Growlers Pregame Notes: October 11 vs. Reading Royals
FRIDAY, OCTOBER 11TH & SATURDAY, OCTOBER 12TH (7 PM NST)
Newfoundland Growlers vs. Reading Royals
WATCH: Rogers TV, ECHL TV LISTEN: mixlr.com/nlgrowlers
The defending Kelly Cup Champion Newfoundland Growlers kick off their 2019-2020 season Friday and Saturday night for Molson Opening Weekend against the Reading Royals, ECHL affiliate of the Philadelphia Flyers. The 2019 Kelly Cup Championship banner will be raised to the rafters of Mile One Centre prior to puck drop Friday night, and on Saturday night each fan in attendance will receive a replica mini championship banner.
The Growlers and Royals are North Division rivals and squared off 11 times last season, with the Growlers sporting a 7-4 record.
Scott Pooley had a pair of goals as the Newfoundland Growlers tamed the Brampton Beast 5-4 Saturday evening at the Earnscliffe Arena to sweep the two-game preseason series. Matt Bradley, Colt Conrad and Justin Brazeau also tallied for the Growlers. Giorgio Estephan chipped in with a pair of assists. Nathan Todd scored a pair for the Beast, while Christopher Clapperton and Matt McLeod each scored once. Patrick Munson started between the pipes for the Growlers and made 15 saves on 17 shots, and was replaced by Ian Milosz, who turned aside 13 shots halfway through the game. Alex Dubeau played the entire game for Brampton and allowed five goals on 26 shots.
Scott Pooley had three goals in two preseason games and has led the Growlers in preseason scoring in back-to-back seasons
Tommy Panico was a team-leading +5 in the preseason
Zach O'Brien recorded 12 points in six games against Reading last season
Trevor Gooch and Matthew Gaudreau led the Royals with three points in a two-game preseason series against the Adirondack Thunder
Garrett Mitchell has skated in 400 AHL games and served three seasons as captain of the Hershey Bears
Steven Swavely has 98 points in 105 ECHL games
March 23rd - 3-2 Newfoundland Growlers (SO)
Garrett Johnston netted the shootout winner in the 12th round as the Newfoundland Growlers edged the Reading Royals 3-2 Saturday night at the Santander Arena in Reading, Pennsylvania. Marcus Power and Brady Ferguson scored for the Growlers in regulation time. Eamon McAdam was excellent between the pipes for Newfoundland making 42 saves along with stopping 11-of-12 shootout attempts.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from October 11, 2019
- Topping It off with an Overtime Win - Allen Americans
- Fuel Battle to the Finish in OT Win over Thunder - Indy Fuel
- Steelheads Open Season with 3-2 Win over Grizzlies - Idaho Steelheads
- Oilers Gallop Past Mavericks on Opening Night - Tulsa Oilers
- Everblades Edge Norfolk on Opening Night - Norfolk Admirals
- Mavericks Drop Season Opener in Tulsa, 5-2 - Kansas City Mavericks
- Thunder Spoil Mariners' Home Opener, Win 5-2 - Adirondack Thunder
- Opening Statement: 'Blades Top Admirals 4-3 to Pick up First Win - Florida Everblades
- Mariners Comeback Attempt Falls Short in Home Opener - Maine Mariners
- Royals Overcome Third-Period Deficit for 6-5 Win on Opening Night - Reading Royals
- Growlers Fall 6-5 in Home Opener to Reading - Newfoundland Growlers
- Game Notes: at Allen - Rapid City Rush
- Mavericks Announce Captains for 2019-20 Season - Kansas City Mavericks
- Nailers Announce 2019-20 Roster & Captains - Wheeling Nailers
- John Gurskis Hired as an Assistant Coach - Wichita Thunder
- Rush Name Leadership Team for 2019-20 Season - Rapid City Rush
- Solar Bears Welcome Jewett Orthopaedic Clinic as New Rink Naming Rights Partner - Orlando Solar Bears
- Canucks Assign Rookie Defenseman to Kalamazoo - Kalamazoo Wings
- IceMen Receive Pair of Defensemen from AHL Manitoba - Jacksonville IceMen
- Hensick to Wear the C - Toledo Walleye
- Beast Announce Leadership Group Ahead of Home Opener - Brampton Beast
- Preview: Everblades vs Admirals - Opening Night - Norfolk Admirals
- Growlers Pregame Notes: October 11 vs. Reading Royals - Newfoundland Growlers
- Royals Look to Spoil Growlers' Home Opener - Reading Royals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.