Stars End Regular Season with Home Win over Iowa
SALT LAKE CITY - The Salt Lake City Stars, the official NBA G League affiliate of the Utah Jazz, defeated the Iowa Wolves 109-103 tonight to wrap up the 2018-19 regular season. The Stars remain in playoff contention and could clinch the first postseason berth in the Salt Lake City Era (since 2016-17) by virtue of a Santa Cruz Warriors win over the Agua Caliente Clippers tomorrow evening.
The Stars (27-23) were led by Isaiah Cousins, who tallied his 10th 20-point game of the season with a game-high 27 points on 12-of-16 (.750) from the floor. Utah Jazz two-way player Tyler Cavanaugh recorded his third-straight double-double (fourth in the last five games) with 18 points and 13 boards, while Utah Jazz two-way player Naz Mitrou-Long scored 26 points, logging his 12th 20-point game of the season.
All five Wolves starters scored in double figures. Iowa (20-30) was paced by Hakim Warrick, who scored 18 points, and Minnesota Timberwolves two-way player Jared Terrell led all Wolves reserves with 15 points. Minnesota Timberwolves two-way player C.J. Williams also chipped in 15 points.
The game was tightly contested through the first half of play, with Salt Lake City holding a two-point lead (57-55) at intermission. The Stars began to pull away in the third frame, owning a 15-point lead (77-62), their largest lead of the game, with 6:25 remaining in the quarter. The Wolves answered with a 15-5 run to cut the Stars' lead to five (82-77) at the end of the third period. Trailing by eight (101-93) with 3:10 left to play, the Wolves went on a 10-4 run to pull within two (105-103) with 1:10 remaining, but the Stars finished the game by scoring four unanswered points to earn the victory.
The Stars completed the 2018-19 season with 27 wins, the club's first winning season in the Salt Lake City Era (since 2016-17) and the franchise's most wins since 2008-09 (31) when it was based in Idaho. The Stars improved by 11 wins this season compared to the 2017-18 campaign, the largest season-over-season improvement in the NBA G League this year.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from March 23, 2019
- Windy City Concludes Regular Season with Third Straight Loss, Fall 120-109 to Canton - Windy City Bulls
- Best in the West: Vipers Lock in First Round Bye with Win over Skyforce - Sioux Falls Skyforce
- Best in the West: Vipers Lock in First Round Bye with Win over Skyforce - Rio Grande Valley Vipers
- Blue Coats Pinch Red Claws in Final Game of Season - Delaware Blue Coats
- Swarm Dispatch Legends in Sold out Season Finale - Greensboro Swarm
- Running of the Bulls - Charge Cap off Campaign with Win - Canton Charge
- Long Island Defeats Wisconsin in Regular Season Finale - Long Island Nets
- BayHawks End Season with Win - Erie BayHawks
- Drive Hold off Mad Ants in Regular Season Finale - Fort Wayne Mad Ants
- Knicks Edged by One in Regular Season Finale - Westchester Knicks
- Drive Clinch Division Title with Win over Fort Wayne - Grand Rapids Drive
- Magic Take Down 905 in Regular Season Finale - Lakeland Magic
- Suns Waive Jawun Evans - Northern Arizona Suns
- Golden State Warriors Recall Guard Jacob Evans III - Santa Cruz Warriors
- Kings Assign Cody Demps to Stockton Kings - Stockton Kings
- Anthony Brown Suffers Season-Ending Injury - Lakeland Magic
- Knicks Close out Regular Season at Erie - Westchester Knicks
- Santa Cruz Warriors Take Down Agua Caliente Clippers, 113-109 - Santa Cruz Warriors
- Stars End Regular Season with Home Win over Iowa - Salt Lake City Stars
- Iowa Unable to Complete Comeback in Season Finale - Iowa Wolves
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.