John Gurskis Hired as an Assistant Coach
Wichita, KS - The Wichita Thunder, ECHL affiliate of the NHL's Edmonton Oilers, AHL's Bakersfield Condors and powered by Toyota, announced today the hiring of John Gurskis as an assistant coach.
Gurskis was a teammate of current Thunder Head Coach, Bruce Ramsay, during the 2000-01 season. A native of Brockton, Massachusetts, the 43-year old enters the pro ranks for the first time in a coaching position. He served as a Player/Assistant Coach during four separate seasons with Macon, St. Pete-Winston Salem and the Florida Seals. He has been involved with the South Shore Kings in several different roles since 2008-09, working with kids.
Prior to retiring, Gurskis turned pro in 1998 with the ECHL's Columbus Chill and had a successful career at the minor league level. He had his best season in 2001-02 with the Thunder, recording 64 points (28g, 36a) in 69 games. Gurskis played all the way until the 2007-08 season when he finished his playing career with the Southern Professional Hockey League's Twin City Cyclones.
Wichita opens the season at home on Friday and Saturday, October 11th and 12th and will host the 2020 Warrior Hockey/ECHL All-Star Classic, presented by Toyota, on Wednesday January 22nd, 2020. Get your tickets now for the league's annual showcase that features some of the best young talent across the ECHL.
Season tickets for the 2019-20 season are on sale now. Get your seats for just $34 per month. All it takes is a $1 deposit per seat to reserve yours today. To learn more, click here or contact a Thunder representative at the office today!
Images from this story
Wichita Thunder assistant coach John Gurskis
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from October 11, 2019
- Topping It off with an Overtime Win - Allen Americans
- Fuel Battle to the Finish in OT Win over Thunder - Indy Fuel
- Steelheads Open Season with 3-2 Win over Grizzlies - Idaho Steelheads
- Oilers Gallop Past Mavericks on Opening Night - Tulsa Oilers
- Everblades Edge Norfolk on Opening Night - Norfolk Admirals
- Mavericks Drop Season Opener in Tulsa, 5-2 - Kansas City Mavericks
- Thunder Spoil Mariners' Home Opener, Win 5-2 - Adirondack Thunder
- Opening Statement: 'Blades Top Admirals 4-3 to Pick up First Win - Florida Everblades
- Mariners Comeback Attempt Falls Short in Home Opener - Maine Mariners
- Royals Overcome Third-Period Deficit for 6-5 Win on Opening Night - Reading Royals
- Growlers Fall 6-5 in Home Opener to Reading - Newfoundland Growlers
- Game Notes: at Allen - Rapid City Rush
- Mavericks Announce Captains for 2019-20 Season - Kansas City Mavericks
- Nailers Announce 2019-20 Roster & Captains - Wheeling Nailers
- John Gurskis Hired as an Assistant Coach - Wichita Thunder
- Rush Name Leadership Team for 2019-20 Season - Rapid City Rush
- Solar Bears Welcome Jewett Orthopaedic Clinic as New Rink Naming Rights Partner - Orlando Solar Bears
- Canucks Assign Rookie Defenseman to Kalamazoo - Kalamazoo Wings
- IceMen Receive Pair of Defensemen from AHL Manitoba - Jacksonville IceMen
- Hensick to Wear the C - Toledo Walleye
- Beast Announce Leadership Group Ahead of Home Opener - Brampton Beast
- Preview: Everblades vs Admirals - Opening Night - Norfolk Admirals
- Growlers Pregame Notes: October 11 vs. Reading Royals - Newfoundland Growlers
- Royals Look to Spoil Growlers' Home Opener - Reading Royals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.