets the loss.
The Rafters travel to Fond Du Lac Wednesday for a 6:35 p.m. divisional game to open up the season series. The team then returns home Thursday for the Hunger Coalition food sculpture event "United We Can," sponsored by United Way.
Want to attend a Rafters game this season? Single-game tickets are on sale now. For more information on all Rafters ticket offerings visit Raftersbaseball.com, call the Rafthouse at 715-424-5400, or come visit us over at historic Witter Field. The Rafters ticket office is open from 9:00 am to 5:00 pm, Monday through Friday at Witter Field, 521 Lincoln Street in Wisconsin Rapids.
• Discuss this story on the Northwoods League message board...
Northwoods League Stories from June 12, 2019
- Stingers Winning in Willmar - Willmar Stingers
- Huskies Drop 5th Straight Game - Duluth Huskies
- Bombers Sweep Doubleheader against Growlers - Battle Creek Bombers
- Woodchucks Only Allow One Run in First of Two-Game Series with Green Bay - Wisconsin Woodchucks
- Weather Postpones Rafters Game with Dock Spiders - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Dock Spiders Game Postponed - Fond du Lac Dock Spiders
- Mallards Game against Chinooks Postponed Due to Rain - Madison Mallards
- Waterloo Throttles Duluth 13-4 - Waterloo Bucks
- Rafters Travel to Fond du Lac for Series Opener - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Mallards Looking for Redemption at Home against Chinooks - Madison Mallards
- Duluth Huskies Promotions Weekly Update - Duluth Huskies
- Chinooks' Offense Erupts in 13-4 Win - Lakeshore Chinooks
- Ketelsen Carves, Smiley Shoves, Bucks Dump Duluth 7-3 - Waterloo Bucks
- Rafters Split Doubleheader with Woodchucks - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Green Bay Victorious over Madison - Green Bay Booyah
- Stingers Complete Sweep - Willmar Stingers
- Mallards Drop Third-Straight Game - Madison Mallards
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.