Mavericks Drop Season Opener in Tulsa, 5-2
TULSA, Okla. - The Kansas City Mavericks lost their season opener against the Tulsa Oilers by a final score of 5-2. Newcomer forward Jack Walker netted the first goal of the season for Kansas City, veteran forward David Dziurzynski had a multipoint game with a goal and an assist and the Mavericks went five-for-five on the penalty kill. The Mavericks now return home for their Home Opener against the Indy Fuel on Saturday night at Silverstein Eye Centers Arena.
Tulsa grabbed an early 1-0 lead 4:09 into the first period on a goal from Devin Sideroff. The goal was assisted by Adam Pleskach and Ryan Tesink. The Oilers' lead didn't last long, as Mavericks newcomer forward Jack Walker took a feed in the slot from David Dziurzynski and buried it to tie the game at 1-1 at the 6:25 mark of the first period. Dziurzynski and defenseman John Furgele picked up the assists on the game-tying goal. Pleskach gave the Oilers a late first period 2-1 lead, stuffing home a feed from Sideroff with 1:54 left in the opening period. The Mavericks outshot Tulsa 17-8 in the first period.
The Mavericks drew even at the 8:35 mark of the second period when rookie forward Ryan Galt found David Dziurzynski in the slot from behind the net, tying the game at 2-2. Galt and defenseman Kevin McKernan assisted on the goal. The assist was Galt's first as a professional. The Oilers snatched the lead back with 5:48 left in the second on a goal by Jake Clifford. Mike McKee and Jared Thomas assisted on the goal. The Oilers poured on the shots in the period, outshooting KC 14-4.
The Oilers doubled their lead to 4-2 at the 8:52 mark of the final period of regulation on a goal from Ryan Tesink. Steven Kaunisto assisted on the goal. The Mavericks were held without a shot in the third period until the 15:25 mark. Sideroff extended the Oilers lead to 5-2 at the 16:11 mark of the third. Dylan Moynihan and Pleskach picked up the assists and the Oilers closed out the game with a 5-2 win.
The Mavericks were strong on the penalty kill all night, going five-for-five when down a man. Rookie goaltender Hayden Hawkey stopped 29 of 34 Tulsa shots in his professional debut.
The Mavericks now head home for their Home Opener to face the Indy Fuel on Saturday at Silverstein Eye Centers Arena. Faceoff is at 7:05 p.m. Tickets start at $12, but seats for Saturday's Home Opener against the Fuel are limited. Tickets are on sale now at ticketmaster.com.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from October 11, 2019
- Topping It off with an Overtime Win - Allen Americans
- Fuel Battle to the Finish in OT Win over Thunder - Indy Fuel
- Steelheads Open Season with 3-2 Win over Grizzlies - Idaho Steelheads
- Oilers Gallop Past Mavericks on Opening Night - Tulsa Oilers
- Everblades Edge Norfolk on Opening Night - Norfolk Admirals
- Mavericks Drop Season Opener in Tulsa, 5-2 - Kansas City Mavericks
- Thunder Spoil Mariners' Home Opener, Win 5-2 - Adirondack Thunder
- Opening Statement: 'Blades Top Admirals 4-3 to Pick up First Win - Florida Everblades
- Mariners Comeback Attempt Falls Short in Home Opener - Maine Mariners
- Royals Overcome Third-Period Deficit for 6-5 Win on Opening Night - Reading Royals
- Growlers Fall 6-5 in Home Opener to Reading - Newfoundland Growlers
- Game Notes: at Allen - Rapid City Rush
- Mavericks Announce Captains for 2019-20 Season - Kansas City Mavericks
- Nailers Announce 2019-20 Roster & Captains - Wheeling Nailers
- John Gurskis Hired as an Assistant Coach - Wichita Thunder
- Rush Name Leadership Team for 2019-20 Season - Rapid City Rush
- Solar Bears Welcome Jewett Orthopaedic Clinic as New Rink Naming Rights Partner - Orlando Solar Bears
- Canucks Assign Rookie Defenseman to Kalamazoo - Kalamazoo Wings
- IceMen Receive Pair of Defensemen from AHL Manitoba - Jacksonville IceMen
- Hensick to Wear the C - Toledo Walleye
- Beast Announce Leadership Group Ahead of Home Opener - Brampton Beast
- Preview: Everblades vs Admirals - Opening Night - Norfolk Admirals
- Growlers Pregame Notes: October 11 vs. Reading Royals - Newfoundland Growlers
- Royals Look to Spoil Growlers' Home Opener - Reading Royals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Kansas City Mavericks Stories
- Mavericks Collect 4,717 Stuffed Toys from Annual Teddy Bear Toss
- Mavs Shutout for First Time All Season, Lose 4-0 to Indy
- Mavs Monday: KC Continues to Roll with Winning Weekend
- Mavs Finish Three-In-Three Weekend with Loss in Wichita
- Mavericks Extend Winning Streak to Four with Commanding 5-1 Win over Fort Wayne