Costello Doubles Twice for Five RBI, MoonDogs Shutout Larks for Three-Game Sweep AndÂ Five Wins in a Row
MANKATO, Minn. -Â The Mankato MoonDogs (43-21) took down the Bismarck Larks (28-36) to sweep the three-game series by a final score of 8-0 and win their fifth consecutive contest, Tuesday night at ISG Field.Â
A pair of four-run frames in the third and eighth inning, as well as dominant pitching from Mankato's pitching staff, were the highlight of the MoonDogs' 8-0 victory over the visiting Larks, Tuesday evening. MoonDogs third basemanÂ Jack CostelloÂ (San Diego) thrived in the contest, sporting a 3-for-5 line with two runs scored and a pair of run-scoring doubles for a total of 5 RBI.
The MoonDogs first offensive surge of the evening came in the third inning when Costello scored a pair beforeÂ Evan BerkeyÂ (Evansville) andÂ Max CrabbeÂ (Texas State) each drove in a run. All three of the MoonDogs' infielders scored the runs with RBI doubles. After three innings at ISG Field, the MoonDogs led the Larks, 4-0.
In the eighth inning, Costello struck again for another RBI double that cleared the bases, this time for three runs. Two batters later, Crabbe added a second RBI to his resume with a groundout that scored Costello from third base to make it an eight-run ballgame.
The game ultimately finished up as an 8-0 decision with the MoonDogs outhitting the Larks, 9-5. For the third time in the series, the MoonDogs were perfect on the defensive end with no errors while the Larks dawned a pair of defensive miscues.
Earning the win to move to 1-1 while making his first start of the summer was the MoonDogs' hard-throwing righty,Â Thomas BrussÂ (Augustana). Mankato's second-year veteran arm threw five innings of shutout baseball while allowing three hits, two walks and recording four strikeouts along the way.
The Mankato MoonDogs resume their final homestand of the summer on Wednesday when they play host to the Duluth Huskies (27-37) with a 6:35 p.m. first pitch at ISG Field.
• Discuss this story on the Northwoods League message board...
Northwoods League Stories from August 10, 2021
- Huskies Defeat Stingers 5-0 to Split Series - Willmar Stingers
- Rafters Eight Game Win Streak Ends, Split Series with Woodchucks - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Costello Doubles Twice for Five RBI, MoonDogs Shutout Larks for Three-Game Sweep AndÂ Five Wins in a Row - Mankato MoonDogs
- Duluth Shuts out Willmar to Split Season Series - Duluth Huskies
- Bombers Walk off the Growlers and Split the I-94 Cup - Battle Creek Bombers
- Traverse City Jumps on Rockford Early in Game One, Game Two Rained Out - Rockford Rivets
- Woodchucks Cruise over Rafters - Wisconsin Woodchucks
- Another Double-Digit Victory over Rockford - Traverse City Pit Spitters
- Larks to Show Free Movie at Ballpark - Bismarck Larks
- Mallards Go for Sweep over Booyah - Madison Mallards
- Tough Loss Leaves Loggers 1 Game from Playoffs - La Crosse Loggers
- Booyah to Finish Season Series with Mallards - Green Bay Rockers
- Honkers Lose Opener in St. Cloud 15-0 - Rochester Honkers
- Stingers Take Series Opener over Huskies - Willmar Stingers
- Booyah Swept in Doubleheader - Green Bay Rockers
- Rox Dominate Honkers for 47th Win, One Win Away from Home-Field Advantage - St. Cloud Rox
- Stingers Seven Run Sixth Inning Knocks out Huskies - Duluth Huskies
- MoonDogs Overwhelm Larks in Monday Doubleheader at ISG Field - Mankato MoonDogs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Mankato MoonDogs Stories
- MoonDogs Named NWL Organization of the Year
- MoonDogs 20th Season Concludes In Great Plains West Sub-Divisional
- Rox Shutout MoonDogs at ISG Field to Open 2021 Postseason
- MoonDogs Fall Hosting Honkers in Regular Season Finale
- Pender Deals in Final Outing, MoonDogs Upend Honkers 6-4 at ISG Field