Steelheads Open Season with 3-2 Win over Grizzlies
WEST VALLEY CITY, Utah - The Idaho Steelheads (1-0-0) scored early and held off a comeback attempt, taking down the Utah Grizzlies (0-1-0) with a 3-2 win on Friday night from Maverik Center. The Steelheads win their first road game to open the season since 2014-15 and their opening game for the second time in three seasons.
The Steelheads scored the first goal of the new season on the power play at 15:45 of the first period when forward Joe Basaraba found forward Zack Andrusiak for a one-time shot outside the left circle for his first professional goal and the lead, 1-0. Just over one minute later at 16:54, forward Brett Supinski also nets his first professional goal on a deflection off a shot by Captain A.J. White to double the lead, 2-0.
After another scoreless front half of a period, the Grizzlies netted their first goal of the year on the power play at 10:46 thanks to a one-time shot by forward Travis Barron to cut the lead in half, 2-1. However, the Steelheads answered back at 14:44 when a takeaway by forward Spencer Naas led to a shot by forward Anthony Nellis from the left circle, spreading the lead back to 3-1.
In the third period, the Grizzlies put back an early response at 1:44 thanks to forward Yuri Terao to cut the lead down to one again, 3-2. Despite being outshot in the final frame, the Steelheads held off the Grizzlies' attempts at a comeback and took their first win of the season.
Steelheads goaltender Tomas Sholl (1-0-0) halted 30 of 32 shots in the win, while Grizzlies netminder Hunter Miska (0-1-0) stopped 36 of 39 shots in the loss.
The Steelheads close their opening weekend against the Grizzlies on Saturday, Oct. 12 at 7:10 p.m. from Maverik Center. Coverage begins at 6:50 p.m. on 1350AM KTIK "The Ticket".
The Steelheads open the 2019-20 home schedule at CenturyLink Arena on Friday, Oct. 18 against the Wichita Thunder to kick of Home Opening Weekend. Call the Steelheads Front Office at 208-383-0080 to plan your seats for this season, including single-game, flex plans and season tickets. Stay connected to the Steelheads on idahosteelheads.com or by following the team on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from October 11, 2019
- Topping It off with an Overtime Win - Allen Americans
- Fuel Battle to the Finish in OT Win over Thunder - Indy Fuel
- Steelheads Open Season with 3-2 Win over Grizzlies - Idaho Steelheads
- Oilers Gallop Past Mavericks on Opening Night - Tulsa Oilers
- Everblades Edge Norfolk on Opening Night - Norfolk Admirals
- Mavericks Drop Season Opener in Tulsa, 5-2 - Kansas City Mavericks
- Thunder Spoil Mariners' Home Opener, Win 5-2 - Adirondack Thunder
- Opening Statement: 'Blades Top Admirals 4-3 to Pick up First Win - Florida Everblades
- Mariners Comeback Attempt Falls Short in Home Opener - Maine Mariners
- Royals Overcome Third-Period Deficit for 6-5 Win on Opening Night - Reading Royals
- Growlers Fall 6-5 in Home Opener to Reading - Newfoundland Growlers
- Game Notes: at Allen - Rapid City Rush
- Mavericks Announce Captains for 2019-20 Season - Kansas City Mavericks
- Nailers Announce 2019-20 Roster & Captains - Wheeling Nailers
- John Gurskis Hired as an Assistant Coach - Wichita Thunder
- Rush Name Leadership Team for 2019-20 Season - Rapid City Rush
- Solar Bears Welcome Jewett Orthopaedic Clinic as New Rink Naming Rights Partner - Orlando Solar Bears
- Canucks Assign Rookie Defenseman to Kalamazoo - Kalamazoo Wings
- IceMen Receive Pair of Defensemen from AHL Manitoba - Jacksonville IceMen
- Hensick to Wear the C - Toledo Walleye
- Beast Announce Leadership Group Ahead of Home Opener - Brampton Beast
- Preview: Everblades vs Admirals - Opening Night - Norfolk Admirals
- Growlers Pregame Notes: October 11 vs. Reading Royals - Newfoundland Growlers
- Royals Look to Spoil Growlers' Home Opener - Reading Royals
Other Recent Idaho Steelheads Stories
- Goaltender Matt Jurusik Joins Steelheads
- ECHL Confirms Start Date for 2020-21 Season
- Forward Calder Brooks and Defenseman Darren Brady Join Steelheads
- Idaho Central Arena: New Name, New Updates Coming to Downtown Boise
- Forward Brett Supinski Returns to Steelheads