Rafters Eight Game Win Streak Ends, Split Series with Woodchucks
Wausau, WI - The Wisconsin Rapids Rafters (35-33) fell to the Wisconsin Woodchucks (43-25) by a score of 10-2 on an overcast Tuesday evening at Athletic Park.
The Rafters eight-game winning streak came to an end. It was the longest of the season and featured two wins over the Kalamazoo Growlers, Green Bay Booyah, Battle Creek Bombers, and one win over the Fond Du Lac Dock Spiders and Wisconsin Woodchucks. Tonight, was the Rafters' first loss in August.
Wisconsin Rapids started the scoring with a fielder's choice by Ben Swords (Webster) that scored Reeve Holley (Cal Baptist), who reached via a walk.
The Woodchucks responded with a run in the bottom of the first and three singles to start the second, all those baserunners scored.
A McKinley Erves (LaGrange) walk and EJ Exposito (Long Island) double started the third. Swords lifted a ball into centerfield and scored Erves, cutting the Woodchucks lead to 4-2. Swords now has five multi-RBI games this season.
Over the middle three innings, the Rafters only gained one baserunner.
The Chucks loaded the bases in the fifth which removed Rafters starter Ben Schoneman (Colorado School of Mines). Tanner Chafin (LaGrange) got the final two outs in the inning. Chafin, who threw two scoreless yesterday, finished 2.2 innings today allowing no runs, and added a strikeout.
A three-run home run for the Woodchucks came in the eighth and brought the Chucks to double digits runs.
Wisconsin Rapids complete their three-game road trip tomorrow in Ashwaubenon. The Rafters and Green Bay Booyah will meet up for the final time at Capital Credit Union Park. First pitch at 6:35 p.m. with coverage on WFHR AM 1320.
• Discuss this story on the Northwoods League message board...
Northwoods League Stories from August 10, 2021
- Huskies Defeat Stingers 5-0 to Split Series - Willmar Stingers
- Rafters Eight Game Win Streak Ends, Split Series with Woodchucks - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Costello Doubles Twice for Five RBI, MoonDogs Shutout Larks for Three-Game Sweep AndÂ Five Wins in a Row - Mankato MoonDogs
- Duluth Shuts out Willmar to Split Season Series - Duluth Huskies
- Bombers Walk off the Growlers and Split the I-94 Cup - Battle Creek Bombers
- Traverse City Jumps on Rockford Early in Game One, Game Two Rained Out - Rockford Rivets
- Woodchucks Cruise over Rafters - Wisconsin Woodchucks
- Another Double-Digit Victory over Rockford - Traverse City Pit Spitters
- Larks to Show Free Movie at Ballpark - Bismarck Larks
- Mallards Go for Sweep over Booyah - Madison Mallards
- Tough Loss Leaves Loggers 1 Game from Playoffs - La Crosse Loggers
- Booyah to Finish Season Series with Mallards - Green Bay Booyah
- Honkers Lose Opener in St. Cloud 15-0 - Rochester Honkers
- Stingers Take Series Opener over Huskies - Willmar Stingers
- Booyah Swept in Doubleheader - Green Bay Booyah
- Rox Dominate Honkers for 47th Win, One Win Away from Home-Field Advantage - St. Cloud Rox
- Stingers Seven Run Sixth Inning Knocks out Huskies - Duluth Huskies
- MoonDogs Overwhelm Larks in Monday Doubleheader at ISG Field - Mankato MoonDogs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.