Santa Cruz Warriors Take Down Agua Caliente Clippers, 113-109
SANTA CRUZ, CA -The Santa Cruz Warriors (33-16) mounted a second half comeback to defeat the Agua Caliente Clippers of Ontario (26-23) tonight at Kaiser Permanente Arena, 113-109. Santa Cruz will now complete their home back-to-back against Agua Caliente tomorrow night, with the Warriors clinching a first-round bye in the 2019 NBA G League Playoffs with a win.
Warriors guard Kendrick Nunn scored 19 points, including 11 in the fourth quarter, in just 27 minutes off the bench tonight. Darius Morris secured 16 points on 8-of-13 from the field, including 10 points in the critical third quarter. Santa Cruz scored 29 points off 20 Clippers turnovers tonight, including a career-high five steals from two-way guard Damion Lee.
Two-way forward Johnathan Motley notched a game-high 28 points and five rebounds tonight. Fellow two-way big man Angel Delgado logged 15 points and 17 rebounds, giving him a G League season high 34 double-doubles this season.
Agua Caliente started the night with a 20-6 run, shooting 8-of-13 from the field (61.5 percent FG) and 4-of-6 from three (66.7 percent 3FG). Jerome Robinson, Manu Lacomte and Motley combined for 23 of the team's 31 points to take a nine-point lead, 31-22. Motley continued his tear, scoring nine points on a perfect 3-for-3 from the field in the second period, as the Clippers shot 65.0 percent from the field (13-of-20 FG) to take a 62-47 halftime lead.
Santa Cruz mounted a 10-0 Warriors run midway through the third quarter, with six points and an assist coming from Morris, to bring the lead down to just five points, 87-82. Nunn and the Warriors obtained their first lead of the game thanks to a 13-0 fourth quarter run, with the Clippers shooting 4-of-11 from the free throw line to give Santa Cruz the win.
The Sea Dubs scored a season-high 66 points in the second half tonight, with the bench scoring 37 of those points. Most critically, the Warriors forced 12 Clippers turnovers in the second half, generating 18 points to complete their 15-point halftime comeback.
The Santa Cruz Warriors will complete their back-to-back set against the Agua Caliente Clippers tomorrow night at Kaiser Permanente Arena at 7:00 p.m. PDT. The Warriors will host a Fan Appreciation Night, presented by Bay Federal Credit Union, with the first 1,500 fans in attendance receiving Warriors Pom Poms For tickets to Saturday night, visit santacruzbasketball.com or call (831) 713-4400.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from March 23, 2019
- Windy City Concludes Regular Season with Third Straight Loss, Fall 120-109 to Canton - Windy City Bulls
- Best in the West: Vipers Lock in First Round Bye with Win over Skyforce - Sioux Falls Skyforce
- Best in the West: Vipers Lock in First Round Bye with Win over Skyforce - Rio Grande Valley Vipers
- Blue Coats Pinch Red Claws in Final Game of Season - Delaware Blue Coats
- Swarm Dispatch Legends in Sold out Season Finale - Greensboro Swarm
- Running of the Bulls - Charge Cap off Campaign with Win - Canton Charge
- Long Island Defeats Wisconsin in Regular Season Finale - Long Island Nets
- BayHawks End Season with Win - Erie BayHawks
- Drive Hold off Mad Ants in Regular Season Finale - Fort Wayne Mad Ants
- Knicks Edged by One in Regular Season Finale - Westchester Knicks
- Drive Clinch Division Title with Win over Fort Wayne - Grand Rapids Drive
- Magic Take Down 905 in Regular Season Finale - Lakeland Magic
- Suns Waive Jawun Evans - Northern Arizona Suns
- Golden State Warriors Recall Guard Jacob Evans III - Santa Cruz Warriors
- Kings Assign Cody Demps to Stockton Kings - Stockton Kings
- Anthony Brown Suffers Season-Ending Injury - Lakeland Magic
- Knicks Close out Regular Season at Erie - Westchester Knicks
- Santa Cruz Warriors Take Down Agua Caliente Clippers, 113-109 - Santa Cruz Warriors
- Stars End Regular Season with Home Win over Iowa - Salt Lake City Stars
- Iowa Unable to Complete Comeback in Season Finale - Iowa Wolves
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Santa Cruz Warriors Stories
- Santa Cruz Warriors to Host Three Hardwood Classics Nights
- Santa Cruz Warriors Name Ryan Atkinson General Manager
- Santa Cruz Warriors Announce 2019-20 Season Schedule
- Santa Cruz Warriors Name Kris Weems Head Coach
- Golden State Warriors Sign Ky Bowman & Damion Lee to Two-Way Contracts