MoonDogs Overwhelm Larks in Monday Doubleheader at ISG Field
MANKATO, Minn. -Â The Mankato MoonDogs (42-21) won both games of a doubleheader, 4-3 and 6-4, over the Bismarck Larks (28-35), Monday at ISG Field.
GAME ONE - MANKATO 4, BISMARCK 3
While inheriting a 1-0 lead from a game that was rained out with one out in the top of the second inning back on July 5, the MoonDogs began Monday's doubleheader with a lead until Bismarck answered to tie the game in the bottom of the second inning.Â
In the fifth inning, Bismarck answered Mankato's one run from the top half of the inning with two of their own. After five innings in game one at ISG Field, the MoonDogs trailed the Larks 3-2.
Ninth inning heroics from MoonDogs' infielderÂ Evan BerkeyÂ (Evansville) guided Mankato to victory as he tripled to the alley in right to tie the game before scoring on a wild pitch which gave the MoonDogs the lead.
Mankato held on to win 4-3 withÂ Vince ReillyÂ (Grand Canyon) working on the hill relief for his seventh save of the summer.
In game one, the MoonDogs outhit the Larks 8-7 while Bismarck was responsible for the game's only error.
The Reilly brothers,Â Blake ReillyÂ (Grand Canyon) and Vince Reilly (Grand Canyon), worked together to win and secure game one. Blake got the win to move to 3-1 on the hill following his relief appearance from the seventh through the eighth inning before, his twin brother, Vince secured his seventh save of the season in the ninth inning.
GAME TWO - MANKATO 6, BISMARCK 4
Game two saw the MoonDogs prevail again over the Larks. However, the Larks struck first with one run in the third inning. But from that point on, the MoonDogs surged to score six runs while allowing just three to upend the Larks, 6-4.
After the Larks scored first in game two, the MoonDogs scored a pair of runs in the fourth before tallying four more in the fifth to take a commanding 6-1 lead.
The Larks battled back in the sixth by scoring three runs, but that was all they could manage for the remainder of the evening as Mankato went on to defeat Bismarck by a final score of 6-4.
Mankato took down Bismarck in the hits department again in game two, 8-5, while the Larks suffered from the game's only errors once more, they had two in the contest.
The win went to Mankato's starting pitcher,Â Owen BoeremaÂ (Northwestern - St. Paul), as he moved to a 4-3 record in the 2021 campaign. Again in game two, Vince Reilly got the save for his team-high eighth of the season.
Tuesday marks the series and season finale between the MoonDogs and Larks. The first pitch between Mankato and Bismarck is slated for 6:35 p.m. at ISG Field.
• Discuss this story on the Northwoods League message board...
Northwoods League Stories from August 10, 2021
- Huskies Defeat Stingers 5-0 to Split Series - Willmar Stingers
- Rafters Eight Game Win Streak Ends, Split Series with Woodchucks - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Costello Doubles Twice for Five RBI, MoonDogs Shutout Larks for Three-Game Sweep AndÂ Five Wins in a Row - Mankato MoonDogs
- Duluth Shuts out Willmar to Split Season Series - Duluth Huskies
- Bombers Walk off the Growlers and Split the I-94 Cup - Battle Creek Bombers
- Traverse City Jumps on Rockford Early in Game One, Game Two Rained Out - Rockford Rivets
- Woodchucks Cruise over Rafters - Wisconsin Woodchucks
- Another Double-Digit Victory over Rockford - Traverse City Pit Spitters
- Larks to Show Free Movie at Ballpark - Bismarck Larks
- Mallards Go for Sweep over Booyah - Madison Mallards
- Tough Loss Leaves Loggers 1 Game from Playoffs - La Crosse Loggers
- Booyah to Finish Season Series with Mallards - Green Bay Rockers
- Honkers Lose Opener in St. Cloud 15-0 - Rochester Honkers
- Stingers Take Series Opener over Huskies - Willmar Stingers
- Booyah Swept in Doubleheader - Green Bay Rockers
- Rox Dominate Honkers for 47th Win, One Win Away from Home-Field Advantage - St. Cloud Rox
- Stingers Seven Run Sixth Inning Knocks out Huskies - Duluth Huskies
- MoonDogs Overwhelm Larks in Monday Doubleheader at ISG Field - Mankato MoonDogs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Mankato MoonDogs Stories
- MoonDogs Named NWL Organization of the Year
- MoonDogs 20th Season Concludes In Great Plains West Sub-Divisional
- Rox Shutout MoonDogs at ISG Field to Open 2021 Postseason
- MoonDogs Fall Hosting Honkers in Regular Season Finale
- Pender Deals in Final Outing, MoonDogs Upend Honkers 6-4 at ISG Field