Blue Coats Pinch Red Claws in Final Game of Season
WILMINGTON - The Delaware Blue Coats (21-29), the NBA G League affiliate of the Philadelphia 76ers, defeated the Maine Red Claws (19-31), 124-117, in the team's final game of the season on Saturday night at 76ers Fieldhouse. Seven Blue Coats scored in double figures to close out the schedule with a victory.
76ers two-way contract player Shake Milton posted a team-high 25 points (7-18 fg, 5-10 3fg, 6-8 ft) with three rebounds and three assists in 35 minutes for the Blue Coats. Milton ended the season with 23 points or more in nine of his 10 games after returning from injury on March 8. Rashad Vaughn added 20 points (7-14 fg, 1-5 3fg, 5-6 ft) in 28 minutes as a reserve.
76ers assignment player Jonah Bolden recorded a double-double with 17 points (6-11 fg, 2-6 3fg, 3-3 ft) and 12 rebounds in 23 minutes in his eighth game for the Blue Coats. Zhaire Smith, also on assignment from the 76ers, tallied 12 points (5-9 fg, 2-3 3fg), five rebounds and two assists in 27 minutes. Smith finished with double figures scoring in each of Delaware's final three games of the season.
"There were a lot of highlights," said head coach Connor Johnson of the season. "It's been a successful year in a lot of ways. We're really proud of the way these guys got better-from start to end, the way that we can all be proud of the season that we had. That's something that we can hang our hats on."
The game was tied 58-58 at halftime. Milton drained four of his five total 3-point field goals in the first half for the Blue Coats.
Thomas Robinson notched a game-high 34 points (15-22 fg, 1-2 3fg, 3-3 ft) to go along with 11 rebounds in 28 minutes off the bench for the Red Claws. Nick King added 21 points (10-20 fg, 1-3 3fg), seven rebounds and six assists in 33 minutes as a Maine reserve.
With the win, the Blue Coats finished the season above .500 (13-12) at home.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from March 23, 2019
- Windy City Concludes Regular Season with Third Straight Loss, Fall 120-109 to Canton - Windy City Bulls
- Best in the West: Vipers Lock in First Round Bye with Win over Skyforce - Sioux Falls Skyforce
- Best in the West: Vipers Lock in First Round Bye with Win over Skyforce - Rio Grande Valley Vipers
- Blue Coats Pinch Red Claws in Final Game of Season - Delaware Blue Coats
- Swarm Dispatch Legends in Sold out Season Finale - Greensboro Swarm
- Running of the Bulls - Charge Cap off Campaign with Win - Canton Charge
- Long Island Defeats Wisconsin in Regular Season Finale - Long Island Nets
- BayHawks End Season with Win - Erie BayHawks
- Drive Hold off Mad Ants in Regular Season Finale - Fort Wayne Mad Ants
- Knicks Edged by One in Regular Season Finale - Westchester Knicks
- Drive Clinch Division Title with Win over Fort Wayne - Grand Rapids Drive
- Magic Take Down 905 in Regular Season Finale - Lakeland Magic
- Suns Waive Jawun Evans - Northern Arizona Suns
- Golden State Warriors Recall Guard Jacob Evans III - Santa Cruz Warriors
- Kings Assign Cody Demps to Stockton Kings - Stockton Kings
- Anthony Brown Suffers Season-Ending Injury - Lakeland Magic
- Knicks Close out Regular Season at Erie - Westchester Knicks
- Santa Cruz Warriors Take Down Agua Caliente Clippers, 113-109 - Santa Cruz Warriors
- Stars End Regular Season with Home Win over Iowa - Salt Lake City Stars
- Iowa Unable to Complete Comeback in Season Finale - Iowa Wolves
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Delaware Blue Coats Stories
- Delaware Blue Coats' Marial Shayok and Christ Koumadje Receive 2019-20 All-NBA G League Honors
- Christ Koumadje Named 2019-20 NBA G League Defensive Player of the Year
- NBA G League Cancels Remainder of 2019-20 Season
- 76ers Fieldhouse to 'Light It Blue' for Illuminate Delaware
- Blue Coats and Blue Rocks Partner on Delaware Together Campaign