Drive Hold off Mad Ants in Regular Season Finale
Fort Wayne, Ind. - The Grand Rapids Drive defeated the Fort Wayne Mad Ants, 121-118, at the Allen County War Memorial Coliseum on Saturday night in front of a crowd of 5,553.
With the win, Grand Rapids (28-22) clinched the first central division title in franchise history.
Indiana Pacers assignee Alize Johnson shined for Fort Wayne (23-27) finishing with a career-high 34 points to go along with 11 rebounds. Johnson pitched in 19 in the first quarter, which was four off tying the record for the most points scored in a quarter by a Mad Ants player in franchise history.
Rob Gray came off the bench in the season finale to chip in 22 points, seven rebounds and six assists. Gray led the Mad Ants' bench in scoring in 25 of the 50 games this season for Fort Wayne.
Edmond Sumner capped the Mad Ants season with 13 points and a new career-high 10 assists in 32 minutes of action.
Despite 40 points in the first quarter from Fort Wayne, Grand Rapids scored the most points against the Mad Ants in a half all season, helping the Drive go into the locker room with a 78-70 lead.
Detroit Pistons two-way guard Isaiah Whitehead led the Drive with 31 points and six rebounds.
Adam Woodbury finished with 14 points and 11 rebounds as the Drive advanced to postseason play for the second consecutive season.
Pistons two-way guard Kalin Lucas added 22 points on a perfect 12-for-12 clip from the free throw line.
Michael Bethea Jr. ended the night with 17 points off the bench for Grand Rapids.
Mad Ants ticket options for the 2019-20 season are available by calling 260-469-4667.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from March 23, 2019
- Windy City Concludes Regular Season with Third Straight Loss, Fall 120-109 to Canton - Windy City Bulls
- Best in the West: Vipers Lock in First Round Bye with Win over Skyforce - Sioux Falls Skyforce
- Best in the West: Vipers Lock in First Round Bye with Win over Skyforce - Rio Grande Valley Vipers
- Blue Coats Pinch Red Claws in Final Game of Season - Delaware Blue Coats
- Swarm Dispatch Legends in Sold out Season Finale - Greensboro Swarm
- Running of the Bulls - Charge Cap off Campaign with Win - Canton Charge
- Long Island Defeats Wisconsin in Regular Season Finale - Long Island Nets
- BayHawks End Season with Win - Erie BayHawks
- Drive Hold off Mad Ants in Regular Season Finale - Fort Wayne Mad Ants
- Knicks Edged by One in Regular Season Finale - Westchester Knicks
- Drive Clinch Division Title with Win over Fort Wayne - Grand Rapids Drive
- Magic Take Down 905 in Regular Season Finale - Lakeland Magic
- Suns Waive Jawun Evans - Northern Arizona Suns
- Golden State Warriors Recall Guard Jacob Evans III - Santa Cruz Warriors
- Kings Assign Cody Demps to Stockton Kings - Stockton Kings
- Anthony Brown Suffers Season-Ending Injury - Lakeland Magic
- Knicks Close out Regular Season at Erie - Westchester Knicks
- Santa Cruz Warriors Take Down Agua Caliente Clippers, 113-109 - Santa Cruz Warriors
- Stars End Regular Season with Home Win over Iowa - Salt Lake City Stars
- Iowa Unable to Complete Comeback in Season Finale - Iowa Wolves
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Fort Wayne Mad Ants Stories
- Mad Ants' Tim Bawmann to be Inducted into Futures League Hall of Fame
- Mad Ants and NBA G League Update Regarding Ticketing
- Fort Wayne Edges Grand Rapids in Closing Seconds, 105-103
- Fort Wayne Has Season Best Shooting Night in Win over College Park
- Indiana Pacers Assign Alize Johnson to Fort Wayne