Stars Fall to Hustle in Overtime
SOUTHAVEN, Miss. - The Salt Lake City Stars, the official NBA G League affiliate of the Utah Jazz, fell to the Memphis Hustle 122-119 in overtime tonight in the club's first game back from the break.
The Stars (19-19) were led by Utah Jazz two-way player Tyler Cavanaugh, who recorded his second consecutive 20/10 game (sixth double-double of the season) with a game-high-tying 25 points and a season-high 15 rebounds, logging career highs in free throws made and attempted (10-of-10 FT). Stephaun Branch tallied a season-high-tying 19 points to go with eight rebounds, while Utah Jazz two-way player Naz Mitrou-Long finished with 17 points, six rebounds, five assists and three steals. Jairus Lyles led all Stars reserves with 17 points and five assists, and Justin Reyes scored 11 points (eight in the first quarter) and swiped a career-high four steals.
The Hustle (21-17) were paced by Dusty Hannahs, who scored a game-high-tying 25 points off the bench. Tarik Phillip recorded his second-straight double-double with 15 points and 10 rebounds to go with seven assists and three steals, while Memphis Grizzlies two-way player Julian Washburn scored 18 points.
The Stars led by one point (61-60) early in the third quarter, and Salt Lake City went on a 19-2 run to build an 18-point advantage (80-62) with 6:25 remaining in the frame. The Stars led by 14 points (92-78) entering the fourth quarter, but the Hustle tied the game at 105-apiece with 3:14 left in the game courtesy of a 20-5 run. The game was knotted at 111-all when time expired in regulation to force overtime, the Stars' third overtime contest this season, and Memphis outscored Salt Lake City 11-8 in the two-minute extra period to earn the win.
Salt Lake City will travel to face the Lakeland Magic (Orlando Magic affiliate) on Friday, Feb. 22, to complete its four-game road swing. The match tips off at 5 p.m. (MT) and will be broadcast on Facebook Live, which is accessible via the Salt Lake City Stars Facebook page.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from February 21, 2019
- Blue Coats Acquire 2019 Fourth-Round Draft Pick from Greensboro Swarm - Delaware Blue Coats
- Greensboro Swarm Complete Two Trades - Greensboro Swarm
- Erie BayHawks Complete Trade with Greensboro Swarm - Erie BayHawks
- Windy City Bulls Acquire Tiwian Kendley and 2019 Fourth-Round Pick in Trade with Capital City - Windy City Bulls
- Capital City Acquires Dikembe Dixson and 2019 Third-Round Pick in Trade with Windy City - Capital City Go-Go
- Go-Go to Host Education Day - Capital City Go-Go
- Agua Caliente Clippers Acquire Returning Rights to Beech, Shepard - Agua Caliente Clippers
- Santa Cruz Warriors Complete Trade for Returning Rights to Guard Andre Dawkins, 2019 Draft Pick - Santa Cruz Warriors
- Stars to Host "Utah Jazz Night" on March 1 - Salt Lake City Stars
- Phoenix Suns Recall Melton from NAZ Suns - Northern Arizona Suns
- New York Knicks Sign John Jenkins - Westchester Knicks
- Stockton Kings Defeat Santa Cruz Warriors, 117-112 - Stockton Kings
- Rested Clips Defeat Bulls - Agua Caliente Clippers
- Santa Cruz Warriors Fall 117-112 to Stockton Kings, Split Season Series 2-2 - Santa Cruz Warriors
- Stars Fall to Hustle in Overtime - Salt Lake City Stars
- Trio of Phoenix Suns Leads NAZ Suns to Victory over Lakers - Northern Arizona Suns
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.