Oilers Gallop Past Mavericks on Opening Night
TULSA, OK - Tulsa never trailed in a 5-2 victory over the Kansas City Mavericks on Friday at the BOK Center.
Anaheim Ducks' contracted forward Deven Sideroff opened the scoring on the new season, ripping a puck past rookie goaltender Hayden Hawkey 4:09 into the action. Forward Jack Walker tied the game up quickly, scoring off a feed from behind the net. Oilers' captain Adam Pleskach closed out the opening period of his 400th career game in an Oilers' sweater with a goal at the 18:16 mark that gave the Oilers a 2-1 lead.
David Dziurzynski tied the game again with a four-on-four goal off a non-conspicuous play 8:35 into the second period, but Rookie defenseman Jake Clifford answered the bell with a blast from the point with just under six minutes left in the middle frame. The goal was his first career goal and the first video-reviewed goal in Oilers' history.
Ryan Tesink opened his 2019-20 account with a goal at the 8:58 mark of the final frame when the puck slipped behind Hawkey, and the veteran forward jammed it home. Sideroff followed up roughly eight minutes later with his second strike of the night, another powerful wrister. Danny Moynihan picked up his first point as an Oiler on the play as well.
Tulsa will continue opening weekend Saturday with a Mountain-Division matchup against rivals Allen at 7:05 p.m. before closing out the weekend with a Sunday matinee game against the Rapid City Rush at 4:05 p.m.
Oilers Season and Group Tickets are on sale now! Call the Oilers front office at 918-632-PUCK (7825) or visit www.tulsaoilers.com for more information.
Images from this story
Tulsa Oilers celebrate a goal on opening night
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from October 11, 2019
- Topping It off with an Overtime Win - Allen Americans
- Fuel Battle to the Finish in OT Win over Thunder - Indy Fuel
- Steelheads Open Season with 3-2 Win over Grizzlies - Idaho Steelheads
- Oilers Gallop Past Mavericks on Opening Night - Tulsa Oilers
- Everblades Edge Norfolk on Opening Night - Norfolk Admirals
- Mavericks Drop Season Opener in Tulsa, 5-2 - Kansas City Mavericks
- Thunder Spoil Mariners' Home Opener, Win 5-2 - Adirondack Thunder
- Opening Statement: 'Blades Top Admirals 4-3 to Pick up First Win - Florida Everblades
- Mariners Comeback Attempt Falls Short in Home Opener - Maine Mariners
- Royals Overcome Third-Period Deficit for 6-5 Win on Opening Night - Reading Royals
- Growlers Fall 6-5 in Home Opener to Reading - Newfoundland Growlers
- Game Notes: at Allen - Rapid City Rush
- Mavericks Announce Captains for 2019-20 Season - Kansas City Mavericks
- Nailers Announce 2019-20 Roster & Captains - Wheeling Nailers
- John Gurskis Hired as an Assistant Coach - Wichita Thunder
- Rush Name Leadership Team for 2019-20 Season - Rapid City Rush
- Solar Bears Welcome Jewett Orthopaedic Clinic as New Rink Naming Rights Partner - Orlando Solar Bears
- Canucks Assign Rookie Defenseman to Kalamazoo - Kalamazoo Wings
- IceMen Receive Pair of Defensemen from AHL Manitoba - Jacksonville IceMen
- Hensick to Wear the C - Toledo Walleye
- Beast Announce Leadership Group Ahead of Home Opener - Brampton Beast
- Preview: Everblades vs Admirals - Opening Night - Norfolk Admirals
- Growlers Pregame Notes: October 11 vs. Reading Royals - Newfoundland Growlers
- Royals Look to Spoil Growlers' Home Opener - Reading Royals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.