Topping It off with an Overtime Win
Allen, Texas - The Allen Americans opened the 2019-2020 season at home against the Rapid City Rush on Friday night at Allen Event Center, and they rallied twice before eventually winning in overtime on a two-goal night from forward Jordan Topping.
The Rush opened the scoring in the first period on a goal by Alex Rauter, his first of the season, on a delayed penalty. The Rush took a 1-0 lead to the locker room. Rapid City outshot Allen 8 to 5 in the first.
Brett Pollock tied the score early in the second period, following up a Shawn O'Donnell shot putting it past Rush netminder Tyler Parks for his first of the season. The game changed again just a little over five minutes later when former Americans forward Tyler Poulson beat Jake Paterson for his first of the year and put Rapid City up 2-1.
The Americans tied the game late in the third period on Jordan Topping's first goal of the season at the 18:29 mark from Alex Breton and Jason Salvaggio. It wouldn't be the last time Topping would bring the Allen crowd to their feet, as he found twine for a second time in overtime on a setup from newly acquired rookie forward Josh Lammon, and the Americans beat Rapid City 3-2.
"It's obviously a good feeling when you win a game like that," said Jordan Topping. "Our team battled the whole night. It's always nice to get rewarded with a win. I think we're going to carry this into tomorrow."
The Americans continue the weekend tomorrow night in Tulsa, Oklahoma with their first meeting of the season with the Oilers. Puck drop is at 7:05 pm.
1. ALN - J. Topping
2. ALN - J. Paterson
3. RC - T. Parks
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from October 11, 2019
- Topping It off with an Overtime Win - Allen Americans
- Fuel Battle to the Finish in OT Win over Thunder - Indy Fuel
- Steelheads Open Season with 3-2 Win over Grizzlies - Idaho Steelheads
- Oilers Gallop Past Mavericks on Opening Night - Tulsa Oilers
- Everblades Edge Norfolk on Opening Night - Norfolk Admirals
- Mavericks Drop Season Opener in Tulsa, 5-2 - Kansas City Mavericks
- Thunder Spoil Mariners' Home Opener, Win 5-2 - Adirondack Thunder
- Opening Statement: 'Blades Top Admirals 4-3 to Pick up First Win - Florida Everblades
- Mariners Comeback Attempt Falls Short in Home Opener - Maine Mariners
- Royals Overcome Third-Period Deficit for 6-5 Win on Opening Night - Reading Royals
- Growlers Fall 6-5 in Home Opener to Reading - Newfoundland Growlers
- Game Notes: at Allen - Rapid City Rush
- Mavericks Announce Captains for 2019-20 Season - Kansas City Mavericks
- Nailers Announce 2019-20 Roster & Captains - Wheeling Nailers
- John Gurskis Hired as an Assistant Coach - Wichita Thunder
- Rush Name Leadership Team for 2019-20 Season - Rapid City Rush
- Solar Bears Welcome Jewett Orthopaedic Clinic as New Rink Naming Rights Partner - Orlando Solar Bears
- Canucks Assign Rookie Defenseman to Kalamazoo - Kalamazoo Wings
- IceMen Receive Pair of Defensemen from AHL Manitoba - Jacksonville IceMen
- Hensick to Wear the C - Toledo Walleye
- Beast Announce Leadership Group Ahead of Home Opener - Brampton Beast
- Preview: Everblades vs Admirals - Opening Night - Norfolk Admirals
- Growlers Pregame Notes: October 11 vs. Reading Royals - Newfoundland Growlers
- Royals Look to Spoil Growlers' Home Opener - Reading Royals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.