Stingers Seven Run Sixth Inning Knocks out Huskies
Duluth, MN - The Willmar Stingers put up seven runs in the sixth inning that gave Willmar their eventual dominating 10-5 victory over the Duluth Huskies. Stinger shortstop Chris Campos led the Willmar offense, circulating three hits in six at bats. Starting pitcher for the Stingers in Josh Wintroub showed grit after giving up two runs in the first inning, to officially end his stat line allowing three runs over five innings of work. Monday night's win places the Stingers ahead of Duluth in the season series 4-3 with one more contest left between the two.
All tied up at three going into the top of the sixth, head coach Marcus Pointer decided to replace starting pitcher Ben Pedersen for Xavier Fossbenner. Bases loaded and two outs in the top half, Fosbenner granted a two RBI single to catcher Drey Dirksen that showed Willmar snatching their first lead of the game at 5-3. Fosbenner was later replaced by Richard Kiel, who plunked the first batter he faced in first baseman Tate Meiners to increase the Stingers lead to 6-3.
The next batter in second baseman Brady Counsell shot a towering pop fly into shallow right field that fell in between second baseman Drew Grindhal and right fielder Calyn Halvorson. With Counsell Steaming towards second, Halvorson threw the ball into left field trying to gun down Counsell at the bag. As a result, Counsell scored on what would go down as a little league home run, thus plating home the seventh run of the inning. The Stingers led 10-3 after the nightmare was over.
Two runs came across for Duluth in the bottom of the seventh inning, but it was the only offensive production they could nudge. Willmar would go on to take game one by a final of 10-5.
Five games remain on the 2021 schedule now for the Huskies, and with Eau Claire's victory over La Crosse tonight Duluth is two games up on both squads. The magic number now moves to four for the Huskies in order for a postseason berth.
• Discuss this story on the Northwoods League message board...
Northwoods League Stories from August 10, 2021
- Huskies Defeat Stingers 5-0 to Split Series - Willmar Stingers
- Rafters Eight Game Win Streak Ends, Split Series with Woodchucks - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Costello Doubles Twice for Five RBI, MoonDogs Shutout Larks for Three-Game Sweep AndÂ Five Wins in a Row - Mankato MoonDogs
- Duluth Shuts out Willmar to Split Season Series - Duluth Huskies
- Bombers Walk off the Growlers and Split the I-94 Cup - Battle Creek Bombers
- Traverse City Jumps on Rockford Early in Game One, Game Two Rained Out - Rockford Rivets
- Woodchucks Cruise over Rafters - Wisconsin Woodchucks
- Another Double-Digit Victory over Rockford - Traverse City Pit Spitters
- Larks to Show Free Movie at Ballpark - Bismarck Larks
- Mallards Go for Sweep over Booyah - Madison Mallards
- Tough Loss Leaves Loggers 1 Game from Playoffs - La Crosse Loggers
- Booyah to Finish Season Series with Mallards - Green Bay Rockers
- Honkers Lose Opener in St. Cloud 15-0 - Rochester Honkers
- Stingers Take Series Opener over Huskies - Willmar Stingers
- Booyah Swept in Doubleheader - Green Bay Rockers
- Rox Dominate Honkers for 47th Win, One Win Away from Home-Field Advantage - St. Cloud Rox
- Stingers Seven Run Sixth Inning Knocks out Huskies - Duluth Huskies
- MoonDogs Overwhelm Larks in Monday Doubleheader at ISG Field - Mankato MoonDogs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.