Steelheads Open Season with 3-2 Win over Grizzlies
WEST VALLEY CITY, Utah - The Idaho Steelheads (1-0-0) scored early and held off a comeback attempt, taking down the Utah Grizzlies (0-1-0) with a 3-2 win on Friday night from Maverik Center. The Steelheads win their first road game to open the season since 2014-15 and their opening game for the second time in three seasons.
The Steelheads scored the first goal of the new season on the power play at 15:45 of the first period when forward Joe Basaraba found forward Zack Andrusiak for a one-time shot outside the left circle for his first professional goal and the lead, 1-0. Just over one minute later at 16:54, forward Brett Supinski also nets his first professional goal on a deflection off a shot by Captain A.J. White to double the lead, 2-0.
After another scoreless front half of a period, the Grizzlies netted their first goal of the year on the power play at 10:46 thanks to a one-time shot by forward Travis Barron to cut the lead in half, 2-1. However, the Steelheads answered back at 14:44 when a takeaway by forward Spencer Naas led to a shot by forward Anthony Nellis from the left circle, spreading the lead back to 3-1.
In the third period, the Grizzlies put back an early response at 1:44 thanks to forward Yuri Terao to cut the lead down to one again, 3-2. Despite being outshot in the final frame, the Steelheads held off the Grizzlies' attempts at a comeback and took their first win of the season.
Steelheads goaltender Tomas Sholl (1-0-0) halted 30 of 32 shots in the win, while Grizzlies netminder Hunter Miska (0-1-0) stopped 36 of 39 shots in the loss.
The Steelheads close their opening weekend against the Grizzlies on Saturday, Oct. 12 at 7:10 p.m. from Maverik Center. Coverage begins at 6:50 p.m. on 1350AM KTIK "The Ticket".
The Steelheads open the 2019-20 home schedule at CenturyLink Arena on Friday, Oct. 18 against the Wichita Thunder to kick of Home Opening Weekend. Call the Steelheads Front Office at 208-383-0080 to plan your seats for this season, including single-game, flex plans and season tickets. Stay connected to the Steelheads on idahosteelheads.com or by following the team on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from October 11, 2019
- Topping It off with an Overtime Win - Allen Americans
- Fuel Battle to the Finish in OT Win over Thunder - Indy Fuel
- Steelheads Open Season with 3-2 Win over Grizzlies - Idaho Steelheads
- Oilers Gallop Past Mavericks on Opening Night - Tulsa Oilers
- Everblades Edge Norfolk on Opening Night - Norfolk Admirals
- Mavericks Drop Season Opener in Tulsa, 5-2 - Kansas City Mavericks
- Thunder Spoil Mariners' Home Opener, Win 5-2 - Adirondack Thunder
- Opening Statement: 'Blades Top Admirals 4-3 to Pick up First Win - Florida Everblades
- Mariners Comeback Attempt Falls Short in Home Opener - Maine Mariners
- Royals Overcome Third-Period Deficit for 6-5 Win on Opening Night - Reading Royals
- Growlers Fall 6-5 in Home Opener to Reading - Newfoundland Growlers
- Game Notes: at Allen - Rapid City Rush
- Mavericks Announce Captains for 2019-20 Season - Kansas City Mavericks
- Nailers Announce 2019-20 Roster & Captains - Wheeling Nailers
- John Gurskis Hired as an Assistant Coach - Wichita Thunder
- Rush Name Leadership Team for 2019-20 Season - Rapid City Rush
- Solar Bears Welcome Jewett Orthopaedic Clinic as New Rink Naming Rights Partner - Orlando Solar Bears
- Canucks Assign Rookie Defenseman to Kalamazoo - Kalamazoo Wings
- IceMen Receive Pair of Defensemen from AHL Manitoba - Jacksonville IceMen
- Hensick to Wear the C - Toledo Walleye
- Beast Announce Leadership Group Ahead of Home Opener - Brampton Beast
- Preview: Everblades vs Admirals - Opening Night - Norfolk Admirals
- Growlers Pregame Notes: October 11 vs. Reading Royals - Newfoundland Growlers
- Royals Look to Spoil Growlers' Home Opener - Reading Royals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Idaho Steelheads Stories
- Steelheads Set New Teddy Bear Toss Record, Donate 8,088 Toys
- Steelheads Fall 4-2 to Komets in Spirited First Franchise Meeting
- Steelheads, St. Luke's Go "Under The Sea" for Nickelodeon Night This Saturday
- Steelheads Weekly
- Steelheads Score Early, Fall Late in 4-3 Overtime Loss to Allen