Royals Overcome Third-Period Deficit for 6-5 Win on Opening Night
St. John's, NL - Brayden Low and Pascal Laberge scored ten seconds apart in the third period, helping the Reading Royals overcome a one-goal third-period deficit to wave off the Newfoundland Growlers, 6-5, in the 2019-20 season opener Friday at Mile One Centre. Low scored net front on a pass from Garrett Mitchell (2a). Off the ensuing face-off, Pascal Laberge found a misfired, ricocheted pass at the slot and buried it top-right corner at 8:34 of the third. Felix SandstrÃ¶m blocked 11 shots in a perfect third period and finished with 25 saves. Maxsim Zhukov took the loss with 18 saves (6 GA).
In addition to the one-goal comeback, the Royals also engineered a four-goal run after falling behind, 3-0, in the first. Steven Swavely (2a) finished with a multi-point game in addition to Ralph Cuddemi (2g) and Mitchell.
The 2019-20 season is presented by Tower Health UPMC Health Plan. The second game of the three-game trip at Newfoundland starts Saturday at 5:30 p.m. Watch on BCTV and listen on mixlr.com/readingroyals.
The first Royals' home game on Oct. 19 vs. Maine features a massive block party, games, food, drinks and a special "Downtown Alive" concert on Penn Street before the home opener.
Single-game tickets and mini-plans are on sale by visiting royalshockey.com/promotions, calling 610-898-7825 and visiting Santander Arena and The Weidenhammer Box Office at 700 Penn Street, Reading, PA.
Down by three with fewer than eight minutes remaining in the first, the Royals notched three straight goals to even the score on their next four shots. First, Garret Cockerill sniped it from the top of the left dot with 4:26 left, assisted by Rob Michel and captain Garrett Mitchell. Next, with 3:04 left, Ralph Cuddemi scored on a shot that fooled Zhukov from the top of the right circle. To finish the run, with 45 seconds left in the first, Frank DiChiara sniped it and scored through Zhukov from the right circle.
The Royals then came back with goals on consecutive shots in the final nine minutes of the third with strikes from Brayden Low and Pascal Laberge.
SandstrÃ¶m steady at the end
With 11 saves in the third period, Felix SandstrÃ¶m battled back to move to 1-0-0-0 after giving up five goals on his first 20 shots faced. That included goals on three straight shots on the first period, which allowed Zach O'Brien (2g) and Newfoundland to take a 3-0 lead.
SandstrÃ¶m was drafted 70th overall by Philadelphia in the third round of the 2015 NHL Entry Draft. This is his first season in North America.
Cuddemi debuts strongly (again)
Ralph Cuddemi potted a pair of goals, the Royals 2nd (16:56 of 1st) and 4th (3:10 of 2nd), both of which provided key strikes at different times. The first goal gave the Royals two tallies in 1:21, which made the score 3-2 and prevented Newfoundland from adding more insurance. Next, Cuddemi gave the Royals his first lead with a snipe from inside the left circle on a 2-on-1. He scored 22 times for Wichita last season.
He also scored in the Royals first preseason game a week ago vs. Adirondack.
Reading's new five-game mini-plan includes a meal for every game, a Reading Royals Hat, an exclusive fan experience, an autographed team picture and a guaranteed giveaway for each of the 5 games. Purchase your seat or seats today by calling 610-898-7825 or by visiting https://bit.ly/2LSHBp8.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from October 11, 2019
- Topping It off with an Overtime Win - Allen Americans
- Fuel Battle to the Finish in OT Win over Thunder - Indy Fuel
- Steelheads Open Season with 3-2 Win over Grizzlies - Idaho Steelheads
- Oilers Gallop Past Mavericks on Opening Night - Tulsa Oilers
- Everblades Edge Norfolk on Opening Night - Norfolk Admirals
- Mavericks Drop Season Opener in Tulsa, 5-2 - Kansas City Mavericks
- Thunder Spoil Mariners' Home Opener, Win 5-2 - Adirondack Thunder
- Opening Statement: 'Blades Top Admirals 4-3 to Pick up First Win - Florida Everblades
- Mariners Comeback Attempt Falls Short in Home Opener - Maine Mariners
- Royals Overcome Third-Period Deficit for 6-5 Win on Opening Night - Reading Royals
- Growlers Fall 6-5 in Home Opener to Reading - Newfoundland Growlers
- Game Notes: at Allen - Rapid City Rush
- Mavericks Announce Captains for 2019-20 Season - Kansas City Mavericks
- Nailers Announce 2019-20 Roster & Captains - Wheeling Nailers
- John Gurskis Hired as an Assistant Coach - Wichita Thunder
- Rush Name Leadership Team for 2019-20 Season - Rapid City Rush
- Solar Bears Welcome Jewett Orthopaedic Clinic as New Rink Naming Rights Partner - Orlando Solar Bears
- Canucks Assign Rookie Defenseman to Kalamazoo - Kalamazoo Wings
- IceMen Receive Pair of Defensemen from AHL Manitoba - Jacksonville IceMen
- Hensick to Wear the C - Toledo Walleye
- Beast Announce Leadership Group Ahead of Home Opener - Brampton Beast
- Preview: Everblades vs Admirals - Opening Night - Norfolk Admirals
- Growlers Pregame Notes: October 11 vs. Reading Royals - Newfoundland Growlers
- Royals Look to Spoil Growlers' Home Opener - Reading Royals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Reading Royals Stories
- Pair of Blue Liners Cockerill and Drake Return for Purple and Orange
- This Saturday: Radio Recon Returns to Beverly Hills Tavern
- Royals Nab F Vanderlaan from Kansas City for Future Considerations
- Mackin Returns on ECHL Contract Following Stellar Rookie Season
- Royals Next Player Signing Tuesday at Noon on Facebook Live